PLEASE HELP! Any Legacy LNB owners getting Voom at 129?

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Hello, I've posted in a couple other threads about this problem in detail. Short version- IS ANYBODY GETTING VOOM AT 129 WITH LEGACY EQUIPMENT?

My SW21s seem to be blocking TP 12, and I can't get anything off TP 6 or 10 either, even though the signal is there. I only get 4 129 channels- GuyTV, HDNews, & Rave (all on TP 9) and the Dish 1000 slide. Signal strengths are fine. If I hook 129 up directly, I can see TP 12 on the point screen, but I get stuck in a reboot loop if I try to tune anything in.

I have a 942 with the V 2.81 software. Legacy Twin(110/119) and Legacy Dual cascaded through SW21s. Same problem on both switches/tuners. No other reception problems other than these 7 Voom channels. I swapped out the Dual at 129 with another I had in the closet- same problem. I did not switch the SW21s because they are both doing the same thing.

I have gotten plenty of responses elsewhere, but no help because no one has legacy stuff. 61.5 is not an option, so please don't suggest it. I really just want to know if ANYONE is getting Voom with this setup. I don't want to go buy a bunch of DishPro stuff if the problem is in the receiver or software.

dfergie- thanks, but don't go to any trouble. I'm just looking for confirmation that this configuration IS possible, or someone who's had the same problem.

OK, I give up. I hooked 129 up direct again, and I get a good signal on every transponder, including 12 (Equator and Animania), plus a few others in the teens that were not coming in at all before. But I can never view anything...reboots a few times, then goes into disk diagnostics, repeat.

As soon as I run the switch check, those transponders disappear. I have tried every type of switch check- regular, Superdish, alternate, and superdish/alternate- 38s and 50s.

When is Voom at 129 going to be official? I thought it was as of a few weeks ago, but the CSRs say no. Are they simply not going to support legacy equipment? Or do you think I should hold out until new software spools?

M Sparks said:
When is Voom at 129 going to be official? I thought it was as of a few weeks ago, but the CSRs say no.
Well, you know the rule about what CSRs say - the truth is usally the exact opposite. 129 went "official" on Sept. 27th.

I've resigned myself to getting some DishPro stuff. I know a guy in the security system business who does DISH installations on the side- I think he's going to help me out.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, you know the rule about what CSRs say - the truth is usally the exact opposite. 129 went "official" on Sept. 27th.

See, you would know Simon...are they only officially supporting the DISH1000? If so, they may not have built in the legacy switch checks.

Ha- I mocked you a few weeks ago for telling me to go DishPro, and here I am getting ready to buy it. You win :)

you can hook up most any lnbf configuration for a 3 sat link that you would legacy, dish pro, or dish pro plus, if your not able to view anything off the sat then you may have do a hard reset of the receiver to get it to go with the configuration. Hard resets can be done by holding the power button down on the front panel of the receiver until it goes off, after about 90 seconds it will fully reboot. Another way is to unplug the power cord for 5 mins and then plug it back in, you can also force a software download by going into the system info screen and turning off the receiver by the front panel power button.

Van, tried the reboot- got stuck in a loop of "satellite aquisition" screens. Finally hit menu after about 10 minutes and was able to get back out, but same problem.

Someone on another forum pointed out that I am only getting odd numbered transponders(duh, why didn't I think of that), and that it may have something to do with the higher switch voltage. I am going to try switching out the older SW21 for my other spare.

Thanks for the confirmation that it SHOULD work...it makes me want to try more things.

:D

Nothing special about a Dish1000. It's just a DPP-Twin plus DP Dual, OR DP-Twin, DP Dual, DP34. Same configuration can be done with 1, 2, or 3 dishes. Pans don't matter. :)

As for Legacy - well, ya, it SHOULD work, but this IS E* after all.

Which is why I tend to recommend retiring Legacy gear whenever possible. ;)

Yah, I swapped out the oldest SW21- still nothing. If I was dealing with an SW64, I'm sure it would be fine. It might actually be the 942- not giving out enough voltage to change properly.

I'm just going to reluctantly pick up the DP LNBs, or possibly the 1000 complete dish. It looks like I need to move my Dish 500 about 10 feet east on the house anyway. I've always had a weak signal on 110 due to trees, but we just lived with it, since it just meant a blackout or two when it got windy. Now it's causing frequent pixelation on HDNET and Discovery HD. I tried swapping it with the dish pointing at 129 about 4 foot to the east. It increased 110 to the high 60s, but I lost 119 entirely. So I figure a little more ought to do it. I might as well just put up the 1000 while I'm at it.

Not having problems with my legacy LNB's or switches. I currently have an 811 tied to a Dish 500 satellite. I zip tied a single legacy LNB on the left side of the dual LNB's on the satellite and picked up 129 immediatly. The strength is around 60, but I have no problems receiving the channels. Used an SW21 to tie them to my 811.

Well, a friend got me a Dish 1000 cheap, and I put the LNBs in my old dishes. Not only am I getting everything fine now from 129, my 110 signal seems more stable too.

Looking at the DishPro installation instructions, I saw the note about how the conductor should not extend past the f-connector by "more than the width of a nickel". I had never heard of such a thing, and I don't know if it's only related to DishPro or what. But almost all my connections were pretty long, so I snipped them all as I went along. Could that have been part of the problem?

Anyway, I'm happy now. I'll put the 1000 dish up eventually, I just didn't want to mess with aiming it today.

M Sparks said:
Looking at the DishPro installation instructions, I saw the note about how the conductor should not extend past the f-connector by "more than the width of a nickel". I had never heard of such a thing, and I don't know if it's only related to DishPro or what. But almost all my connections were pretty long, so I snipped them all as I went along. Could that have been part of the problem?

Anyway, I'm happy now. I'll put the 1000 dish up eventually, I just didn't want to mess with aiming it today.

Oh yea stingers that are to long can cause a host of problems related to the operation of your system, 510 dvrs are sensitive to this issue more than others for some strange reason.

dfergie- getting anywhere from high 60s to high 80s on 129, depending on the transponder. Pretty good considering I'm in Arizona and the thing looks like it's facing right into a 60 foot high Pondorosa Pine.

Van- What's the difference between a 510 and a 508? I was running a 508 with no problems. Anyway, I'm going to pretend that solving the problem wasn't as easy as snipping the "stingers". I know the DishPro stuff will save me trouble in the long run.

Last night, ALL my signals started going in and out about 9pm MST. Was there a solar disturbance or storm over an uplink center? Since the cables to the receivers were already run, I hooked up both outputs of the DPP Twin and left one dangling in the house. I went to the DP Separator and swapped the input cables. I couldn't get anything at first, but after I switched to a channel on another bird, everything started coming in again. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or yet another bad cable.

Guys- To recieve the VOOM HD channels, you need to have an HD compatable reciever to start with- I'm not sure of the model #'s for the newest recievers, but the older 5000 & 6000 need to have the 8PSK module installed as well. The SD channels on dish network use QPSK modulation, where as the HD channels all use 8PSK modulation. The HD recievers will decode both types, but the standard recievers 301, 322, 501, 510, etc. will only decode the QPSK side.- hope this helps

VOIP phone and Dish 625

Please Help before I get a 625

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)