Today, 722 or 722k

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
Haven't seen much on these two receivers recently so I thought I would check. Is there any good reason to avoid the 722k receiver today (other than the cost of the add on OTA module)? I'd really like the dual OTA recording capability, but I have enjoyed the stability of the 622.

I will second that. Having the second OTA capability is unreal. You can record two OTA and two satellite channels all simultaneously, while you watch a recorded program. I've been with DISH since the second month of their existence, and the 722K is the best product I have used (got spooked by bad reviews of the 922).

The 722k is the best full featured receiver DISH has on the market today. As Scott says it is the work horse receiver that can record 4 shows at one time reliably. I have one on my second account for my parents and they love it. I will soon have one on my account come Monday or Tuesday next week. Got the email today and the tracking number. Can't wait to get it up and running again.

What are the primary differences between the 722 and 722K? When we moved the installer had problems getting our 722 connected and brought in a 722K to replace it with. I was adamant on him getting the 722 going since we had TONS of programs on the DVR and after some fidgeting he got our old 722 going.

Was it a mistake to not just let him give us the 722K? I could've lived without the programming, it was mostly kids shows that we can now get over Netflix anyway. When I asked him about the 722K vs 722 he just said the 722K was a newer model but they were virtually identical. Was this true?

Thanks -

Sam

722 has S-video out, 722k does NOT
722 has single OTA tuner built-in, 722k requires OTA module, but gives you TWO OTA tuners
722 has an RF 3-4 output on TV1, 722k does not, but comes with the OTA module (not even worth mentioning, but...)

The 722k can record 4 shows at a time with the ota module included: 2 sat/2ota. Which comes in handy during prime time .

We only have one Coax cable going from our home 'coax' network to the 722, which I used to have an antenna connected to it through this (antenna was stashed in a closet). Now that coax is being used to output TV2 to the 'coax' network so we can watch TV2 in other rooms. If I had a second Coax cable going to the box I'd keep the antenna connected, but we don't and my wife doesn't fancy an antenna sitting in the living room since we have to put it pretty high to get anything.

I've thought about putting an antenna on the house and just running it inside where the Dish coax comes in, but honestly we can't get much OTA -- even Antenna Web shows only one channel in the Green and one in Yellow -- the rest are Red (2) or Violate (7). If I could get PBS in HD via OTA I'd do it just for that reason, but our local PBS station went under about 6 months ago and the closest one is about 50-60 miles away and isn't even listed on AntennaWeb.

So if the OTA tuner is the biggest pro to 722K over 722 I guess we're good either way.

Sam

Doesn't the ViP722K use a different remote, one that will store timers and other info? And it is more likely than any other receiver to get the same interface used by the ViP922?

I have both and the main advantage of the 722K is the 2 tuner OTA module. Once you add that option the 722K is considerably more powerful than the 722. BUT, this assumes you can get quality OTA channels. I once desired to record 3 OTA channels at once and the 722K with OTA module could do that One was via satellite and the other 2 were direct OTA.

722 has S-video out, 722k does NOT
722 has single OTA tuner built-in, 722k requires OTA module, but gives you TWO OTA tuners
722 has an RF 3-4 output on TV1, 722k does not, but comes with the OTA module (not even worth mentioning, but...)
My 722 (not k) TV1 and 2 can be any RF out channel you want from 21 to 69 (Air) or 73 to 125 (Cable). I have TV1 on 39 and TV2 on 41 and patched into Home Distribution system.

My 722 (not k) TV1 and 2 can be any RF out channel you want from 21 to 69 (Air) or 73 to 125 (Cable). I have TV1 on 39 and TV2 on 41 and patched into Home Distribution system.

I did not say it DIDN'T - BOTH versions do, so hence why I didn't mention about the this... ;)

But if for some reason you MUST have an RF output to ONE TV, the OTA module on the 722k adds this feature - in addition to the agile modulator output you mentioned. Technically, if you want to run ONE TV, you really should NOT be running the (high powered) agile mod output into ONE set - hence the reason the RF output on 3/4 is offered.

Last edited:
No one's mentioned it -- maybe the 722 can do it ? -- but you can watch your OTA channels on TV2 using the 722k. I know with the 622, the OTA channels were only available on TV1.

Hall is right. You can only watch (or see them in the guide or schedule recordings from) the single OTA tuner from TV1. Sucks because I think this was deliberate crippling to cut down on stupid consumer complaints.

Is it easy to make sure you get a 722K and not the 722 when ordering? For me, the dual OTA tuner sounds like a win, just wanted to make sure the receiver didn't have issues in general due to the OTA tuner or other behavior. With my son in a phase of wanting to record all the different wrestling shows on, these often span 1.5hrs and cause issues with broadcast television recording schedules. Say Monday with Chuck, How I Met your Mother and WWE Monday Night Raw, all on at the same time.

Is it easy to make sure you get a 722K and not the 722 when ordering?
I don't think there really is. According to a lot of installers who post here, they'll have work-orders that read "622/722/722k" as the receiver to install, so if they put in a 622, they're okay.

Given that you're already a customer with a 622, you can pay to "upgrade" which you'd really, really hope wouldn't get you another 622 but you might get a 722. One idea is to INSIST on the OTA module, even if it means paying for it.

Hall is right. You can only watch (or see them in the guide or schedule recordings from) the single OTA tuner from TV1. Sucks because I think this was deliberate crippling to cut down on stupid consumer complaints.

Actually, to watch OTA on TV2, start recording it on TV1, then go watch the DVR version on TV2 with only a few seconds delay.

As to ensuring you get a "K" - tell the rep that it's your money, and it's a "K" or nothing. Then go out to the truck upon arrival and ask to see the receiver. If it's not a "K" stop the install. Give him the option to get a "K" BEFORE doing any other work, or cancel the install.

Or avoid it by dealing with a local retailer, perhaps Dish Store.

If one of my ViP722 units dies, I certainly won't accept a ViP622 in it's place.

When I upgraded by online chat last month I specified a 722k and mentioned that I needed the capability to record two ota channels at once, she agreed. When the installer came I went out to the truck and when he pulled off a 722, I told him I needed a K. He looked at his order and said "o yeah that is what this says" I was fortunate that he had one and a module on the truck. ron

My LLC has returned A LOT of 722 (non-k) rcvrs. In fact so many that we didn't have enough return crates for them and had to put them into other boxes to ship back.

I hate non-k 722 rcvrs. I cringe when I see non-k 722's on my van.

Sling mobile for IPAD

Just added 61.5 to my system and cant get any even transponders?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts