satellite pic quality problem

trapper keeper

Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
i use to have directv and loved it , pic quality and receiver (hughes) functions were great .

but then they backed out of a verbal agreement for a guaranteed 1 year rate and raised it after 6 months so i cancelled because they lied to me .

so now i have dish network and after them being here 3 times to attempt improving my pic quality it still is weak compared to directv .

ive got a 322 dpplus receiver , theyve changed the cables to coaxil or something like that , they also changed a setting in the receiver , they also adjusted dish for signal strength and got it to around 90 i think . but still my pic quality is lame . ecspecially locals , but even most the channels are weaker than directv . for example i get nhl center ice and my pic quality for hockey games is bad . my tv is just basic flat screen toshiba 4 years old but right before change over it was going great so dont think its tv issue .

so wondering if any ideas . theyre coming out next week to try to improve pic .

im in south east michigan if that has anything to do with pic quality .

You will have to adjust your picture controls to fit your sat service. This means turning your sharpness down to about nothing. All sharpness does is cause your picture to have jagged lines in your picture. Your contrast and brightness in the middle or 50%. Contrast can be turned down further to fit your needs. Also sitting further away from your tv will make a difference. My 57 "hd tv which is a Toshiba, sits about 12 feet away from the seating in my living room. My picture is excellent on just about all channels. I have HD locals from Houston which look great on my hdtv with my 622 hd dvr. Be warned though that with sd locals you will have a lesser grade picture. They are highly compressed but with an analog tv like you have the tv should make the picture look better. Your tv connections too will make a difference. If you are using an sd receiver and tv then you should use the S-Video cable for the best connection. Also if you do not like the picture or audio on ANY of your Dish channels like locals , you can email them with your complaints and they will address them.

dishquality@echostar.com

THANX MIKE

after you brought this up i realized that i played around with my picture controls for weeks before i got it dialed in when i started with directv

im making adjustments now and its already improving :)

oh ya kick ass , this pictures starting to DAWG directv :D

You will have to adjust your picture controls to fit your sat service. This means turning your sharpness down to about nothing. All sharpness does is cause your picture to have jagged lines in your picture. Your contrast and brightness in the middle or 50%. Contrast can be turned down further to fit your needs. Also sitting further away from your tv will make a difference. My 57 "hd tv which is a Toshiba, sits about 12 feet away from the seating in my living room. My picture is excellent on just about all channels. I have HD locals from Houston which look great on my hdtv with my 622 hd dvr. Be warned though that with sd locals you will have a lesser grade picture. They are highly compressed but with an analog tv like you have the tv should make the picture look better. Your tv connections too will make a difference. If you are using an sd receiver and tv then you should use the S-Video cable for the best connection. Also if you do not like the picture or audio on ANY of your Dish channels like locals , you can email them with your complaints and they will address them.

dishquality@echostar.com

When you adjust the sharpness down won't you have to adjust it back up when watching something in HD? That's a pain.

You should be able to find a happy medium that works for all resolutions. The turning down sharpness is not always true, it depends on the TV. My Sony for instance, with sharpness at 50% is the "no enhancement" point. If I drop it to 0%it is like watching through Coke bottles.

When you adjust the sharpness down won't you have to adjust it back up when watching something in HD? That's a pain.

I keep my sharpness the same at about 25 % on my Hd tv. ON an sd tv you can do the same or even go lower and it will actually hide the jagged lines you see when the sharpness is turned way up. With hd it looks good to me whether I watch in full sharpness or low sharpness. I don't think most of us can really tell a difference in hd picture. Most tv is still in sd though and it looks better on my hdtv when the sharpness is turned down. SD picture shows a lot of artifacts due to compression artifacts introduced due to the digital to analog conversion. Turning down both sharpness and contrast helps with satellite tv over an analog tv.

does anyone know the difference between an s video cable like mike says is best and i guess a coaxial cable ?

on tv right now the yellow wire is thicker than the red and white

then i have an old directv wire which has all three cables in same diameter , so am wondering if i should swap these cables

Rca jacks are Yellow for video , red and white are for audio. S-video can be found at Radio Shack easily. IN order of lowest grade to best connection is :

1. Coax cable the most used but the least in video quality
2. Rca jacks or composite ( yellow red & white) *Good video connection.
3. S-Video cables for video/ still need red /white for audio. *Better video .
4. component (red/blue/green all for video) Still need rca red /white for audio. Used for 480 p for dvd players and for high def. *BEst video connection , but still analog.
5. Dvi/hdmi used for high def connections. Dvi still need red/white for audio. Hdmi does both audio and video all in one connection. *The very best video connection for high def because there is no digital to analog conversion. It is all digital all the way and no artifacts in the picture because of it.

Your 4 year old Toshiba should have an S-video connection , rca jacks and maybe even a component jacks. But the 322 sat receiver will only have the S-video, Rca jacks or coax outlets . OF course the second tv will see only the coax cable in the other room. Go to Radio Shack and ask for an S-video cable and make sure you have the Red /white rca jacks for audio so you can hear the sat receiver on your tv. Then of course you will need to make sure you are on the right Video a/v input on your tv so you can see the new S-video connection.

Last edited:
optical out

Rca jacks are Yellow for video , red and white are for audio. S-video can be found at Radio Shack easily. IN order of lowest grade to best connection is :

1. Coax cable the most used but the least in video quality
2. Rca jacks or composite ( yellow red & white) *Good video connection.
3. S-Video cables for video/ still need red /white for audio. *Better video .
4. component (red/blue/green all for video) Still need rca red /white for audio. Used for 480 p for dvd players and for high def. *BEst video connection , but still analog.
5. Dvi/hdmi used for high def connections. Dvi still need red/white for audio. Hdmi does both audio and video all in one connection. *The very best video connection for high def because there is no analog to digital conversion. It is all digital all the way and no artifacts in the picture because of it.

Your 4 year old Toshiba should have an S-video connection , rca jacks and maybe even a component jacks. But the 322 sat receiver will only have the S-video, Rca jacks or coax outlets . OF course the second tv will see only the coax cable in the other room. Go to Radio Shack and ask for an S-video cable and make sure you have the Red /white rca jacks for audio so you can hear the sat receiver on your tv. Then of course you will need to make sure you are on the right Video a/v input on your tv so you can see the new S-video connection.

Didn't mention optical out for surround systems. It is much better audio than the rca jacks will supply. Also for surround w/DVI HDMI will need the optical. The audio on the HDMI is only stereo.

Didn't mention optical out for surround systems. It is much better audio than the rca jacks will supply. Also for surround w/DVI HDMI will need the optical. The audio on the HDMI is only stereo.

THanks, I didn't want to confuse him since he didn't mention that he had an a/v receiver.

Dvr 510

EchoStar Battle Rages On

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)