Tv Broadcast signal`s

johan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
holland
Hello members, here on this side of the water (ocean) they broadcast in DVB-T/T2, among other things.
What about you (America / Canada) and can you receive it here with tropo

Reactions: N5XZS and FTA4PA
IIRC, European and North American TV standards are different, so unless one has a DVB-T receiver we cannot receive such broadcasts.

Likely not going to get anything at that distance but it would be interesting for someone who DXs to acquire a cheap receiver capable of DVBT/T2 and see if anything pops up over here during times of Tropo. I would try but our setup is pointing fixed at our nearest broadcast towers and does not lend itself to such an endeavor. :(

Last edited:
Likely not going to get anything at that distance but it would be interesting for someone who DXs to acquire a cheap receiver capable of DVBT/T2 and see if anything pops up over here during times of Tropo. I would try but our setup is pointing fixed at our nearest broadcast towers and does not lend itself to such an endeavor. :(
FTA4PA, you have a (link) to receivers you use. Have some Dx antennas here for the Vhf and Uhf

FTA4PA, you have a (link) to receivers you use. Have some Dx antennas here for the Vhf and Uhf

We tune OTA channels here with the built in television tuners. Our Edision Mio 4K+ FTA satellite receiver has a DVB T2 connection but our antenna is fixed - no rotor - and is locked in the direction of the local broadcast towers for our area so no real way to DX here. Sorry! :(

I know several others here DX regularly as I have seen their posts many times. Hopefully they will chime in about the possibility of trying DVBT/T2 here with their setups. ;)

What kind of receiver do I need to receive the ATSC signals.

Mvg

As far as trying for ATSC signals at your location the Mediasonic Homeworx tuners are a decent and low-cost receiver that are recommend by Antenna Man.

We tune OTA channels here with the built in television tuners. Our Edision Mio 4K+ FTA satellite receiver has a DVB T2 connection but our antenna is fixed - no rotor - and is locked in the direction of the local broadcast towers for our area so no real way to DX here. Sorry! :(

I know several others here DX regularly as I have seen their posts many times. Hopefully they will chime in about the possibility of trying DVBT/T2 here with their setups. ;)

As far as trying for ATSC signals at your location the Mediasonic Homeworx tuners are a decent and low-cost receiver that are recommend by Antenna Man.

Who and what is : Antenna Man ?!

You might look on eBay for a Zenith DT900 ATSC 1.0 tuner.

They convert ATSC 1.0 RF OTA signal to NTSC RF and composite audio/video for older North American analog TV's and monitors.

No component or HDMI outputs, but the tuners usually sell for less than $30 (US$) on eBay and of course there is international shipping to be considered.

Hello members, here on this side of the water (ocean) they broadcast in DVB-T/T2, among other things.
What about you (America / Canada) and can you receive it here with tropo
There is one slight possibility is by E-skip or F2 Ionosphere skips conditions instead of troposphere ducting conditions.

We use VHF-low for various Full power and low power stations using ATSC 1.0 "8VSB modulation" and 3.0 "COFDM or OFDM modulation"

Via, E-skip and F2 skip over Atlantic Ocean to Europe is possible but not tropo ducting.

You may have to use VHF-low band TV antenna " 54 to 88 MHz range "

It will take time and patience to TV DXing but reward will be great.

Be aware we use 60 Hz with higher video framerates in 30i, 30p, 60p, and future 120p for ATSC 3.0.

Video resolution are, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, for ATSC 1.0 and 480p, 730p 1080p and 2160p for ATSC 3.0.

Note: 2160p and 120 FPs are not quite put to use yet but will come soon in the future for our new ATSC 3.0 system. :) :hatsoff

I hope I don't get too technical for you, but we do have rich video flavors.

You might look on eBay for a Zenith DT900 ATSC 1.0 tuner.

They convert ATSC 1.0 RF OTA signal to NTSC RF and composite audio/video for older North American analog TV's and monitors.

No component or HDMI outputs, but the tuners usually sell for less than $30 (US$) on eBay and of course there is international shipping to be considered.
Do you possibly have a link for me regarding Ebay !

Mvg

There is one slight possibility is by E-skip or F2 Ionosphere skips conditions instead of troposphere ducting conditions.

We use VHF-low for various Full power and low power stations using ATSC 1.0 "8VSB modulation" and 3.0 "COFDM or OFDM modulation"

Via, E-skip and F2 skip over Atlantic Ocean to Europe is possible but not tropo ducting.

You may have to use VHF-low band TV antenna " 54 to 88 MHz range "

It will take time and patience to TV DXing but reward will be great.

Be aware we use 60 Hz with higher video framerates in 30i, 30p, 60p, and future 120p for ATSC 3.0.

Video resolution are, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, for ATSC 1.0 and 480p, 730p 1080p and 2160p for ATSC 3.0.

Note: 2160p and 120 FPs are not quite put to use yet but will come soon in the future for our new ATSC 3.0 system. :) :hatsoff

I hope I don't get too technical for you, but we do have rich video flavors.
You may have to use VHF-low band TV antenna " 54 to 88 MHz range±
Which channel is that, or channels.and what does it look like.

Reactions: N5XZS
You may have to use VHF-low band TV antenna " 54 to 88 MHz range±
Which channel is that, or channels.and what does it look like.
The U.S. TV channels are based on 6 MHz wide Ch. 2 to 6. "54 to 88 MHz" note there is slight separation on ch. 4 and ch. 5 "72 to 76 MHz used for low power microphone and radio becons and some paging services use in the narrow band allocated by the FCC"

VHF-Low TV stations are mostly low power stations up to maximum 3 KW ERP and few full power stations up to 64 KW ERP, there are debate about the TX power should be higher than 64 KW ERP maximum power limit by the FCC.

Mainly to overcome the noise floor and RF pollution other than mother nature skips! :p :hatsoff

Reactions: Route66Fan
Is there or does the US have a signal so I can align an antenna. Otherwise I'll be spinning at random and I'll never get any reception. If necessary in the radio field, if you know what I mean.

Well it's depends on your location, assuming you are in Europe and aim for USA is point your direct focus antenna towards west to southwest from Europe.

Omnidirectional antenna won't make much of signal gain unless you use high gain directional antenna to get every ounce of weak DX signals.

So like I said, it's takes time and patience to get unpredictable skips conditions! :hungry2 :hatsoff

ADTH Nextgen set-top box

Dave Arland Interview on ATSC 3.0