Losing Voom

rexoverbey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I again got double charged $52.09 twice by Voom today. I called Voom and they said they put a hold every month for the next month. My bank said it did have two 52.09 charges. I called Voom back and said I needed to have Voom mail me a bill since it was messing up my checking. They told me I will have to cancel my account if I don't want to pay this way. I can't believe this is how they do buisness. Oh well, I guess I can leave a good review of voom at every home theater forum I go to :mad: .

this is just the nature of the VISA system. The diference is how your bank is interpreting the hold they place on the account. They place the hold on at the beginning of the month, then, at the end of the month, they actually make the charge. Your bank is taking too long in removing the hold. I actually have mine charging to a real credit card, just seems more fool proof that way. With my grace period, it's not like i pay any interest on it.

BTW the manager I spoke to says they don't mail bills because they don't trust customers! That is pretty straight forward! They can initiate this method now just as every other provider of television services does, but insists on not trusting their customers. Well if Voom doesn't trust their customers how are we supposed to trust them? It wasn't me who made a mistake on billing. It was their billling department combined with Visa. Yet I'm forced to look like a fool for their incompetence.

rexoverbey said:
BTW the manager I spoke to says they don't mail bills because they don't trust customers! That is pretty straight forward! They can initiate this method now just as every other provider of television services does, but insists on not trusting their customers. Well if Voom doesn't trust their customers how are we supposed to trust them? It wasn't me who made a mistake on billing. It was their billling department combined with Visa. Yet I'm forced to look like a fool for their incompetence.
they require credit card payments

#1 because you are leasing without a contract and could run off with a 700 dollar reciever or two.

#2 because you dont have a contract and could decide you dont feel like paying.

#3 I dont blame them I wouldnt trust anyone to pay or not steal my equipment either.

I have noticed this a few times with my cable bill -- which I pay with a VISA check card. Money will disappear from my account in twice the amount it should, but then it will reappear within 48-72 hours. This is your bank's problem, not VOOM's. Get a new bank, or pay with a real credit card. :)

Cable companies don't require a contract, dish network now offeres a no contract. On top of that you get the hd receiver for free.

Get a new bank
That is kind of lame thing to do just for a satellite company. As for the credit card why should I be forced to put on a credit card? They should have an option to take from your checking account. "Just like every provider, or public service does". You can pay any other bill I can think of this way. If you can think of any other place that won't, then :rolleyes: post it.

I don't get it...
When I signed up, I was told it had to be a Credit Card, not a check card...so I did.
Then after the first month I switched over to my check card (Which does have a Visa logo)...no problems so far. No double billing or such.

Oh and I do get a monthly bill...it's not really a bill but a statement showing the payments...

I don't understand what happened in your case rexoverbey, but I would check with your bank to see what gives.

Maybe they are taking out or pending for a couple of days. But still what is the point of Voom doing this? I didn't notice them doing this till today. They probably do the same thing with credit cards.

I use Union Planters which is a huge bank. I haven't ever had problems taking money out of my account for directv, charter, or any other company in general. It has to be with voom since they are practically a new company.

What I have seen so for with mine is on the day they actually process the charge.
TWO authorization requests show on my checking account.
one from "recurring charge/Rainbow DBS" and one from just "recurring charge"
so the next 3 days Double the amount of my bill is not available to me. then the actual charge show up from Rainbow DBS and the following day the bogus authorization will disappear. so for about 4 to 5 days I need to have twice the amount of my bill in my account. it sucks but its not that big a deal since I know that it is happening.

Of course it would be nice to get the statement a week before they charge me instead of a week after.

Okay so that is what is going on. This is probably the reason most people don't notice that they have been double charged, because it goes back in 5 days later.

Anyone who uses a check card when they qualify for a real credit card is really ignorant of the risks they take. If you don't qualify for a real credit card, fine, a different situation; but if you do, you should shut down those VISA check cards and use a credit card responsibly.

Yea, I did find some of this out the hard way tho, Luckily I got my bank to drop the overdraft charges.

who uses a check card when they qualify for a real credit card is really ignorant of the risks they take
What? Most people prefer to use check cards because it comes straight out of their bank account. On top of that you don't have to worry about interests rates and other credit issues.

Had OTA last night

VOOM Has A New Distributor! $500 Rebate on HDTV's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)