942 Tv2

gdarwin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Lousville, KY
Will the TV2 tuner on a 942 tune to the HD channels on satellite and/or OTA? I'm used to viewing HD on my SD TV's attached to my 811 even though the top and bottom is black...

rockfeller said:
It does not show OTA channels.
I read somewhere on here that to get around this limitation you can just have the 942 start to record the OTA channel then you can start watching it on TV2. I get my 942 tomorrow so I'll check that out for myself.

You can only watch and record digital OTA stations on 942s. From what I understand the 942s could output "live" OTA channels, both analog & digital to TV2 but Dish has chosen not to enable this as they really want you to buy SD locals from them.

I have 2 - 942s. I have them set up in single mode and can watch "live" OTA on both TV1 and TV2. What you can not do is directly watch "live" OTA on TV2 when the 942 is in dual mode. The work around above can work if you go the dual mode route but remember that with only 1 OTA tuner you can only view 1 "live" OTA channel at a time be it TV1 or TV2 or on both.

Can one watch the OTA channels on TV2 if the 942 is operating in Single mode? That is, while watching OTA on TV1 can it simultaneously output the signal on the TV2 output?

CDH.

Yes the 942 can / does what you asked

I use TV1 in family room with HD TV and also feed a SD TV in kitchen using TV2. As I use Single Mode the TV2 "sees" the same picture as TV1 including OTA stations.

But note, the aspect ratio on TV2 on some digital stations / HD programs can have black side or top bars at this time. Dish is said to be working on a fix that would be included in future software update.

Grandpa J said:
Yes the 942 can / does what you asked

I use TV1 in family room with HD TV and also feed a SD TV in kitchen using TV2. As I use Single Mode the TV2 "sees" the same picture as TV1 including OTA stations.

But note, the aspect ratio on TV2 on some digital stations / HD programs can have black side or top bars at this time. Dish is said to be working on a fix that would be included in future software update.

This is good news. Would I get the bars if my TV2 were an SD 16:9 screen? I'm thinking of getting a cheap 17" or 19" LCD for the kitchen that I can then move to other rooms as needed. My house is prewired with splitters in the attic that can route signal to every room in the house.

CDH.

Format for picture on TV2 output

To follow up on this thread from a couple of months back... I'm in the market for a second TV and am considering a 19" wide-screen LCD.

Is there anyone out there using a 16:9 sized screen for TV2 in single-mode via the RF output? (I realize that even if it could send 16:9 formatted output it would only be SD quality and I'm okay with that.) If so, will it display wide-screen content from the DVR in proper 16:9 format or is everything on TV2 only formatted for 4:3?

If the latter then I'll save my self some $ and get a 4:3 LCD instead, but my preference would be for 16:9.

Thanks,
CDH.

Need help from a Dish guru!

2nd Dish Install Fee..??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)