Satellite Installation Help from start to finish

royhobbs

Original poster
May 15, 2012
Kentucky
I am going to be attempting to install a dish network dish (which I know nothing about) and I could greatly use some help. I will have a VIP 612 running to one tv. It is already activated and set up. First off which dish would I need ( I live in East Ky) I already have a 500 set up so all the wires should be ran. Any tips will be GREATLY appreciated. I watched an installer put one up today next door. They have a similar set up, only with 2 tvs. The installer took off the 500 dish and put up the turbo hd one, but he put some sort of switch between the existing line and the new lnb. Not sure if thats due to 2 tvs or if I will need one too.

If it was about 1"X0.5"X3" it was probably a diplexer, to run sat and OTA signal on the same wire.

Here is a pic of what it is, the top 2 lines are coming from the lnb, the bottom 2 are going into the house. IMAG0319.jpg

Ok last questions for now until I get the sat and actually try to aim it lol. Is that the grounding block I would need since I only have 1 line going in the house or do they make them with 2 inputs/ 1 output? and how do I wire the lnb? The person above said I just need one wire, my neighbors as you see in the pic above have 2 wires, but I thought I would have to have 3 for the 3 satellites 61, 72, and 77?

what you are seeing is actually two cables all the way through. those things in the middle just pass the signal from the top straight through to the bottom. not sideways or angleways.

you could get away with a grounding block that only had one position on it. the one in the picture has two. (looks like they forget to run the ground wire to it, oops!)

if you get the suggeted dish it only takes 1 cable per receiver. the receiver takes care of the rest internally. (it's really more complicated than that , but you don't need to know it)

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your help. Got it set up and it works perfect. One thing I did notice which confuses me is according to the instructions and my zip, it said to set the elevation to 45 degrees which I did. I moved it left to right for 20 mins with no luck. I took a magnetic angle finder and stuck it on the back of the dish and adjusted it to 45 degrees with that (which according to the the markings on the side of the dish arm was 35 degrees and had the signal in 10 seconds.

That would be a ground block. Thing that concerns me is that I see no ground wire attached anywhere.

Hopper recognizes EHD, but not previous content.

Need Remote Expert Help! URC7960

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts