My transistion to fiber

MartyDe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
CT
I finally was able to make a switch from cable (Cox) to fiber. There are two fiber companies on my street, Frontier and Gonetspeed. I tried Frontier first because they were my old wired phone company. When I called it was like talking to Cox. Took awhile to get to the right person. Explained I wanted fiber connect with phone. I was given there lowest intro deals. I found out they had to get payment direct from bank account. To get auto pay on credit card $5 extra. OK we'll see.
Gonetspeed was a 100% online experience. Packages listed, pick speed, add phone, simple. No charge to auto pay on credit card. I signed up with them and was presented with an appointment page. Selected date and time, all done. Install was smooth and so far I'm happy. Had to go to a site to set up account payment after install.
I'll say prices were real close and it did not influence my decision. I just liked the Gonetspeed process much better than Frontier's.

I have Cox fiber now with data cap. Just waiting for the day we have some competition. Afters years of failed Windstream promises, it appears Metronet has decided to move into the area and broken ground on pulling fiber throughout the City over the next 2 years. Of course we heard the same thing from Windstream 3 yrs ago and haven't seen anything but the same old faulty 3Mbps DSL.

After a couple of years of promising fiber, a small company called Highline is bringing it to my neighborhood. They called yesterday (I was on the list) and said they start installing in two weeks, probably 6-8 weeks for hookup.

I was pretty excited since I've been on 4G cellular (usually about 40/2 mbps) since I moved here five years ago. They said that their lowest level service is 400/400 mbps for $91 or 1 gbps for $111. That sounds high. Is that a typical rate for fiber?

Thanks.

Reactions: osu1991
After a couple of years of promising fiber, a small company called Highline is bringing it to my neighborhood. They called yesterday (I was on the list) and said they start installing in two weeks, probably 6-8 weeks for hookup.

I was pretty excited since I've been on 4G cellular (usually about 40/2 mbps) since I moved here five years ago. They said that their lowest level service is 400/400 mbps for $91 or 1 gbps for $111. That sounds high. Is that a typical rate for fiber?

Thanks.

Its kind of high. Cox at my primary home is $90 for 500/500 with 1.2TB data cap. I pay $50 for 100/100 at our lake house with no data cap from the rural co-op.

Reactions: rvvaquero
I have had GoNetspeed for 4 years now and they have been awesome.

I am in the gig plan and my price is locked in for life.

Works exactly as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I am paying $69 a month for full gigabit. I also pay $10 a month extra for a static ip address. So I can use my plex server from out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
That is about what I was paying for 1G from Charter.

If I only had 40 down and fiber at that price was your only other option, I would go for it.

Our need for better and faster internet will increase every year, it is the direction that all media is going in.

Books, Newspapers, Magazines, music, Movies, Video Games will all be digital only, 10 years at the latest.

So I can use my plex server from out of the house.
Dynamic DNS combined with port forwarding (especially useful with Plex since it runs on an unusual port) or Tailscale are free options.

I use Tailscale for everything involving computers at different locations (even if the locations aren't random). I can't remember the last time I referred to my dynamic DNS domain for my router.

I run other servers as well as well as my security cameras. so direct is best. I have used Tailscale in the past for other things. Its really cool having all your networks available no matter what device you are on. :D

so direct is best.
Tailscale now allows a client to act as a gateway to an entire LAN so if you set it up accordingly, you can refer to any device in your tailnet by its DNS name from anywhere on your tailnet.

My router is set up as a Tailscale node and I can access anything on the LAN side by either DNS name (my preference) or IP address (I don't typically run fixed IP).

"Overlay networks" are awesome and Tailscale is just one example.

Verizon buying Frontier

Charter claims they are going to provide better pricing