Satellite or Receiver?

SPower

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2019
Fallon, NV
Hi,
I have the Dish Tailgator Satellite and Wally receiver. First time turning on the TV on any given day all seems fine. I am watching a channel then go to change the channel to lets say 202, it changes but it's just blank, nothing. If I keep changing the channels back and forth eventually 202 will work. This happens on a few channels, and it is very annoying. Sometimes it takes several minutes of changing the channels till it will finally work.
What I don't know is......is it the satellite or receiver doing this?? The satellite has a great unobstructed view so it's not that. It also shows a locked in signal even with nothing on the screen!
TIA!

It sounds like the channel you are coming from is on a different satellite than channel 202. There is a delay in audio and video when tuning from satellite to satellite on a mobile setup, as the Tailgater is a 1 LNB system. It can only view 1 satellite at a time, so it will move to view the satellite (if acquired) that the new channel is on.

When you are on Live TV, hit Info then Recall. It will show you what satellite you are currently viewing.

It sounds like the channel you are coming from is on a different satellite than channel 202. There is a delay in audio and video when tuning from satellite to satellite on a mobile setup, as the Tailgater is a 1 LNB system. It can only view 1 satellite at a time, so it will move to view the satellite (if acquired) that the new channel is on.

When you are on Live TV, hit Info then Recall. It will show you what satellite you are currently viewing.

Never had this happen before...so wondering if sat or box is going bad 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: charlesrshell

I have actually looked at what sat current viewing channel us on then looked at channel 202, both same sat, same transponder, strength.

Never had this happen before...so wondering if sat or box is going bad 🤷‍♀️
Doesn't sound like the box, but I've been wrong before. Mobile installations are so finicky and there are so many variables that can go wrong when using one. You can also try changing out the coax. For best results, a direct run under 50ft is recommended.

If you have a home install, you can connect the Wally there for further testing. If it works, it's the mobile installation. If it doesn't, it's the box.

I never knew that little shortcut either, thanks.
But, I still don't really have an answer to my original question. Is there any way to figure out which device is causing the issue?

But, I still don't really have an answer to my original question. Is there any way to figure out which device is causing the issue?
If you have a home install, you can connect the Wally there for further testing. If it works, it's the mobile installation. If it doesn't, it's the box.

If you don't have a home setup, you can try an outdoor Retailer: Find RV Satellite Dealer Near Me | Local Dealer Search | DISH Outdoors

Not all dealers offer installation and technical services. Call ahead before you go.

I don't have a home install, and there isn't any center nearby to take it too.

But some more observance.....
If I am in the lower # channels and watching something and change to another similar lower channel, it changes fine. Now if I am in the lower channels and change to a higher # channel then the channel won't come in (and there is no message) until I keep changing from one higher # to another several times then it will work. The same will happen if I watch the higher # and try to go back to the lower #'s.

So to me it seems the signal is lagging but where? From the receiver? Through the cable? Where?.

SPower - It might help if you have examples of what is considered a lower # channel and what is considered a higher channel # as channels are mapped to certain frequencies I believe.

So if I'm watching channel 120 then switch up to 202 and visa versa, it's a problem until I switch from 202 to 205 or 218 and back a few times. Same issue if I go back to 120 after watching 202.

So if I'm watching channel 120 then switch up to 202 and visa versa, it's a problem until I switch from 202 to 205 or 218 and back a few times. Same issue if I go back to 120 after watching 202.
I'm thinkin' maybe when you change to those channels, the dish has to move to find the other satellite and you are not waiting for it to physically reaim to the other satellite.

I'm thinkin' maybe when you change to those channels, the dish has to move to find the other satellite and you are not waiting for it to physically reaim to the other satellite.
Ugh!! Ok no that is not the problem. This has never happened before in all the years I've been using it.
There is a problem and I am trying to figure out what it is. But thanks anyway.

Ugh!! Ok no that is not the problem. This has never happened before in all the years I've been using it.
There is a problem and I am trying to figure out what it is. But thanks anyway.
Maybe the capacitors are failing in the receiver and need to be replaced. Use Nichicon, Panasonic, United Chemicon, Rubycon which are all reliable long life Japanese brands if you need to.

UPDATE: Think I fixed it....started troubleshooting....cable first. Ran Cable direct to receiver instead of through the RV hookup. It worked! I can change channels as I did before with no issues. Unfortunately the problem is internal to the RV. I cannot get to any of the cable so now have to run cable through a window to the receiver. At least it seems to be fixed!! Thanks all.....

UPDATE: Think I fixed it....started troubleshooting....cable first. Ran Cable direct to receiver instead of through the RV hookup. It worked! I can change channels as I did before with no issues. Unfortunately the problem is internal to the RV. I cannot get to any of the cable so now have to run cable through a window to the receiver. At least it seems to be fixed!! Thanks all.....
I almost asked about how it was connected since it wasn't mentioned in original post. But just assumed you were direct connection lol. Everyone in the rv business will always say the cable jacks are satellite ready but they are definitely not. They go through a splitter which screws the signal up. If you find the cable jack that also has the power socket (us older ppl still call it the cigarette lighter lol), then you can open that up. If you are able to determine which cable goes to the outside and the one to the receiver location then you can join those together preferably with a barrel that has a blue center.

Telephone Line Required???

Having to reboot all the time due to black screen recordings