Owned or Leased

roundhead61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've got a question I've never been able to figure out. What is the financial advantage of owning a receiver vs. leasing it. It seems like you would always pay the same receiver fees, hd access fees, etc. regardless. When the receiver finally becomes obsolete, who cares, it has no value anyway.

It used to be an advantage to own your own receiver, but not anymore. If you buy one now and want to add it to your account, you don't have to sign another 2 year agreement, you only have to re-up for 2 yrs if you lease. So I guess there are still some advantages to owning.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Put quite succinctly.

If you are leasing the max tuners allowed, you could buy a box to add on.

I sold a 501, a 625, and a 311 for nearly what I paid for them! :) I still have a 4900 and a 301 which are pretty much devoid of value. :(

I think its cheaper in the long run to lease. You buy equipment sell it years later you lose money, leasing electronic if it goes bad they replace it. Ok you sign a contract but do you really want to come up with 5-6 hundred bucks to start service with a new company. This is just my opinion. I dont see a advantage to owning any equipment from a tv service company

NY Times: Paying a ‘Sports Tax,’ Even if You Don’t Watch

922 EHD and TV2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)