reciever swap.... without calling D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

byron!

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
chelsea, nyc
one of my older DTiVo units kicked the bucket and D* is sending me a replacement SDDVR40 (reciever only, no new access card)... is there ANY way i can transfer my existing access card to the new reciever without calling directv? i've heard a few people say that they called D* for various reasons and the CSR revoked their distant nets.. distant HD nets are my only source for HD so i don't want to chance loosing them.

I thought all D* unit have a "change card" process built into the menu system so the user can do everything. It just mirrors everything over.

im not changing cards.. im changing recievers. will it stil work? anyone know where this feature is on the hughes sddvr40

My bad I mis-read. I THINK you will need to call them if you want to try and swap your current card into a new receiver, but They MAY require you to disable that card, leave it with the receiver, and get a NEW card for that new receiver.

Let us know, will be great info for later.

You MUST call in to have this done - there is NO other way.
If all you are doing is swapping a card from one receiver to another, it should be no big deal at all & should not cause you any problems. Just make sure you have the card in the new receiver & hooked up when you call & you should be good to go.

ok.. thanks for the info guys. i will report back when i get the replacement.. hopefully before the holidays because i will out of town.

Whats the procedure if I want to give Mom my DirecTv DVR to replace a regular receiver that she has? She is already a subscriber, as am I, but the DVR and card is on my account. Can/will they switch the card to her account or try and make her buy a new card? I'm sure they can transfer the DVR, not sure about the access card.

If either of your receivers in question have a Receiver ID (RID# - 12 digit number), then you must call D* to get the box on there or else you'll get "For ordering information, call customer service extension 726".

If neither has a RID, you can just swap the boxes and they should work just fine. You may have to have D* send a signal but they send the signal to the card, not the box so it'll work.

h0m3rs1mps0n said:
If neither has a RID, you can just swap the boxes and they should work just fine. You may have to have D* send a signal but they send the signal to the card, not the box so it'll work.

OK, I'll take this - if this WAS true, then WHY has D* needed to know the receiver serial# since they commenced service on day 1?
In esence, you're saying that D* does NOT marry the receiver serial# to a smartcard then, right - OoooooK... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I replaced a bad reciever with one from directv a few weeks ago and when i called in the csr asked if i was using the old card . the refurb replacement didnt have one so my guess this is a standard practice if they send you a refurb product. i do have the protection plan
also from what i understand , directv will now allow you to use on of your own cards to use in another box but not a card that was ever used on another account, so you could use the box from another source but the card must have been yours from original activation. i think i understood the csr correctly although i sometimes find myself with a headache when i get off the phone with them , this time i think the csr knew what i meant when i asked the question :confused:

You do not need the serial# to marry an access card to the receiver. All you need is the Make, Model, and RID if it has one. They only ask for the serial# to keep track of the receiver its just another way of identifying which receiver you are talking about when you call in.

sincityrage said:
You do not need the serial# to marry an access card to the receiver. All you need is the Make, Model, and RID if it has one. They only ask for the serial# to keep track of the receiver its just another way of identifying which receiver you are talking about when you call in.

This STILL doesn't make sense.
First of all, what about all those receivers that DON'T have RID#'s?
If all the serial# is for is "to identify which receiver you are talking about", then why do they also ask you what room it's in?

Again, so what you are saying is, if I was to call into D* & say, "hey, move access card # xxxxxxxxxxxx to a new receiver, but I don't know the serial#", they be able to move it with NO problem? I don't think so...
:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dishrich said:
OK, I'll take this - if this WAS true, then WHY has D* needed to know the receiver serial# since they commenced service on day 1?
In esence, you're saying that D* does NOT marry the receiver serial# to a smartcard then, right - OoooooK... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The things I know about the DTV system would make your head spin. I fix errors in it all day long for a living. I would hope to God that I know what I am talking about here.

Yes. The card is not married to a receiver WITHOUT a receiver ID. Now they do pair them up but thats just so you know what card is supposed to be in what receiver.

If you have 3 Hughes GAEBOA receivers and 3 access cards, you could swap these cards around in the receivers all you like and they would work just fine since these receivers do not have a RID on them. Again, if a x721 message pops up when doing this, just read to them the card # and have them send a signal do it. BAM services come back up.

This cannot happen with receivers with RID numbers however, as those ARE married. Now it can be changed (and should not burn out the card) but you'd have to let DTV know.

Its one of the major reasons they switched to the RIDs in the first place. Its a security feature. Its so you can't use the same receiver serial number on multiple accounts and so they have an accurate record of what is and what is not working.

ok. the reciever came in today and it had an access card in the box.. so i thought awesome.. i can just activate online. nope, they took away that feature. so i called with my fingers crossed... she deactivated the old, activated the new.. i confirmed a picture on channel 100, 202, 380-389, one of my locals... and then i said "yup, looks good... thanks, have a merry christmas" and hung up before she could even reply.. hehe.

charper1 said:
I THINK you will need to call them .... they MAY require you to disable that card, leave it with the receiver, and get a NEW card for that new receiver.

hmmm? Familiar. Glad you are running now!

dishrich said:
This STILL doesn't make sense.
First of all, what about all those receivers that DON'T have RID#'s?
If all the serial# is for is "to identify which receiver you are talking about", then why do they also ask you what room it's in?

Again, so what you are saying is, if I was to call into D* & say, "hey, move access card # xxxxxxxxxxxx to a new receiver, but I don't know the serial#", they be able to move it with NO problem? I don't think so...
:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes you would be able to move it to a new reciever without having the serial number but most CSR's wont because it is policy to ask for the serial number. The serial number does not affect anything it is only information on your account. Just like what h0m3rs1mps0n said if you have 3 recievers of the same model that dont have an RID you can switch the cards around even though they have different serial numbers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Baffled about D* install...

standard installation question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)