Paramount +

Apple’s streaming device, while increasing, has a real low market share-

• Roku leads the North American CTV device market with 48% SOV
  • Samsung Smart TV ranks second with 10% SOV, -49% YoY from Q1 2023 to Q1 2024
  • Amazon Fire TV ranks third with 10% SOV
  • Apple TV ranks fourth with 8% SOV, increasing +58% YoY from Q1 2023 to Q1 2024
while these are nice facts, this has absolute nothing to do with what I was talking about when it comes to app reliability and ecosystems

But if we want to get into that.....

Apple is 4th because it's by far the most expensive and the pool of prospective buyers is cut by over 2/3s because Android phone users (~70% of market) are close to 0% likely to buy an Apple TV device, and why should they when the ecosystem tie up is one of the "killer" features.

Most users start with their SmartTV apps until the those fail and then they will migrate to the easiest thing they can. Reminds me of the early 2000s when people would just buy external CD drives if their computer drive failed.

Separately, it's curious they call out "Samsung smart TV" (aka Tizen OS) market share, but don't call out Google TV/Chromecast.

Reactions: navychop
Great units!
Yes they are. Had 4 at one time. gave 3 of them away several years ago when I got into Tivo after leaving Dish. I have 3 Roamios and 2 Bolts that are now OTA only, along with 5 minis spread around the house to use until that goes the way of the dodo, then I'll just use the HD Homerun and Plex dvr.

Market share rarely if ever enters into my tech buying and using decisions. Most reviews I've seen rate AppleTV as the best by various comparisons. Which is why I use it instead of the Roku or FireTV stick, both of which I also have.

But honestly, I almost always use the apps installed on my 2020 vintage Sony. So far all my apps work flawlessly. Occasionally Apple TV supplies better picture or sound quality but most of the time the TV apps work just fine.

Market share rarely if ever enters into my tech buying and using decisions. Most reviews I've seen rate AppleTV as the best by various comparisons. Which is why I use it instead of the Roku or FireTV stick, both of which I also have.

But honestly, I almost always use the apps installed on my 2020 vintage Sony. So far all my apps work flawlessly. Occasionally Apple TV supplies better picture or sound quality but most of the time the TV apps work just fine.
Wish I could say the same about my X950H. It was usable as a backup to whatever streaming device I have been using at the time, but no longer. Ever since the most recent update (or maybe the one before that?), all streaming apps crash. Either way, it never could have been my primary streaming interface. The remote is really not good enough. I actually am relieved at this point since it really is just a dumb TV now.

Wish I could say the same about my X950H. It was usable as a backup to whatever streaming device I have been using at the time, but no longer. Ever since the most recent update (or maybe the one before that?), all streaming apps crash. Either way, it never could have been my primary streaming interface. The remote is really not good enough. I actually am relieved at this point since it really is just a dumb TV now.
No idea what your issue might be. Mine is the 90CH model which is the Costco version of the X900H. I still get regular updates from Sony and nothing noticeable has broken.

I do know sooner or later the apps will stop working, so I do have other options.

You guys are getting me interested in the Apple TV. But the below gives me pause. I’ll read the details but I’m guessing the older yet more expensive one has more memory.
IMG_7529.jpeg

I have a couple of Rokus, a Roku TV and a firestick. Stopped using the firestick because it was faster than my Sony TV, but started losing audio. Made no difference if it was plugged into the TV or the AVR. So I went back to the Sony built in smarts. A little slower but rarely lose audio.

Maybe I should move a Roku to the Sony and see how that works.

Pretty sure the memory on the AppleTV is mostly an issue for playing games. My newest, 3rd generation 4K model, the box says 128GB. Looks like for the WiFi only model the memory is 64GB. The wired network model like mine has 128GB. The 3rd generation should have an updated processor too.

You can download an app called ADB from the Google store and it will let you uninstall a lot of the fluff and speed up your tv. it will also let you uninstall "preinstalled apps" that cannot be uninstalled via the regular uninstall process. That would let you reinstall them via the app store and possibly solve your problem. Of course, be careful because you don't want to accidentally delete a core OS file.
You guys are getting me interested in the Apple TV. But the below gives me pause. I’ll read the details but I’m guessing the older yet more expensive one has more memory.
The older one is just older and not made anymore, so there's always someone trying to get top dollar. I would not buy that one as the new one has more storage and the remote charges by USB-C instead of lightning (one less cable!). The one also does away with internal fan as well. Its much more power efficient.

There are two models this 3rd generation
4K wifi ($129) - this has 64GB storage and only connects via wifi
4K wifi + ethernet ($149) - this has 128GB storage and has an ethernet port. This model also has a built-in Thread hub, which is pretty nice if you're running a Homekit home.

Reactions: navychop
Looks like from the amazing place, it’s ~$190 to get gen 3 with Ethernet. I’ve wired my home and prefer it over wireless.

Although I must admit the wireless things I have work just fine.

Now I have to look up HomeKit Home. No interest in the Fitness +

View attachment 174975

I have a couple of Rokus, a Roku TV and a firestick. Stopped using the firestick because it was faster than my Sony TV, but started losing audio. Made no difference if it was plugged into the TV or the AVR. So I went back to the Sony built in smarts. A little slower but rarely lose audio.

Maybe I should move a Roku to the Sony and see how that works.
Those are too old to buy. Apple lovers will tell you they are great but they have their own set of issues with apps, mostly around sound. Remote is also terrible for actually FF/RW in a lot of the apps.

Nvidia shield costs too much for it's age also and the Android version will become an issue.

I ended up getting the latest Fire cube. The 1st 2 versions were not great but this one is highly rated with the specs, upconverting, etc. As long as you are fine with the Amazon UI. I would pick between Roku and Fire cube, Apple or Shield would be a distant 3rd because of the age of them.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Looks like from the amazing place, it’s ~$190 to get gen 3 with Ethernet. I’ve wired my home and prefer it over wireless.

Although I must admit the wireless things I have work just fine.

Now I have to look up HomeKit Home. No interest in the Fitness +
The 2024 Roku Ultra is on sale for $79.

Bought one a week ago when released, it is amazingly fast, even over the 2022 model, every app works ( I have a lot) perfectly.

My TV is also a 2024 model (98” TCL QM85) and the TV apps are incredibly slow compared to the new Roku.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I ended up getting the latest Fire cube. The 1st 2 versions were not great but this one is highly rated with the specs, upconverting, etc. As long as you are fine with the Amazon UI. I would pick between Roku and Fire cube, Apple or Shield would be a distant 3rd because of the age of them.
You couldn't give me an Amazon Fire TV device. And yes the UI is the biggest issue plus I am not a fan of dealing with Amazon period.

The latest gen of the Apple TV was released in October 2022 so it is two years old and still the most powerful consumer streaming device on the planet. Another one hasn't been released in two years because it isn't needed at this time. The age of it means nothing.

Check the prices on the Apple website. You can usually find a deal online or in some stores that are a bit under the Apple Price. Never buy one anywhere that is higher than the Apple website.

You couldn't give me an Amazon Fire TV device. And yes the UI is the biggest issue plus I am not a fan of dealing with Amazon period.

The latest gen of the Apple TV was released in October 2022 so it is two years old and still the most powerful consumer streaming device on the planet. Another one hasn't been released in two years because it isn't needed at this time. The age of it means nothing.
Sorry but it is not the most powerful. You need to read actual comparisons of the specs and benchmarks. It also lacks some key things that knock it down from the Roku and Fire Cube being better.

Consumer streaming may not care about everything but a consumer streaming device should be over $100 and definitely not $150 now. The Shield is $200 and that definitely isn't consumer.

Sorry but it is not the most powerful. You need to read actual comparisons of the specs and benchmarks. It also lacks some key things that knock it down from the Roku and Fire Cube being better.

Consumer streaming may not care about everything but a consumer streaming device should be over $100 and definitely not $150 now. The Shield is $200 and that definitely isn't consumer.
for benchmark power, you're not wrong, but Apple "power" really is an apple and oranges comparison (no pun intended). Apple devices will rarely outperform in benchmarks, but the OS is designed specifically for the hardware, and vice versa. Longevity is well documented. There are a lot of people running 2013 MBPs because they still work very well today. People hold onto Apple hardware for so long that Apple catches flak for "forced obsolescence" when they inevitably drop support after 10+ years.

You'd be hard pressed to find a 2013 Dell/HP/Lenovo still in use today, despite how much more they outperformed those MBPs in benchmarks due to their being more "powerful."

Those are too old to buy. Apple lovers will tell you they are great but they have their own set of issues with apps, mostly around sound. Remote is also terrible for actually FF/RW in a lot of the apps.
So while it might be "too old" in your opinion, it would not surprise if in 2 years, people will still be using those Apple TVs while you will have replaced that Fire Cube.

In what respect? Certainly can't be hardware specs. I'd be curious to know what streaming devices out there have more than 4GB of RAM and score better than the A15 Bionic on CPU tests. My only real complaint is the way it handles audio.

Does B/R Sports on Max have MLB postseason games from TBS?