Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

Hope all of you who were interested in the old Fallout games picked them up during the last GoG sale when they were free, because they're no longer available there due to rights issues. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130956-Fallout-Games-Yanked-From-GoG-Due-To-Rights-Issues

Licensing issues are also affecting Deadpool and some other Marvel properties with the New Year. Certain games and DLC are being pulled from Steam, XBL, and PSN.
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68128/deadpool-currently-delisted-from-steam

Hope all of you who were interested in the old Fallout games picked them up during the last GoG sale when they were free, because they're no longer available there due to rights issues. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130956-Fallout-Games-Yanked-From-GoG-Due-To-Rights-Issues
According to Bethesda, getting the Fallout games back on Steam is a "Top Priority." Note that getting them back on GoG seems to be a distant second, if a priority at all..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...thesda-Fallout-Games-Back-on-Steam-a-Priority

According to Bethesda, getting the Fallout games back on Steam is a "Top Priority." Note that getting them back on GoG seems to be a distant second, if a priority at all..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...thesda-Fallout-Games-Back-on-Steam-a-Priority

I just played a couple hours of Fallout 1 over on my parents crappy laptop thanks to GOG's free offer. As expected, it is a whole lot different than Fallout 3 but I was having a decent enough time with it. Older games like this are perfect for those times I need to take care of my dad over there.

Yeah those games were drastically different, similar to how Duke Nukem 3d was a massive change for that series. I'll hopefully boot them up eventually, but then again I have 7 free games (counting those) in my GoG library and haven't booted up any of them yet.

One sad part about all this is that Bethesda is really hurting themselves the longer they go without having this resolved. People who now want this game have to pirate it, and since GoG had a DRM free version of it, it's very easy to do so. Also the gaming community isn't thrilled that the DRM version is the one getting fixed first, although considering the differences in customer base, it's fully understandable and justified.

Well I finally got around to playing Gone Home and Brothers this weekend. I knew they would be showing up in a lot of GOTY lists so I wanted to play them before I read any spoiler discussions. These two little games are very different from each other but I highly recommend both. I don't really want to say much about either of them because I think people are just better off experiencing these games with as little knowledge going in as possible. I will say that Brothers has some wonky controls but by the time I finished the game it almost felt natural.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's my impressions of Ducktales: Remastered..

The only way this could be more of a labor of love would be if the developers actually vaginally birthed it as opposed to programming it. This game screams fan service and nostalgia, and that's a good thing. A good majority of the voices from the original TV show are used in this game, which is great if you were a fan of the show like I was. It does come across like you're watching an old episode, although to be fair Unca Scrooge doesn't sound quite as chipper as he used to. The music is also great, as they simply updated the original tracks (which were quite memorable) to be more upbeat and rich, so they still sound retro but also new. The levels have been recreated faithfully to the originals with vastly updated visuals, although they are not carbon copy recreations. They made some slight modifications, but anyone familiar with the originals will feel right at home.

Well YB, you've gone on and on about how great it looks and sounds, how does the damn thing play? Well, not as desired. The main problem is the difficulty settings. When I first tried the game, I did what I normally did and set the game to Normal difficulty. This is similar to the Normal setting of the NES version. For those of you who weren't big into NES games, the way they typically went in terms of difficulty was: Easy = Normal, Normal = Hard, Hard = Insane. As a result I got a spanking that left my butt quite sore. After sitting in a pool of Epson salt for a while I started over with the Easy difficulty (You can't change mid-game.) Then the game turned into "Baby's First Platforming Game." It gives you double the energy (or rather, each block takes 2 hits to drain instead of 1), you get a full map, and most glaring, you get unlimited lives. As a result I breezed through 3 levels in about an hour. Normally I'm against the whole lives system because it's really just a leftover relic from the coin-op days, and games like Super Meat Boy and the Rayman series benefit from this because the levels are designed differently to encourage that "Just one more try" Mentality. Ducktales doesn't really have that. It's a game where the 3 lives system actually still makes sense, and having unlimited lives and so much energy (which can be upgraded, so I can take about 10 hits now before I die) makes the game a cakewalk. For the easy difficulty, they should have just done what the NES version did, which was let you take more hits, or if they wanted this mode, call it something like "Casual." And to be fair, I'm sure that if I put my mind to it that I could play though the game just on Normal, but unlike the 9 year old me who played the original, I don't have hours and hours available to dedicate to playing this. Still, this isn't enough to make me want to stop playing the game. I am having quite a bit of fun, and the voicework helps keep the game interesting. Still, unless I hit some sort of wall I'm not expecting I see no reason why I couldn't finish this game off tonight.

