Why No Free Movie For Non-Texters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why does anyone bother posting negative things about DIRECTV?

Obviously the OP wants to be keel hauled by the fanboys who offer chides more readily than help.

If you think I'm a fanboy then what most of us here think about you is correct. Why do you bother coming to the Directv forum when you have so little to contribute? Oh yeah, I remember.

Even my grandparents have the ability to TXT even though it's not on their plan, would cost them $0.10 to send one.

If one is so behind the times that all they use is a analog landline why do they even have DirecTV? I think a basic analog cable line up would be more suitable.

This is just like "TV stations went digital, I can't view them anymore, this is discrimination!". Join us in the 21st century or quit complaining, sheesh.

If you get a GoPhone and put $25 on it every 3 months that comes out to be just under $9 a month and you could send/receive 40 txt's a month with that if you make no calls.

If I have to offer details to a non texter as to how they can get the same deal as a person that does text, then there are deeper issues involved.
Texting has been proposed as an "alternate method" and so far the courts aren't buying it.

Labeling someone as a luddite doesn't seem like a valid answer to a gripe or a plea for help.

I've thought about it some more, and I think he should sue. This is a huge injustice, and a wrong that must be set right. ;)

To the OP, I am picking with you again, although I am sure Harsh will see it as otherwise.
I say, if you want to gripe about an issue, no matter how trivial it may seem to me, or anyone else, get after it. Thats one of the purposes of a message board/discussion forum.
However, sometimes gripes, and in particular gripes of a small nature such as this, will get a response from an opposite viewpoint, and some will be in a joking manner (or critical manner) such as you have seen here.

In the end, its no big deal, and I hope this small gripe aside you are satisfied with your service.

The OP is missing the point. The purpose of giving you a free movie in return for a text is that DTV's marketing department gets your cell phone information for their use in marketing, and marketing to partners, and selling to third parties. If you don't have a cell phone number to give them, they don't get value back.

If you want to have all the beads and baubles, you have to give up your privacy. Your choice.

OK guys. Wasn't really griping. Just thought it interesting that this offer was made to a particular segment only. And yes, I am totally happy with DTV. And also am not a dinosauer. I have hi-speed internet in my humble abode with wi-fi. Have 2 LED tv sets that are wi-fi connectable, so am able to access streaming movies, etc. if I should choose. Personally, I have absolutely no use for all of these hand-held devices as the majority of the population seems to. I have 2 laptop computers and OnStar hands free telephone in my 2011 GMC Terrain for any wireless telephoning that I may need to do. So anyway guys, have a nice day.

Don't feel picked on I don't text either, and never will. I have a cell phone instead of a land line because it's cheaper being on my son's account. I don't like it because I miss most of my calls. If I'm in another part of the house when the phone rings I don't hear it. Went on line to see if there was a louder "ringer" that you could set your phone into like you put it in the charger. I found lot's of requests for it but no one makes one.

Don't feel picked on I don't text either, and never will. I have a cell phone instead of a land line because it's cheaper being on my son's account. I don't like it because I miss most of my calls. If I'm in another part of the house when the phone rings I don't hear it. Went on line to see if there was a louder "ringer" that you could set your phone into like you put it in the charger. I found lot's of requests for it but no one makes one.

But you still have the ability to send D* a txt, it'll just cost you $0.10-$0.20 to send one without it on your plan. Never seen a carrier actually disable txting unless you ask them to.

You can send and receive texts for free from your computer or iPod. I have a cell phone. I don't have it on most of the time and it's sometimes charged up.... usually when I might need it while I'm out. I'm a techno-geek, but I hate being so connected. Kinda weird.... but anyways...

if you go to pinger.com/textfree you can create an account online.

Why did I do this if I already have a phone AND the app on my iPod? Because I HATE texting from my phone. I have a phone.... not one of the fancier ones with a little keyboard... AND I have fat fingers. I can text from my iPod if I happen to have it nearby, but I'm more often (like always) at my computer. It's CONVENIENT to be able to send a text from the computer AND easier (for me) with a regular keyboard. :)

And to the OP... I don't disagree with the idea that non-texters are left out on this, but it's a marketing thing and they have specific target market metrics they're dealing with. I get ads from places I've dealt with online that have special deals for previous customers that aren't available to first-time buyers. Or deals only available online (as opposed to walking in to their brick-and-mortar store locally) .... so target-market promos are nothing new. They just suck if you're not part of the market being targeted. :)

You can send and receive texts for free from your computer or iPod. I have a cell phone. I don't have it on most of the time and it's sometimes charged up.... usually when I might need it while I'm out. I'm a techno-geek, but I hate being so connected. Kinda weird.... but anyways...

if you go to pinger.com/textfree you can create an account online.

Why did I do this if I already have a phone AND the app on my iPod? Because I HATE texting from my phone. I have a phone.... not one of the fancier ones with a little keyboard... AND I have fat fingers. I can text from my iPod if I happen to have it nearby, but I'm more often (like always) at my computer. It's CONVENIENT to be able to send a text from the computer AND easier (for me) with a regular keyboard. :)

And to the OP... I don't disagree with the idea that non-texters are left out on this, but it's a marketing thing and they have specific target market metrics they're dealing with. I get ads from places I've dealt with online that have special deals for previous customers that aren't available to first-time buyers. Or deals only available online (as opposed to walking in to their brick-and-mortar store locally) .... so target-market promos are nothing new. They just suck if you're not part of the market being targeted. :)

LOL, people think I'm on a computer when using AIM on my phone because I type on it so fast.

touch-pro2-sprint-MoreViews-114.png

Not trying to be mean but true "techno-geeks" have and use smart phones. Why don't you trade your iPod in for a iPhone or a phone with a slide out keyboard?

Perhaps I should clarify a little.... I'm a RETIRED techno geek! :) I don't want the "umbilical chord" any more. I don't have a smart phone because I won't pay what they want now for a data plan that's not capped or throttled at 5GB. And I don't really need a smart phone 'cause I'm HOME hehehehe... I don't travel around for work because.... I GOT LAID OFF IN MARCH! That kinda accelerated my retirement plans. I actually bought one of the phones with a slide out keyboard using credits I had on my cell plan. I gave it to my son. I pay $20 every 3 months for my cell phone plan and I've never had extra charges on it. My son has the same carrier and I *think* he pays like $60 for unlimited everything. The problem is that my house sits in a "quiet zone" where we only get 1 or 2 bars unless we walk around the yard a bit. :)

Maybe I'm more like a techno-hermit ... :)

I'm home almost all of the time too. I already pay for internet service so why would I want to pay another $30 per month to use it over the phone. For people on the go smart phones are great but for people who are not they're a waste of money. Also retired.

Perhaps I should clarify a little.... I'm a RETIRED techno geek! :) I don't want the "umbilical chord" any more. I don't have a smart phone because I won't pay what they want now for a data plan that's not capped or throttled at 5GB. And I don't really need a smart phone 'cause I'm HOME hehehehe... I don't travel around for work because.... I GOT LAID OFF IN MARCH! That kinda accelerated my retirement plans. I actually bought one of the phones with a slide out keyboard using credits I had on my cell plan. I gave it to my son. I pay $20 every 3 months for my cell phone plan and I've never had extra charges on it. My son has the same carrier and I *think* he pays like $60 for unlimited everything. The problem is that my house sits in a "quiet zone" where we only get 1 or 2 bars unless we walk around the yard a bit. :)

Maybe I'm more like a techno-hermit ... :)

I pay $30/mo for unlimited everything (including data) except anytime minutes are only 500 on the phone I posted above. I use the phone more for data and txt and hardly even use even half of my anytime minutes.

http://I pay $30/mo for unlimited e...rave Access Point for free which solved that.https://www.sprint.com/webconversionform/Separating_EPP_Plan_SERO_Everything_Plus.pdf

I once lived where I hardly got any bars and Sprint sent me a Airave Access Point for free which solved that.

At home I have no landline, I use a MagicJack on AT&T dry DSL (no phone DSL) that is $19.95/mo for 3mbps/512kbps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any tips for install?

Whole Home with 2 DVRs and 2 Receivers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)