AL CENTRAL

My AL Central prediction sure to go wrong !

Detroit
Cleveland
Minnesota
Chi. White Sox
Kansas City

Last two subject to flip flopping ....
Hell, all of them subject to flip flopping :D

Division is wide open.
If Tiger pitching comes thru they should win
IF not, Cleveland

Jimbo

Tigers season report.

Time to play ball! Thankfully the Tigers don't open at home - 3-9"'s of snow on its way to Motown tomorrow.

Rotation: Hopefully this may be better than the last 2 seasons. Verlander has returned to throwing from his old arm slot, and may become the pitcher we all thought he should be. Jackson was surprising this spring, showing good velocity and movement. Galaragga is the unknown, because he was elsewhere this spring, but should be solid again. Porcello is young (20), but has shown remarkable poise, not unlike a veteran of a few seasons. The 5th spot belongs to Minor for now. He has pitched better as a starter than as a middle reliever. Bonderman should be back by May, and he is the biggest key to whether we sink or swim this season. All in all, not a bad rotation. If they're healthy, they're as good as anybody's in this division.

Bullpen: Well this is still a bit scary. BUT, Ryan Perry is a big kid with a Zumaya arm. Rodney has tabbed to be the closer, but Lyons is right there if he can't handle the job. Rodney is healthy for the first time in 2 seasons. Middle relief isn't anything to write home about, but then, who's is? The big key here is the return of Zumaya, hopefully also by May.

Defense: This is going to be the key to our turn around, after pitching. The infield is now air-tight with the additions of Everett at SS, and Laird at C. With Inge returning to 3rd base, and Polanco at 2nd base, we won't be seeing many ground balls ending up in the outfield this season. This alone will make the whole pitching staff 100% better, especially when compared to how awful the left side of the infield was last season. The outfield is anchored by the best CF in baseball (Granderson), who willl cover any mistakes Guillen may make in LF. Magglio is steady if unspectacular, in RF. The bench carries good fielders for defensive needs.

Hitting: What do I need to say here? Look for Cabrera to be a MVP candidate if the Tigers contend. On paper we don't look as fearsome as last season did at this point, but I'll trade the hitting in the last 3 spots for the added defense. Besides Pudge and Renteria didn't hit for crap last year either. Scoring will not be a problem for this team. With Inge being more comfortable playing at 3rd, I'm looking for a return to 06's numbers in the power department. Thames will finally get a chance to show what he can do with 400+ AB's this season, also.

Buy your World Series tickets if: The pitching stays healthy. Porcello and Ryan remind of a couple young arms that debuted in '06 - Verlander and Zumaya. If Bonderman and Zumaya overcome their arm problems, pitching will be the reason we win it all. Revamped defense will help greatly in this regard. "Old timey" baseball is back in Detroit.

Start rooting for the Lions in August if: Well OK, there is no reason to root for the Lions, anytime. If the injuries pile up, if Rodney, Bonderman, and Zumaya don't make it all the way back, we're doomed to a 4th place finish. Defense and hitting will keep us out of last.

Prediction: If everything outlined above works out, we can win the division. 90-92 wins are not beyond reason. This is a difficult division to forecast, Cleveland, and the Twins are equally stocked, and the White Sox are the defending champs. I'm curious to see how the Sox' youth movement works out for them. The Royals may still be a year away. Bottom line is that we can still play well and end up 4th anyhow. But that's why we play the games!

As always, I'll have plenty to say as the season progresses. This is my prognosis, and I'm sticking to it.

GO TIGERS!!!

Why do we have to be getting a foot of snow on my birthday (yes its really my birthday, thats what 4/6/80 is) :(

I cant wait to see 120 Tigers games in HD!!!

MLB Network is having a predictions show tonight at 6 eastern if anyone is interested.

[FONT=Courier,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Huron-Tuscola-Sanilac-Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-St. Clair- Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw- Including The Cities Of... Bad Axe... Caro... Sandusky... Owosso... Flint... Lapeer... Port Huron... Howell... Pontiac... Warren... Ann Arbor 304 PM EDT Sun Apr 5 2009

[FONT=Courier,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY
UNTIL 11:15PM EDT

Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI 304 PM EDT Sun Apr 5 2009

... Late Season Winter Storm Will Arrive Late This Evening...

.A Strong Late Season Winter Storm System Will Progress Into The Ohio Valley And Southern Great Lakes Late This Afternoon And Then Deepen As It Moves Through The Area Overnight Into Monday. Rain Will Develop In Advance Of This System Along And South Of Interstate 94 Sunday Evening... Becoming Heavy By Midnight. As Colder Air Is Wrapped Into The Storm System... Rain Will Mix With And Then Change To Snow Overnight. Farther North... Precipitation Will Likely Begin As Snow And Become Heavy At Overnight As The Storm Intensifies.

At This Time... It Appears That The Heaviest Swath Of Snow Will Set Up North Of The I-94 Corridor On North Into The Flint Area And On Into The Thumb... With Lesser Amounts Across The Saginaw Valley And Also Towards The Ohio Border. Warmer Air Will Hold On From Detroit South Keeping Precipitation As Rain Or A Mix Of Rain And Snow Until After Midnight.

Within The Area Of Heaviest Snowfall... 6 Or More Inches Can Be Expected By Monday Morning With Additional Minor Accumulations Continuing Through The Day On Monday. Locations To The South Of I-94 Will Be More Likely To Receive Only 2 To 5 Inches Of Snow With The Lightest Amounts Near The Ohio Border. However... This North To South Delineation Will Be Dependant On The Track Of The Low Pressure System And Additional Adjustments May Be Needed.

Stay Tuned To The Latest Statements And Forecasts For The Most Up To Date Information On This Upcoming Winter Storm.
[/FONT]

Time to play ball! Thankfully the Tigers don't open at home - 3-9"'s of snow on its way to Motown tomorrow.

Rotation: Hopefully this may be better than the last 2 seasons. Verlander has returned to throwing from his old arm slot, and may become the pitcher we all thought he should be. Jackson was surprising this spring, showing good velocity and movement. Galaragga is the unknown, because he was elsewhere this spring, but should be solid again. Porcello is young (20), but has shown remarkable poise, not unlike a veteran of a few seasons. The 5th spot belongs to Minor for now. He has pitched better as a starter than as a middle reliever. Bonderman should be back by May, and he is the biggest key to whether we sink or swim this season. All in all, not a bad rotation. If they're healthy, they're as good as anybody's in this division.

Bullpen: Well this is still a bit scary. BUT, Ryan Perry is a big kid with a Zumaya arm. Rodney has tabbed to be the closer, but Lyons is right there if he can't handle the job. Rodney is healthy for the first time in 2 seasons. Middle relief isn't anything to write home about, but then, who's is? The big key here is the return of Zumaya, hopefully also by May.

Defense: This is going to be the key to our turn around, after pitching. The infield is now air-tight with the additions of Everett at SS, and Laird at C. With Inge returning to 3rd base, and Polanco at 2nd base, we won't be seeing many ground balls ending up in the outfield this season. This alone will make the whole pitching staff 100% better, especially when compared to how awful the left side of the infield was last season. The outfield is anchored by the best CF in baseball (Granderson), who willl cover any mistakes Guillen may make in LF. Magglio is steady if unspectacular, in RF. The bench carries good fielders for defensive needs.

Hitting: What do I need to say here? Look for Cabrera to be a MVP candidate if the Tigers contend. On paper we don't look as fearsome as last season did at this point, but I'll trade the hitting in the last 3 spots for the added defense. Besides Pudge and Renteria didn't hit for crap last year either. Scoring will not be a problem for this team. With Inge being more comfortable playing at 3rd, I'm looking for a return to 06's numbers in the power department. Thames will finally get a chance to show what he can do with 400+ AB's this season, also.

Buy your World Series tickets if: The pitching stays healthy. Porcello and Ryan remind of a couple young arms that debuted in '06 - Verlander and Zumaya. If Bonderman and Zumaya overcome their arm problems, pitching will be the reason we win it all. Revamped defense will help greatly in this regard. "Old timey" baseball is back in Detroit.

Start rooting for the Lions in August if: Well OK, there is no reason to root for the Lions, anytime. If the injuries pile up, if Rodney, Bonderman, and Zumaya don't make it all the way back, we're doomed to a 4th place finish. Defense and hitting will keep us out of last.

