VIP222k randomly rebooting itself

axeman71

Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Augusta
I have 2 ViP222k receivers. Late in '10 one of them started rebooting itself randomly throughout the day. It might happen once during the day or it might happen 4-5 times a day. Any time of the day. So I called support and got them to send me a new 222k in mid Dec. I replaced the seemingly faulty unit with the new one and it has not fixed the problem. I continue to have random reboots throughout the day. So the problem does not seem to be the receiver but something else. Any ideas?

By the way, through out all this my other 222k has not had any issues. I do watch it less than the one giving me problems but I'm not aware of it rebooting at all.

I would check your electrical outlet or surge protector. My guess its in the wiring of the house or could be a faulty cable to the dish. Either way have a tech come out to do a once over

Both receivers (as well as my TV, router and PS3) are plugged into the same surge protector. I'll unplug the rebooting 222k from the strip and plug it directly into the wall and see if that helps. If that doesn't work I will get back on the phone with support.

Well, the tech guy came out yesterday and was totally stumped. He looked at one of the diagnosis screens on the receiver and under item #4 there were 157 errors. He said the number should have been under 10 and there were definitely hardware failures but neither he nor his boss knew what was wrong.

He suggested that with my 2 receivers, TV, surround system, ps3, wii, computer, and router all on the same breaker I might be having problems with pulling too much power. So I got an extension cord and plugged everything except the 2 dish receivers into another plug in another room. This way they are all on another breaker. This left only the 2 receivers and a lamp pulling power from the breaker in the TV room. It didn't work, I've had 2 reboots since then. So I have to call him back and get him back out here.

So I got an extension cord and plugged everything except the 2 dish receivers into another plug in another room. This way they are all on another breaker.
Just a quick comment here. Every house I have ever owned had multiple outlets daisy chained not only in one room but into other rooms as well. So... You might double-check the actual breaker being serviced by that other plug in another room.

That receiver is a piece of junk too,the next one they ship you will be equally junky.Remember these units are made in china by the lowest bidder.Surely a 6 year old Chinese child puts these together all day long for .10 cents an hour.

Just be glad you don't have a 722

Well after 2 service tech visits and a second replacement of the malfunctioning unit my problem continues. Neither tech has any idea what might be going wrong and everything appears grounded correctly. I have even seen the other receiver, the one that I thought didn't have problems, reboot twice now. It seems obvious that, while these may not be great devices, my problem lies elsewhere in my setup. After all everything, was great for the first year and 3-4 months that I had Dish.

My DVR is a computer I built running SageTV software. I have 2 PVR150 capture cards that the receivers output their picture too. I am wondering if I am getting some kind of voltage from the computer back into the units that cause the reboots. I'm going to start playing around with that and see what I can find.

Caution for Superstation subs (online program changes)

722 dead. Overstressed??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts