Starz HD - Audio Issues? Or is it MPEG-4?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
I've noticed something peculiar w/ my Starz HD recording on my 622. It seems that, whenever the picture goes to black, the audio hiccups/cuts out. I noticed this while watching Brothers Grimm and a couple of other titles that do 'dip to black' and/or fades.

Anyone else experience this? I reiterate--it's only been on Starz (maybe UHD) the last week or so, so that's why I'm wondering if its something to do w/ the H.264/MPEG-4 in use on that/those channels.

I don't know if its the way the 622 records the MPEG-4 stream, or plays it back, or the transmission itself, or if its a MPEG-4 glitch or what...

But my toslink auto-switch no likey the dips to black and subsequent audio dropouts. Quite annoying.

hey Shane,

I haven't noticed anything on Starz. I watched Boogey man yesterday and FLightplan the otherday and didn't hear a thing.

S~

Yeah, I've not seen it all through the past month I've had StarzHD, but on a couple of recorded movies the last week. Not sure what is awry or what the new variable is. My system setup hasn't changed...but there has been a software update of the 622, and who knows what's being tweaked on the transmission end.

Hmmm...anyone else?

The Pacifier and The Incredibles looked and sounded great on my 622.

The Incredibles in HD. Wow. Pixar movies should be demoing HD in retailers....

Sounds great on my system. I haven't noticed any audio or picture quality problems since DISH fixed the mpeg4 stutter last month.

Still ghosting

I haven't had any audio problems but I still see sporadic "ghosting/stop action" issues during fast-moving scenes:confused:.

I watched another flick taped off of Starz (well, the first 20 min. of 'The Fog'), figuring it'd be good follow-up material. One initial pop during the opening logos but otherwise o.k. (except the movie stank and I had to quit watching). I'm wondering if my auto-detecting Audio Authority toslink switcher was getting a very weak audio signal from the 622 during the A/V dips to black that through it out of sorts for a second...and what would cause that?

I'm bypassing my DVDO switcher, which had some HDMI audio issues--and didn't have this issue w/ my 942. So I'm assuming it's either an MPEG-4 encoding issue (as implemented on StarzHD) or a 622 toslink output issue in conjunction w/ some sort of stream/signal parameters.

BTW, I think the other title I encountered this in w/ was "The Cave". Wait, was that on HBO? Hmmm. Curious.

Maybe my audio switcher just doesn't like mediocre/bad movies ;).

Will the 622 load the guide for off-air locals?

Sacramento upgrade to HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)