New Channels Added: - Discoveries & Fox Movie

I sure hope they are planning on a middle tier package that will have these new channels. I don't have time to watch all of those movie channels that come with the VaVaVoom package, so I don't feel that paying the $90 just to get the new channels is worth it. And when the DVR comes out the price will more than likely go over a $100+, so i will need a middle of the road package to fit V* in my budget.

jbcheshire said:
I sure hope they are planning on a middle tier package that will have these new channels. I don't have time to watch all of those movie channels that come with the VaVaVoom package, so I don't feel that paying the $90 just to get the new channels is worth it. And when the DVR comes out the price will more than likely go over a $100+, so i will need a middle of the road package to fit V* in my budget.

From what Scott just posted you won't have to VaVa for your kids to go GaGa... :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
If VOOM had a middle teir I would take it. I do not need VaVaVOOM because it would duplicate what I am already paying for from Dish. If VOOM had a DVR I would dump dish and pick up VaVaVOOM in a heartbeat. :)

I think reqiring people $40 more a month to watch 5 SD Basic Cable channels is a bad idea. I would like to see something in the middle of the road. Again if I want premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc) I would subscribe to them. These Discovery Channels are not premium channels, nor warrent a $40 increase just to see them.

Scott you are confusing me. Why would you buy your premium package from dish, when if you bought it from Voom you would get Show/TMC/Starz in HD (dish only offers sd). Even if you are still locked into dish with a contract you can downsize your program package to get rid of the premiums and then upgrade to VAVAVoom!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
No I don't believe you will need VaVa for it. :D

I hope that's true, when my husband (lurch4711) called Voom earlier today he was told by a supervisor that *any* new channels added could be considered by Voom to be equivalents of the premium movie channels and so they would be included in the VaVaVoom package only.

I am amused by the people who want more, more and more channels added with no increase in price... D* and E* give you NOTHING for free! They nickle and dime you to death..... People expect VOOM to provide every channel on the planet for $49 bucks a month? LOL......

Sean Mota said:
Just a though occured to me. I am with you guys that they should have given you at least a preview of the channels and then move them to another tier or the VAVAVOOM tier. But remember how long is it being since StarzHD has been free to all subs? Is it still free? How about sunshine? I know one thing has nothing to do with the other. But I feel that we need to bring those the conversation as well. Please don't flame me for bringing that up. :no
Would never dare to flame you, Mr. Mota. But... :D
The sentence you wrote there that I most agree with is "I know one thing has nothing to do with the other.". Yes, STARZ-HD has been free for quite some time now. But I think that's just a screw-up on Voom's part -- I mean really, if it was now considered part of the basic package don't you think Voom would be shouting that news from the rooftops? I don't expect it to stay free forever. However, if they give me their word that STARZ-HD will remain part of the basic package they can add every crappy ma and pa SD channel they want to VaVa and I'll shut the hell up. But until they announce that's their decision (or create a middle tier type thing with some of these new channels) I'm of the opinion that one screw-up doesn't justify the other.

D* and E* nickle and dime you to death for every channel they add..... Some people crack me up... They want VOOM to provide every channel on the planet for $49 a month? LOL.....

I agree that a 3rd package would make sense for VOOM....

Things seem to be brewing for the next batch of new channels to be HD.
Blips flickers and now black screens where once loops ran.
Has anyone ever noticed before today that HDNews sports highlights were provided by INHD?

I meant from a preview point of view being compensated with starzhd instead of the new channels even though I know it is a mistake. Again I know one has nothing to do with the other but just a thought...

I'm hoping Noggin is Voom and not VavaVoom. :D

I also hope they offer the other new channels - especially the discovery channels - if not for free, then at some reasonable price. :)

richard_rd said:
Scott you are confusing me. Why would you buy your premium package from dish, when if you bought it from Voom you would get Show/TMC/Starz in HD (dish only offers sd). Even if you are still locked into dish with a contract you can downsize your program package to get rid of the premiums and then upgrade to VAVAVoom!!!

I get the everything package from Dish, I have 5 DVR's if I canceled my Everything package it would cost me $25 a month.

deeann said:
I hope that's true, when my husband (lurch4711) called Voom earlier today he was told by a supervisor that *any* new channels added could be considered by Voom to be equivalents of the premium movie channels and so they would be included in the VaVaVoom package only.
I am fairly confident of it now. :) No VaVa for your kids to go GaGa. :D

Threv said:
I wouldn't place all the blame on our legislators they have benn looking intro this for awhile and given the current industry dynamic there is not a clear answer.
I've read (this is the cable companies line, but independant Networks like Oxygen, CSPAN etc have issues with it too) that that A' la carte pricing would not really save your average customer any money and could actually raise prices in the long run. if you subscribe to WSJ online they have an article
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB105210102558990500,00.html?mod=INDUSTRY

An interesting but old (but free) article in Wired http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64399,00.html

the article is relatively balanced for wired articel and covers the back and forth pretty well.

That's what they claim because they know the mediocere channels they try to feed us will fall from the wayside. I have had c-band for many years and ala carte was nice as pie to me. I didn't pay more than I would have otherwise, I agree I didn't pay less either but I paid for the channels I liked and that's all I needed. I don't need a plethora of news feeds or the watch making channel or what not. If you could pick say 60 channels you like and pay only for them would you, sure you would now why shouldn't it be that frigin easy. We don't go to Home Depot for a shovel and be forced to buy a dang rake with it do we.
I for one will not buy the line of crap from the legislators or the program providers it just should not be this way period and we as consumers keep buying their crap stories. Let's face it if no one is buying a channel that would be a clear picture it stinks so make a better one. Ever wonder how broadcast TV stations are still around? That's free TV baby and has been from the beginning. It's all about politics and little to do with how it should be.

Sean Mota said:
Just a though occured to me. I am with you guys that they should have given you at least a preview of the channels and then move them to another tier or the VAVAVOOM tier. But remember how long is it being since StarzHD has been free to all subs? Is it still free? How about sunshine? I know one thing has nothing to do with the other. But I feel that we need to bring those the conversation as well. Please don't flame me for bringing that up. :no

I agree that it's very generous of them to do that (if it's not an error), and is a nice bonus (Comcast in my area does something similar with the Encore pack in (if I remember right) the digital basic or digital mid-tier), but the new channels in question are for the most part not commercial-free or at the same category as HBO/SHO, etc., but are being treated as if they were. I know Voom is going through a weird time as it is, but this doesn't really help. I think they should either add a middle tier at a modest rate, or bump these down to the basic package.

LunkHead said:
D* and E* nickle and dime you to death for every channel they add..... Some people crack me up... They want VOOM to provide every channel on the planet for $49 a month? LOL.....

I agree that a 3rd package would make sense for VOOM....
$49 a month? Why so much?

I find it amusing to actually state that commercial channels such as those that were added are fully equitable to channels such as HBO and Showtime. I also am amused and annoyed that supervisors will lie to customers in relating their little personal anecdotes to back-up company decisions (which I will believe is the case until I find a cable provider in Spokane that requires you to purchase HBO, Showtime, TMC, etc in order to get standard ESPN).

lurch4711 said:
I find it amusing to actually state that commercial channels such as those that were added are fully equitable to channels such as HBO and Showtime. I also am amused and annoyed that supervisors will lie to customers in relating their little personal anecdotes to back-up company decisions (which I will believe is the case until I find a cable provider in Spokane that requires you to purchase HBO, Showtime, TMC, etc in order to get standard ESPN).
Not just commercial channels, but commercial SD channels!

Still, if we want Voom to be around with commercial-free HD, we better be ready to pay up!

New VoOm 30min Info Commiceral!

Dolans new dish