Well I finally got around to playing Gone Home and Brothers this weekend. I knew they would be showing up in a lot of GOTY lists so I wanted to play them before I read any spoiler discussions. These two little games are very different from each other but I highly recommend both. I don't really want to say much about either of them because I think people are just better off experiencing these games with as little knowledge going in as possible. I will say that Brothers has some wonky controls but by the time I finished the game it almost felt natural.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Anyone looking for a more in depth review of Brothers (with no spoilers of course) can look at mine that I did earlier.

After reading what I wrote again in your quoted post I can see that I didn't word that last sentence correctly. At no point did the controls in Brothers feel natural to me. What I should have said is Brothers has some wonky controls but by the time I finished the game I almost had the hang of it. Of the two games I mentioned, Gone Home is the better game. I will say that parts of Brothers looked amazing though. I really liked the world they built.

After reading what I wrote again in your quoted post I can see that I didn't word that last sentence correctly. At no point did the controls in Brothers feel natural to me. What I should have said is Brothers has some wonky controls but by the time I finished the game I almost had the hang of it. Of the two games I mentioned, Gone Home is the better game. I will say that parts of Brothers looked amazing though. I really liked the world they built.
Also, as I mentioned in my discussions I STRONGLY suggest that you play Gone Home again with the commentary track. It gives a lot of interesting insight from the creators, designers, and even actors. Also you'll be amazed at what you realize you missed the first time around.

Really looking forward to Brothers when it's free for PS Plus members later this month. I had never even heard of this game until it was listed in the Jan PS Plus update, but it looks awesome.

Really looking forward to Brothers when it's free for PS Plus members later this month. I had never even heard of this game until it was listed in the Jan PS Plus update, but it looks awesome.
Well, you may want to get your expectations in check. The game isn't really "Awesome." GTA V and Saints Row 4 are awesome. Intriguing or interesting would be a more appropriate term. It's really more of an interactive narrative than a game, similar to Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, although Brothers does give you more overall control. Also it's quite short, clocking in around 3 hours.

Well I think I determined what's wrong with my PS3, it's the yellow light of death. It didn't actually show the yellow light but I took the unit apart and found where the motherboard was separating from the cooling blocks. This is the second time it's happened to me, the last time I mailed it away to get fixed for $130. This time I think I can fix it myself.

Has anyone tried fixing theirs before?

Well I think I determined what's wrong with my PS3, it's the yellow light of death. It didn't actually show the yellow light but I took the unit apart and found where the motherboard was separating from the cooling blocks. This is the second time it's happened to me, the last time I mailed it away to get fixed for $130. This time I think I can fix it myself.

Has anyone tried fixing theirs before?
Your motherboard is separating? Would you mind providing us a photo for visual reference?

Well, you may want to get your expectations in check. The game isn't really "Awesome." GTA V and Saints Row 4 are awesome. Intriguing or interesting would be a more appropriate term. It's really more of an interactive narrative than a game, similar to Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, although Brothers does give you more overall control. Also it's quite short, clocking in around 3 hours.

Totally right, of course. I guess what I meant to say is "I think it's totally awesome that a PSN game I haven't bought already that will be free for Plus members is actually something I'm interested in playing." lol

Your motherboard is separating? Would you mind providing us a photo for visual reference?

It's the GPU and CPU chips on the board that separate from the cooling blocks. Apparently Sony uses some cheap solder that doesn't hold up to the heat it produces. It's a very common issue if you search it online.

Well, I finished Ducktales Remastered. Seeing as it took me 4 play sessions of about an hour each to beat it, I'd have to say that my first impressions were pretty on target in that the game is simply too easy on the Easy difficulty. That being said, if you want a real challenge in the tradition of the old NES era, normal difficulty on this game will more than fit the bill. Having limited energy on a traditional lives system, where in various places it's very easy to fall to your death definitely reeks of 8-bit frustration. Still, I doubt I'll go back and play this game again anytime soon since a game with old school difficulty like that isn't exactly something I'm looking for at this juncture.

Still, even though the game is stuck in this void of either being overly easy or overly difficult, I would recommend it if you were A: A fan of the original game and/or B: A fan of the cartoon. If you don't fit either of these categories, this is a much harder sell. I'll also say that $14.99 is not a good price for this. 50% off or greater is probably the sweet spot. I give it a B-.

I'm probably going to take a gaming detour into some new games I just picked up from Amazon. Due to the fact that I purchased a number of games this holiday season, I qualified for a bunch of $5 credits towards certain games. Unfortunately, most of the games were either A: Games I already owned, B: Games I didn't want to own, or C: Games that even with a $5 discount wouldn't be worth it anyways. I decided on 2 games that came out to about $2.50 each and will try to review them before their sale expires at the end of the month.

I qualified for a bunch of $5 credits towards certain games. Unfortunately, most of the games were either A: Games I already owned, B: Games I didn't want to own, or C: Games that even with a $5 discount wouldn't be worth it anyways. I decided on 2 games that came out to about $2.50 each and will try to review them before their sale expires at the end of the month.

I got one of those $5 credits as well for buying a code for a PS Plus membership, but all the games in this promo are for PC. Which two games did you get?

I got one of those $5 credits as well for buying a code for a PS Plus membership, but all the games in this promo are for PC. Which two games did you get?
Foul Play and Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death. Sadly (but understandably) the credits can't be stacked. I got $25 worth of credits, but I know I won't be buying 5 games during this.

Update: Well, I played both games and here are some very early impressions. I suppose the best theme for these games is "Poor Man's," because neither of these games are original. They're basically copies of other games with a slight twist.

Let's start with Foul Play, or as I call it, "Castle Crashers dodging." Basically the game looks and plays like CC, with the twist being that rather than having an energy bar, you have "Crowd Support." The "plot" is that you are a character in a play, where for some reason violence is preferred over acting ability. You get credit for chaining combos and avoiding getting hit, but then again that could be said in some way for nearly every beat em up made in this decade. Also, the action is very repetitive. This isn't a game you binge on or beat in one sitting. You play it for like 30 minutes max, because the action is so repetitive that it can't really carry itself for very long. That's not to say it's bad, but unless a major gamechanger comes, it appears that you're basically doing the same things in Act 1 Scene 1 that you do in Act 5 Scene 5.

The other game is Marlow Briggs, or as I call it, "God of South America." The plot can be summarized as, hot archaeologist girl brings bad-ass BF to work site, girl gets in spat with boss, BF tries to defend girl, BF is killed with mystical weapon that brings him back to life and the two of them go about exacting revenge. Actually now that I think about it, the plot is akin to that of "Splatterhouse," a game that came out in 1988. Anyways the actual gameplay is basically a copy of God of War, down to the Quick Time Events that have you pressing buttons that appear on the screen where they are on the gamepad (X on Left, B on right, A on bottom , Y on Top.) If you played any GoW game and decided to use the "staff" weapon, you've essentially played this game, although this game isn't quite as polished. Again, it isn't bad, but the gameplay is so derivative that it's impossible to not take notice.

Neither of these deficiencies are enough to make me stop playing either game, but I have put my expectations in check.

Last edited:

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)