OK, which one's the easiest ? 1000.2 or 1000.4

jimmooney

Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
WOW, all the info is great . . 1000.2 vs 1000.4. BUT, I have this dilemna: I'm brand new with Dish (I had Directv for 2yrs > > too $$$$). I just got a 622 HD-DVR for home. THEN, this Spring, I plan on buying a 211k for our motorhome, and use their Pay-As-You-Go program. (+$7/mo. period . . a bargain). BUT, which dish should I get: 1000.2 or 1000.4 ? I align using an Acutrac III, and really needed the fine-tune adjustments (Az & El) on the Directv dish. On the road I set up almost nightly (different campgrounds), so I'm looking for the easiest to align, and full nation coverage (excluding Key West & Wash. state). I wish there was a knob on the 1000.4 EL adjustment. Suggestions ? ? ?​

WOW, all the info is great . . 1000.2 vs 1000.4. BUT, I have this dilemna: I'm brand new with Dish (I had Directv for 2yrs > > too $$$$). I just got a 622 HD-DVR for home. THEN, this Spring, I plan on buying a 211k for our motorhome, and use their Pay-As-You-Go program. (+$7/mo. period . . a bargain). BUT, which dish should I get: 1000.2 or 1000.4 ? I align using an Acutrac III, and really needed the fine-tune adjustments (Az & El) on the Directv dish. On the road I set up almost nightly (different campgrounds), so I'm looking for the easiest to align, and full nation coverage (excluding Key West & Wash. state). I wish there was a knob on the 1000.4 EL adjustment. Suggestions ? ? ?​

As for setting up the dishes there really is no difference as for fine tuning the 1000.4 has fine tuning cams and rods.

If hd is not an issue while camping, I would just get a 500 dish with a DishPro Plus Twin LNB. Much easier to aim. If HD is a must have, I personally would go with the 1000.2 dish. Easier to aim than k.4 IMHO.

The 1000.2 WA setup is different from the 1000.4 EA setup. They are not interchangeable.

The 1000.2 dish is being phased out. The 1000.4 will be used in the future, with two different LNB assemblies for the two arcs. I do not know of any way to -easily- use a 1000.2 on EA. You may want to decide which arc you are going to use the most, and plan on always aiming at that arc, regardless of where you are in the country.

I have looked at using my old 500 equipped tripod with a 1000.4 and decided it would not be stable enough. Plus, aiming is more difficult.

Good luck.

I'm not so sure your AT 3 will work well with either 1000,x
Intsed of a D500 you may consider the original 1000 dish
its smaller lighter more durable and easier to point and would give you the hd channels

Hands down 1000.2

The 1000.4 pan is so flimsy you will have it bent before you know it. I have to flex almost everyone I install just to get them to work decent. The 1000.2 is much much much easier to point. The old 1000 is a smaller dish, but never did get the 129 decent.

I just installed a 1000.2 at my winter home in Mesa, AZ. Got it all mounted and pointed in the direction I thought was close. Went in to the house to check for signal and I had all three sats. I'm sure it was dumb luck but it doesn't get any easier than that.

You actually have a choice of 4 dishes for DISH HD original 1000 satellites 110/119/129 small and marginal for 129 in some locations. 1000+ large and solid designed for 110/118.7/119 & 129 pdobably maximum signal but overkill with international satellite. 1000.2 for 110/119/129 improvement over the 1000 larger surface area and solid. 1000.4 for 61.5/72 and 77 Eastern Arc limited as Eastern Arc satellite can't be used across the country. A Western Arc LNB is being released so this one dish can be used either EA or WA by changing the LNB assembly. Too little experience so far to know how well this concept will work.

1000.2 would probably work the best in most of the country.

The 1000.4 (western arc is what we put in here) is truly a fine piece of equipment. The 1000.2s were nice but the solidity of the 1k4 along with the fine tuning adjustments really make it a pleasure to install. I was concerned about the mounting differences before we started getting them, but the pros outweigh the cons significantly.

I vote for the original 1000. Smaller, sturdy and easier to aim. Set the skew properly, use the DP dual to aim at 129, then add the DPP twin. Check switch and done. No meter required and the original 1000 is cheap.

I vote for the original 1000. Smaller, sturdy and easier to aim. Set the skew properly, use the DP dual to aim at 129, then add the DPP twin. Check switch and done. No meter required and the original 1000 is cheap.

129W signal strength was always low using to 1000. Drawback from using the smaller reflector. Its weird, in the last six years, I've only taken one D1000 out of an existing setup. I haven't even seen one on a service call since that time.

I have been using a 1000 for setting up on the road for 5 years. I think a 1000.2 would work fine too.

One thing you need is a good tripod with adjustable legs to get a vertical mast. The best tripod I have found is the Heavy Duty model from TV4RV.com. A meter that can drive a 22KHx signal makes life a lot easier to setup the dish without worrying about what the receiver is set for.

I have documented the equipment I use at Full-Timing Satellite TV

Dish 1000.2 and 118

722 loses audio for 10-15 seconds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)