Starting June 1, Cinema 10 changes its current format to 2 movies per day

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Good Cinema 10 is showing two movies per day per channel on cinema 10 starting June 1. Look at zap2it and you will see the change. Now it will blow me away if some of these movies are shown in OAR. Haven't looked at June 2,... but I assume it will be the same.

Cool! Is this maybe a sign of more flicks on the way? Any rumor of changing the the titles of the channels. I saw a commercial for the ciname ten's last night and it was labeling them as CinemaDrama, CinemaGunslinger and so on.

Two 1.5 star movies doesn't equal one 3 star movie. 20 crappy movies a day still stinks.

cyuhnke said:
20 crappy movies a day still stinks.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I don't find all the movies crappy.

I give 'em credit for moving ahead and trying to improve on it.

cyuhnke said:
Two 1.5 star movies doesn't equal one 3 star movie. 20 crappy movies a day still stinks.

I am sorry to ask and I don't want to sound rude either but this is what everyone on this board wanted--variation in the movies shown. What else can they do when all new movies license are already taken by HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, ENCORE, The Movie Channel, and Showtime. Take a look how HDnet movies also struggles to get movies because these licenses are not easy to get or buy.

Sean Mota said:
I am sorry to ask and I don't want to sound rude either but this is what everyone on this board wanted--variation in the movies shown. What else can they do when all new movies license are already taken by HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, ENCORE, The Movie Channel, and Showtime. Take a look how HDnet movies also struggles to get movies because these licenses are not easy to get or buy.

You don't sound rude. I sound whiny, but I don't care. I argue, like I've always argued, that Voom has many excellent movies at its disposal. Rainbow owns both AMC and Cinema 10. AMC isn't nearly as good as TCM, but they have a few great movies. The fact that Rainbow has "Shane" as an exclusive, yet hasn't transfered it, merits a Congressional hearing. What we all want is for Cinema 10s to move forward (more contnet with less repeats). But I feel this is more of a lateral move than a move forward.

I haven't had any of the premium channels for years because I have found that they had some great new releases, and the rest are just average. I am not paying anymore for my basic VOOM than I was for my basic expanded cable. Why should I then expect VOOM to show only 3 and 4 star movies? I certainly did not get that with cable. The mix is the same, some suck and some are good and others are average. Most things in life are average, that's why they call it "average", but it certainly does not make them garbage. Just because a toddler cannot run like a sprinter does not mean he will not be a good athelete.
VOOM will have to do some walking before it can sprint. It is unreasonable to expect it to compete with the big players right away on their level. Give it time.

Understand that most of these movies have a window which the license provide to show them in any given channel. Just because AMC has a big a library of movies does not mean that the same license will apply to transfer the movie to HD and show it on Cinema 10. I believe there is more feed to pay to get the license agreement to do the HD transfer and then show it. Some might not even willing to do the HD transfer at all. I believe that with time we will see more and more.

But the deal with licensing movies is not like a collection of DVDs that one play at any given time. As a matter of fact, a lot of us saw A Clockwork Orange being played last month. The first time this movie ran was in November and the license period ran out and it was purchase again to re-show last month. So everytime I see a movie on Cinema 10 (whether repeated or not) I make an effor to see because I might not see it again once the license agreement passes. Again we, customer, do not think this way. I have a whole collection of DVDs that I can watch at any time but the same does not apply to any channel showing movies.

My argument is that Rainbow has exclusive rights to these movies. How do you think they got the monster channel? They bought movie rights from Universal.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?this_cat=Television&obj_id=30491&aff_id=0

That's how Ted Turner created his media empire. He bought MGM's entire library in the early eighties. I figure Dolan must have done something similar. I know some movies are licensed, like Willy Wonka. That movie's on all the time on many stations. But I am almost certain Rainbow owns Shane. For the past 5 years TCM has done:

100 Greatest Westerns*
*except Shane

I understand the difficulty in getting licenses. I don't understand the difficulty in Rainbow licensing a movie from itself. Sean, I've tried to find a complete listing of Rainbow's media and film holdings, and have been unsuccessful. If you know the real information, please share. I guess Rainbow could have bought the exclusive SD rights, but I doubt it. HD probably wasn't on the radar when the deal would have been done.

Yes, I have to give you that one about Universal. I'll enquire about those titles and what's holding the HD transfer of those movies.

Good news. More is better in the way of movies. HBO is the only premium channel I have because of Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Carnivale, Sopranos, etc. I flipped through all the other premium movie channels last night and I didn't want to see a single one of them. I'll take my chances with Cinema 10 or 20. So far I have recently enjoyed:

The Life & Times of Roy Bean
Innocent Blood
The Great Race
Crusoe
7 Days in May
Music Man (for the umpteenth time)

Also TMC & IFC feature some great movies from time to time even though they are in SD but they are usually letterbox.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, I have to give you that one about Universal. I'll enquire about those titles and what's holding the HD transfer of those movies.

I apologize for being "bitch and moan guy." Cinema 10 is 100 times better now than it was 12 weeks ago when I signed up. I know Voom's still growing and all, but I've always been disappointed by Voom's exclusive channels. Cinema 10 is actually my favorite of the Voom exclusives. It's like the Encore channels, but HD. I just feel Rainbow's holding back for ill-conceived reason.

Edit: This is my 420th post. I need to call my old college buddies and celebrate. That'll mellow me out.

cyuhnke said:
I apologize for being "bitch and moan guy." Cinema 10 is 100 times better now than it was 12 weeks ago when I signed up. I know Voom's still growing and all, but I've always been disappointed by Voom's exclusive channels. Cinema 10 is actually my favorite of the Voom exclusives. It's like the Encore channels, but HD. I just feel Rainbow's holding back for ill-conceived reason.

Edit: This is my 420th post. I need to call my old college buddies and celebrate. That'll mellow me out.

Cyuhnke,

nothing to apologize, it is good discussion. I like your idea of finding out the library of movies that they currently own (AMC, IFC). I know IFC has complete rights to some of the independent films that it produced so those will good to find out as well.

madpoet said:
We can only hope that they listened to the OAR arguments.
About a week ago there were two OAR movies on Cinema10 at the same time. (2 out of 10!) I think this was their record!

Sean Mota said:
Good Cinema 10 is showing two movies per day per channel on cinema 10 starting June 1...

Sean: is this change related to a suggestion that you presented during your visit? I almost swear that you did such suggestion

Walter L. said:
Sean: is this change related to a suggestion that you presented during your visit? I almost swear that you did such suggestion

It is the feed back the you guys have presented here at the forum. My suggestion was 3 movies per day. We have all talked about it here in various ways. I am glad they have decided to do 2 per day. I want to see if at least the new movies are presented in OAR. I do not expect the OAR to be done right away but I would like to see more in the future.

Forgot to say that the change happen in Cinema 1 - 9. These will show two movies per day. Cinema 10 looks like will be kept at 1 movie per day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)