Is Gemini worth it? Email claiming free upgrade.

I clicked the link in the email for the free upgrade and on the computer it opens a new tab that closes right away. I copy the link and paste it in a new tab and it takes me to AT&T’s log in which I do and then I’m just at the account center. I tried clicking on the link in my iPhone and it also takes me to my AT&T DirecTV account center where it just shows the bill, equipment and package. I guess the link doesn’t work so that’s a sign to me “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. I’ll just hang on to my HR44 until it’s hard drive dies.

The premise of a voice remote and having Google play store apps all on one device was neat but maybe things will just get better as time goes on and more powerful hardware will be released.

I clicked the link in the email for the free upgrade and on the computer it opens a new tab that closes right away. I copy the link and paste it in a new tab and it takes me to AT&T’s log in which I do and then I’m just at the account center. I tried clicking on the link in my iPhone and it also takes me to my AT&T DirecTV account center where it just shows the bill, equipment and package. I guess the link doesn’t work so that’s a sign to me “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. I’ll just hang on to my HR44 until it’s hard drive dies.

The premise of a voice remote and having Google play store apps all on one device was neat but maybe things will just get better as time goes on and more powerful hardware will be released.
The Gemini doesn’t replace a Genie, HR44 in your case, it installs as a client of the Genie.

Right I would have used it in colocation mode with a short ethernet cable from the genie to it, putting the genie on wireless.
In that case...
I clicked the link in the email for the free upgrade and on the computer it opens a new tab that closes right away. I copy the link and paste it in a new tab and it takes me to AT&T’s log in which I do and then I’m just at the account center. I tried clicking on the link in my iPhone and it also takes me to my AT&T DirecTV account center where it just shows the bill, equipment and package. I guess the link doesn’t work so that’s a sign to me “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.
I don't think there is any way to order a Gemini via your online account. Pretty sure you have to call to get it.

In that case...

I don't think there is any way to order a Gemini via your online account. Pretty sure you have to call to get it.
Oh there is a a big yellow button in the email "Order Online" but there is also a phone number under the text that says "Don't have an online account? Create one now".

I'll likely leave it be until the HR44 dies.

Oh there is a a big yellow button in the email "Order Online" but there is also a phone number under the text that says "Don't have an online account? Create one now".

I'll likely leave it be until the HR44 dies.
The only reason to upgrade is for the 4k last i knew the HR44 could not do 4k!!! were on the genie 2 the gemini is faster for us but maybe that's because they brought us a brand new server that was manufactured this year vs an old POS that's been out in the field for ever. the PQ is better than our old C61K also. makes no sense unless you want 4K

The only reason to upgrade is for the 4k last i knew the HR44 could not do 4k!!! were on the genie 2 the gemini is faster for us but maybe that's because they brought us a brand new server that was manufactured this year vs an old POS that's been out in the field for ever. the PQ is better than our old C61K also. makes no sense unless you want 4K
the HR44 can do 4K. the Gemini is a faster box though, so you're right about that.

the HR44 can do 4K. the Gemini is a faster box though, so you're right about that.
I don't think they will develop a faster Genie or any other DVR for home use. They are planning for the end of life of their satellites. The HS17 is faster than your HR44, and it will make the Gemini appear faster also. The speed of the user interface corelates closely with the processing speed of the Genie it is attached to. Most of the user interface is generated on the Genie server.

Calling the number on that promotion will probably work. But they will try to sell you an upgrade to an HS17, and a two year contract.

HR44's are only as good as their aging hard drives.

Reactions: harshness
I don't think they will develop a faster Genie or any other DVR for home use. They are planning for the end of life of their satellites. The HS17 is faster than your HR44, and it will make the Gemini appear faster also. The speed of the user interface corelates closely with the processing speed of the Genie it is attached to. Most of the user interface is generated on the Genie server.

Calling the number on that promotion will probably work. But they will try to sell you an upgrade to an HS17, and a two year contract.

Too bad they couldn't do at least one more with Google TV and output to 4k over HDMI before the satellites run out of fuel.

When the hard drive in the HR44 dies, I will use that as an opportunity to make changes. Its only inevitable. I raid my data drive on my PC but obv cant do that on a DVR.

Theres just a lot of content and settings that we'll hang on to until its deathbed.

In incognito mode, the link works, but it asks for a mac address of a client to replace. It says if you don't have one here is a number to call. Its a special number, not the main number ending in -5000.

DirecTV Genie Redesigned Menus

Stream issues