Probably a Dumb HD question

AlwaysnTrouble

Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I have TWC with a standard basic cable package hooked up to several Plasma and LCD wall mounted TV's. I did not want the cable boxes laying on the floor or on a stand in front of every TV and I have a question. All of my TV's have built in tuners, NTSC - ATSC - and Clear QAM. Don't these tuners convert analog signals to digital and transmit HD signals without having to get a HD set up box from TWC? I'm sure I have to get the boxes for the HD signal but I just had to ask. Thanks for helping a newbie.

if your channels are in the clear Qam, then yes these tv's are fine...let me explain..Time warner in my area has their locals in the clear QAM for HD, so If I wanted my locals in HD I cant get them through my tv without a box, but they encrypt everything else, so if I wanted espn2HD then I would need the box, also many of their digital channels are encrypted as well, so if you are a hbo HD fan or just HBO fan or espn fan then you will need the box.

if your channels are in the clear Qam, then yes these tv's are fine...let me explain..Time warner in my area has their locals in the clear QAM for HD, so If I wanted my locals in HD I cant get them through my tv without a box, but they encrypt everything else, so if I wanted espn2HD then I would need the box, also many of their digital channels are encrypted as well, so if you are a hbo HD fan or just HBO fan or espn fan then you will need the box.

I think you meant to say that you could get your locals without the box stuart628.

Start Over feature

What happened to SOAPnet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)