Self Rebooting Hopper

Almost success. The H3 has only restarted twice so far. I still have about 50 shows to go. I did add thermal paste to the heat sync and that seems to slow the frequency of reboots but didn’t cure that problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 24
If you can find something small and heavy (dense) to sit on top of heatsink to help it make better contact that will help. Then put a fan right next to it. That should keep things under control and not have any reboots at all hopefully. Then can get recordings transferred.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Unfortunately, the damage to the CPU could have already occurred and now you have a Hopper that was opened-up, alleviating Dish of any responsibly. My guess is the Hopper 3 needs to be replaced. You could try calling Dish to get a “new” unit but there will most likely be a cost.

Also, there should be a spring-loaded heatsink clip loose somewhere inside the case. That appears to have popped loose which allowed the heatsink to slip off of the CPU, rotating around the one clip that stayed put. If you find that, that would keep the heatsink in place.
IMG_1869.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Channel 540-01 missing

Questions about Hopper Plus