Joey2 or H3 issue with black screen

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
G'morning friends.
Having a problem last several weeks, perhaps a month. Recordings that won't start right away. This is on main tv with joey2. If not mistaken, mostly prime time recordings.
I select a recorded show. the tv screen turns black. And it stays black!. After waiting 15-30 seconds I go back to DVR and start all over. This usually solves the problem. Sometimes I press forward button on remote when the screen is black. It usually works. I find it annoying.

What is causing this? The cable between H3 and joey2 is tight. Other Joeys are fine.

Is Joey on its last breath? Is one of my dead relatives playing a game with me?
Do I need to live with it or consider a replacement Joey soon?
Thanks for reading.

Reactions: LQQK
We tried to watch Tracker and The Equalizer last night. It was a nightmare.

The wife unit went to PTAT and selected Tracker - after enduring a 30 second black screen it loaded 60 Minutes near the end but when she tried to skip to the beginning of tracker it jumped to Live TV.

So we started over again and just let it play to Tracker and even endured commercials (on mute) but when she tried to skip the end commercials to watch The Equalizer, it jumped to Live TV again.

So we started over and this time endured about a 30 second black screen dropping us into the ending of Tracker where we allowed it to play.

About half way through The Equalizer I paused the recording to see how the Sunday Night Football game was going but when I switched back I got the 30 second black screen and was sent back to the ending of 60 Minutes which I had to fast forward through then fast forward through Tracker to where we were when I had so foolishly switched to Sunday Night Football.

We finally watched the last 1/2 of tracker, were mentally exhausted and went to bed.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
We tried to watch Tracker and The Equalizer last night. It was a nightmare.

The wife unit went to PTAT and selected Tracker - after enduring a 30 second black screen it loaded 60 Minutes near the end but when she tried to skip to the beginning of tracker it jumped to Live TV.

So we started over again and just let it play to Tracker and even endured commercials (on mute) but when she tried to skip the end commercials to watch The Equalizer, it jumped to Live TV again.

So we started over and this time endured about a 30 second black screen dropping us into the ending of Tracker where we allowed it to play.

About half way through The Equalizer I paused the recording to see how the Sunday Night Football game was going but when I switched back I got the 30 second black screen and was sent back to the ending of 60 Minutes which I had to fast forward through then fast forward through Tracker to where we were when I had so foolishly switched to Sunday Night Football.

We finally watched the last 1/2 of tracker, were mentally exhausted and went to bed.
This is a known bug in H382. Watch the show the following day and it will play perfectly.

Experimenting with the skip forward and Fast forward on the Joey 3.0 and Hopper 3.
It appears the timing on the PTAT is confused.
Skip forward (used while PTAT is still recording) sends you to "Live TV" but it is at the end of the first recording of that evenings programming.
Pressing Fast Forward just gives you the "live TV" notice on the screen, but if you rewind a bit then you can Fast Forward past the end of that first episode and go to wherever you want to in that ongoing recording.
Skip forward still skips you "forward" to the end of the first recording but you can Fast Forward past it with a short burst of rewind.
We still occasionally get the 30 second or so black screen, it appears to happen when going from live TV to the PTAT recording.

Hope this helps the Dish people to trouble shoot the problem.

11 year old DISH Joey -- using WiFi but want to change it to Ethernet

Questions about Hopper Plus