Prediction: If everything outlined above works out, we can win the division. 90-92 wins are not beyond reason. This is a difficult division to forecast, Cleveland, and the Twins are equally stocked, and the White Sox are the defending champs. I'm curious to see how the Sox' youth movement works out for them. The Royals may still be a year away. Bottom line is that we can still play well and end up 4th anyhow. But that's why we play the games!

As always, I'll have plenty to say as the season progresses. This is my prognosis, and I'm sticking to it.

GO TIGERS!!!

Looking foward to tomorrow, I like the improved Defense, The picthing really scares me. Edwin Jackson needs to come thru big. For now I am in the Mind set that I dont know if Zumaya will be back. The rookies will be key on that staff.

Can Guillen and Maggilo hold up another year? Can Inge bump up to 270 or so and hit some HR's again!!. It is nice that Granderson is not hurt, as last year that injury kind of set the table for the season he had!

Also looking foward to see a game that counts tonight on ESPN2!

[FONT=Courier,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Huron-Tuscola-Sanilac-Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-St. Clair- Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw- Including The Cities Of... Bad Axe... Caro... Sandusky... Owosso... Flint... Lapeer... Port Huron... Howell... Pontiac... Warren... Ann Arbor 304 PM EDT Sun Apr 5 2009

[FONT=Courier,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY
UNTIL 11:15PM EDT

Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI 304 PM EDT Sun Apr 5 2009

... Late Season Winter Storm Will Arrive Late This Evening...

.A Strong Late Season Winter Storm System Will Progress Into The Ohio Valley And Southern Great Lakes Late This Afternoon And Then Deepen As It Moves Through The Area Overnight Into Monday. Rain Will Develop In Advance Of This System Along And South Of Interstate 94 Sunday Evening... Becoming Heavy By Midnight. As Colder Air Is Wrapped Into The Storm System... Rain Will Mix With And Then Change To Snow Overnight. Farther North... Precipitation Will Likely Begin As Snow And Become Heavy At Overnight As The Storm Intensifies.

At This Time... It Appears That The Heaviest Swath Of Snow Will Set Up North Of The I-94 Corridor On North Into The Flint Area And On Into The Thumb... With Lesser Amounts Across The Saginaw Valley And Also Towards The Ohio Border. Warmer Air Will Hold On From Detroit South Keeping Precipitation As Rain Or A Mix Of Rain And Snow Until After Midnight.

Within The Area Of Heaviest Snowfall... 6 Or More Inches Can Be Expected By Monday Morning With Additional Minor Accumulations Continuing Through The Day On Monday. Locations To The South Of I-94 Will Be More Likely To Receive Only 2 To 5 Inches Of Snow With The Lightest Amounts Near The Ohio Border. However... This North To South Delineation Will Be Dependant On The Track Of The Low Pressure System And Additional Adjustments May Be Needed.

Stay Tuned To The Latest Statements And Forecasts For The Most Up To Date Information On This Upcoming Winter Storm.
[/FONT]

Ya know, I just finished looking at that forcast at channel 4's website !

GO TIGERS!!!

Great scouting report, Paul! :up

I think the Tigers rotation has a chance to be dominating this year, IF Bonderman comes back strong in May. Not many teams can throw a Verlander/Bonderman/Jackson/Galaragga quartet at you. And with the multitude of options you have for the #5 spot, (and #4 if Bonderman is out longer than expected) one of Minor/Porcello/Robertson/Willis quartet should pan out.

You also make a great point about the Tigers defense up the middle......that could be the best interior defense in all of baseball. Like you said, THAT is a pitchers best friend.

The offense, as usual in Motown, is solid.

The bullpen (and Bonderman's health), IMO, will be the make-or-break part of the Tigers season.

If Zumaya is his 2006 self........watch out MLB!!!!

The Whitesox'll win the AL Central Division title.....end of discussion.

LMAO, yeah right.

The White Sox have issues this year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are in the cellar most of the season.

BTW, here's my predictions:

Tribe
Twins
Royals
Tigers (sorry fellas)
White Sox

OK, who actually PLAYS sports?

Shaq once had a video game of his own- a fighting game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)