What Satellites must be visible for new HD install - Northern NJ

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobD07456

Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Ringwood NJ
Hello, my apologies in advance if this is out there somewhere and I missed it while searching.

I had a new DirecTV install scheduled yesterday and the tech stated that he didn't feel he could install the dish in a place where it would see three satellites. He said that I could request a second opinion?? Is this common? Do they send someone more specialized the 2nd time?

Using the iPhone app it looks like I have clear view of 88.0 through 105.0. Is that good enough? Are there three specific satellites that I must see in order to get service in 07456 Ringwood NJ?

Any help would be appreciated? Thanks!

HD viewing requires the 99, 101 and the 103 sats.
IF your locals are on the 119, then you'll want the SL5

What DMA are you in ? NY ? If so you'll not need the dish that does all 5 sats, just a SL3.

doubt his locals are on 119

New Jersey is split into 2 DMA's....NYC & Philly. Both are on 101 for SD

Maybe he wants the Spanish channels?

Thank you both for the quick responses!

Ringwood is in the far north/northeastern part of NJ which is a NYC local tv market. No Spanish stations needed.

If I have a clear view of the 99, 101 and the 103 I should be good then? Should I mention that or anything else when scheduling them to come back out?

Ringwood is in the far north/northeastern part of NJ which is a NYC local tv market. No Spanish stations needed.

If I have a clear view of the 99, 101 and the 103 I should be good then? Should I mention that or anything else when scheduling them to come back out?

That's what you need. You might mention that a pole mount is acceptable, if it is. That may give the installer more options for placement.

Hello, my apologies in advance if this is out there somewhere and I missed it while searching.

I had a new DirecTV install scheduled yesterday and the tech stated that he didn't feel he could install the dish in a place where it would see three satellites. He said that I could request a second opinion?? Is this common? Do they send someone more specialized the 2nd time?

Using the iPhone app it looks like I have clear view of 88.0 through 105.0. Is that good enough? Are there three specific satellites that I must see in order to get service in 07456 Ringwood NJ?

Any help would be appreciated? Thanks!

Which iPhone app?

If I have a clear view of the 99, 101 and the 103 I should be good then?

yes you should be fine then

Iceberg said:
yes you should be fine then

Not entirely, direct has recently started to enforce the "10 degree" rule more then they use to. If it's a tight fit the installer may be more weary of installing. I've installed some questionable but after doing several checks they should have no problems with wind blowing trees and what not. If it's that tight of a fight I would let the installer know a pole mount is more then acceptable (yes I know somebody said it already) but my real question is why didn't the installer bring up the pole mount to begin with!? I'm thinking laziness was on this installers mind.

You need 99-101-103 @ 37 degrees elevation. Nothing on 119 there. I know Ringwood is tough as far as trees go because it's all old-growth forest on the side of a mountain (I grew up in West Milford and Pequannock :)) Unfortunately because the trees are so tall they do sway quite a bit, so the installer might insist on the 10 degrees clearance. How big is your property? The dish doesn't need to be right near the house (I forget the max cable distance for SWM, but it's over 150 feet), so check with your app from different places to see if the gap opens up.

Bob, when the original guy was out there, was he looking at Roof mount ONLY ?
Seemed like he was only looking at roof mount. I'm guessing he may have been a newer installer and defaulted to no based on what he was comfortable with. He said he wasn't comfortable installing based on what satellites he saw and that I could have someone else sent out for a 2nd opinion.

Seemed like he was only looking at roof mount. I'm guessing he may have been a newer installer and defaulted to no based on what he was comfortable with. He said he wasn't comfortable installing based on what satellites he saw and that I could have someone else sent out for a 2nd opinion.

Next guy may find differently ...
I would suggest like Jersey said, look around with your App., the closer to the house the better, but not necessary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

no internet connection to my tv

771A Error

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)