Should I start worrying about peculiar recording problem?

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
Good morning to y'all.

I am having an issue with watching a recording that is still taking place.
In the past this was not a problem. For instance, I would start a recording. It would start and continue till the end. If I skipped commercials tv eventually would show 'live tv' on the screen and skipping commercials wouldn't be possible.

I set up Hopper3 to record soccer tournament on Fox. One game was still recording. Few days ago. About 55 minutes into the game, I selected to watch from the beginning. (I always add 60 extra minutes to soccer games.) The screen turned black and stayed black as if I turned the TV off! This was not a problem in the past. A tv connected to Joey 2. Pressing different buttons on remote (to go to live tv and start all over) did nothing. Unresponsive.
I unplugged Joey 2. Waited and plugged it back. That didn't help. I assumed the issue was with Hopper3 instead. I turned the TV connected to Hopper3. Must remind you the game was still being recorded. Exactly same result. Blank screen!
I could hear my wife watching a different recording upstairs on TV connected to kitchen Joey2! Entering channel numbers on remote would not take me to live tv. Very strange. Unplugging and replugging Hopper3 did not help.

I waited until the recording was done. I selected the same recording with Joey 2 (on my daily tv, the first one) and it was fine.
This happened at least twice.
What does this mean? Software glitch? Hopper3 dying? I also noticed changing channels on live tv or selecting a recording is taking extra few seconds. Hopper3 seems a bit slower.

Anybody had a similar experience? I believe it is too early to ask for equipment replacement.

Thanks.

Good morning to y'all.

I am having an issue with watching a recording that is still taking place.
In the past this was not a problem. For instance, I would start a recording. It would start and continue till the end. If I skipped commercials tv eventually would show 'live tv' on the screen and skipping commercials wouldn't be possible.

I set up Hopper3 to record soccer tournament on Fox. One game was still recording. Few days ago. About 55 minutes into the game, I selected to watch from the beginning. (I always add 60 extra minutes to soccer games.) The screen turned black and stayed black as if I turned the TV off! This was not a problem in the past. A tv connected to Joey 2. Pressing different buttons on remote (to go to live tv and start all over) did nothing. Unresponsive.
I unplugged Joey 2. Waited and plugged it back. That didn't help. I assumed the issue was with Hopper3 instead. I turned the TV connected to Hopper3. Must remind you the game was still being recorded. Exactly same result. Blank screen!
I could hear my wife watching a different recording upstairs on TV connected to kitchen Joey2! Entering channel numbers on remote would not take me to live tv. Very strange. Unplugging and replugging Hopper3 did not help.

I waited until the recording was done. I selected the same recording with Joey 2 (on my daily tv, the first one) and it was fine.
This happened at least twice.
What does this mean? Software glitch? Hopper3 dying? I also noticed changing channels on live tv or selecting a recording is taking extra few seconds. Hopper3 seems a bit slower.

Anybody had a similar experience? I believe it is too early to ask for equipment replacement.

Thanks.
Since latest software update I've had similar issues but if you go back to dvr and start the recirding a second time, for me, it always starts playing the second time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
f you go back to dvr
That was the first thing I tried. The remote was unresponsive. Pressing DVR or back (live tv?) button does nothing. I ended up looking at black screen for a long time. The only thing that works is turning Joey2 off with remote.
Here's the strange thing: While Hopper3 is still recording 6:30 pm national news (20-25 minutes into 32 minute recording) I can select that recording from DVR, start from the beginning and be able to skip commercials.
Yet, an almost 3 hour soccer recording does not let me start from watching while it is still recording. When it is done I can. I should add DVR is about 40 % full.

It sounds like a software update, not a Hopper3 (that I lease) issue.

like I said software bug and old one that was original fixed, on my end almost always only effect joey 4k but some time was issue on h3 side, had both h3 and joey4k replace in this cause h3 replace one and joey 4k replaced twice ( trying to fix diffrent problem which also software issue that fixed years down 2+ years down road after noticing it ). still happened I was told by tech if still happen gotta just wait and see if get fixed, 6+ months later it was fixed.

You can try have h3 replaced, and see what happen there is always chance it hardware related. Everway Dish is not gonna really admit to any actual problems with there updates official.

Hear ya. I watched today's games live while DVR was recording both. I should have gone to DVR and see what would happen when Hopper was still recording.
Both recordings played fine after they were complete. Tested few minutes before I deleted them.

Tomorrow, I am determined to check DVR when the games are being recorded.
Curious if this issue happens all the time or occasionally!

Dish bundles in Netflix

Streaming channels audio