Wimbledon 2009

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I recently created a similar thread outlining the details of the PGA's US Open. I figured Tennis deserves the same treatment for their upcoming prestigious tourney....

What:
Wimbledon 2009.The 3rd of Tennis' Grand Slam Events.

When:
June 22nd- July 5th.

Location: All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, England.

TV: DirecTV will most likely be airing their Mix-Coverage Interactive Channel as they do every other major sporting event. For the rest of you, ESPN still holds the national broadcast rights to this event.

Why Watch: It will be hard to top last year's epic Raffa vs. R-Fed all-day match, but there are still plenty of storylines to follow....

1. Rafael Nadal grabbed the #1 seed going into the Tournament, despite a recent knee injury and recent early elimination from the French Open. Will he even play? How is the injury going to effect Raffa?

2. Roger Federer tied Pete Sampras' all-time Grand Slam title at the French. Can he break the record at his favorite tournament on the famed grass courts? Will this give him the title of "best ever?"

3. For the women, Dinara Safina, the 23-year-old Russian, will be top seed at Wimbledon for the first time. Serena Williams is #2 and Venus #3. Maria Sharapova is ranked all the way down at #24, moslty because she spent the last year returning from an injury. Can Maria (now 22), replicate her performance as a 19-year-old when she last won Wimbledon? Or is she still a ways away from regaining form?

I think it's all about about Federer. Now that he got the monkey off his back at the French they'll be no stopping him at Wimbledon. Besides, it took an epic 5 set match last year for Nadal to dethrone Federer and now he's not even 100%. I doubt Nadal reaches the final.

I say Federer regains his title and breaks Sampras' record.

As for the women- it's a tossup. Anyone can win. I don't know who I should pick.

Venus or Serena. Flip a coin. The rest of the women are posers.

You forgot the #1 overall seed, Dinara Safina.

r1925771225.jpg

You forgot the #1 overall seed, Dinara Safina.

r1925771225.jpg
She's who I'm talking about. #1 in the world yet has never won a grand slam, and melted down in the finals of the Australian Open and French Open this year. I read that she was so nervous before the French Open final that she didn't hardly eat for 2 days and locked herself in her room and cried for 4 hours BEFORE the match. I'd bet on a one armed qualifer to win Wimbledon before I'd pick Safina. Of course by the looks of her she's got the same trainer as half the guys in MLB. :D

Nadal will play 2 exhibition matches before Wimbledon. He decided not to play in any of the "warm up " tournaments before Wimbledon.

Nadal has yet to play an entire season injury free.....and he is only in is early 20's!!!

You do have to admire the way he plays..100% on every point.

Federer will break Sampras record at this years Wimbledon.:)

If Venus or Serena are on.....no one can touch them. If they are off...anyones tournament.

Nadal will play 2 exhibition matches before Wimbledon. He decided not to play in any of the "warm up " tournaments before Wimbledon.

Nadal has yet to play an entire season injury free.....and he is only in is early 20's!!!

You do have to admire the way he plays..100% on every point.

Federer will break Sampras record at this years Wimbledon.:)

If Venus or Serena are on.....no one can touch them. If they are off...anyones tournament.

Good point. The way Raffa plays, his body surely can't hold up very long and I doubt he'll ever challenge Samprass or Roger for Career Slam Titles.

I do appreciate the way he plays though. When Raffa is on, he's as good as anyone else out there.

The French and Wimbledon are the two most boring of all the tennis events on the tour. I LOVE the US Open...the rest can be very vanilla and sometimes anti-climatic.

Nope. Wimbledon has NEVER done anything for me. Neither has the French....

Wow. Just wow!!!!!!

The 2008 Mens Wimbledon Final was considered by many as the "greatest matches of all time!"

It paired two of the greatest current players in Raffa vs. R-Fed. (#1 vs. #2, like Ali vs. Frasier). Roger was going for a record of 6 consecutive Wimbledon Titles. Raffa up until that day had never won at Wimbledon, although him and R-Fed have been long time rivals. Between two rain delays and the extended play, it was the longest match in Wimbledon history. The two went back and forth in what seemed like forever. Both seemed to be battling to the death, exerting every bit of energy and emotion they had left in them. Raffa went on to win his first Wimbledon Title that day and proceeded to climb into the stands to share the joy with his family. Roger on the other hand was an emotional mess on the court and cried his eyes out. The acceptance speech and statements by the two following the game was one of the most emotional sports moments I've witnessed in recent lifetime.

But as a Tennis fan, you didn't get much out of it?! Wow, just plain Wow!!! You may be the only person on the planet who can lay that claim! LMAO!

Wow. Just wow!!!!!!

The 2008 Mens Wimbledon Final was considered by many as the "greatest matches of all time!"

It paired two of the greatest current players in Raffa vs. R-Fed. (#1 vs. #2, like Ali vs. Frasier). Roger was going for a record of 6 consecutive Wimbledon Titles. Raffa up until that day had never won at Wimbledon, although him and R-Fed have been long time rivals. Between two rain delays and the extended play, it was the longest match in Wimbledon history. The two went back and forth in what seemed like forever. Both seemed to be battling to the death, exerting every bit of energy and emotion they had left in them. Raffa went on to win his first Wimbledon Title that day and proceeded to climb into the stands to share the joy with his family. Roger on the other hand was an emotional mess on the court and cried his eyes out. The acceptance speech and statements by the two following the game was one of the most emotional sports moments I've witnessed in recent lifetime.

But as a Tennis fan, you didn't get much out of it?! Wow, just plain Wow!!! You may be the only person on the planet who can lay that claim! LMAO!

NOT the match....the French and Wimbledon as a whole....

The French and Wimbledon are the two most boring of all the tennis events on the tour. I LOVE the US Open...the rest can be very vanilla and sometimes anti-climatic.
I don't know how you can say that. The quality of tennis at the French and Wimbledon is just as good as it is at the US Open. The only advantage of the US Open is that since it's in New York it's easier to follow the tournament.

I don't know how you can say that. The quality of tennis at the French and Wimbledon is just as good as it is at the US Open. The only advantage of the US Open is that since it's in New York it's easier to follow the tournament.

It just doesn't. I get more enjoyment with the US OPen than those other two. I am not a huge follower of tennis as some of you. AND to top it off, the women matches are much more exciting than the mens.

Overshadowed Games and Moments in Sports

Big NBA Trade!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)