Looks like Physical Movie Rental are almost gone

Another step towards the end of physical media-

that Sony will “gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs.”

I still buy 4K Discs, but unfortunately, I give the format about 5 years of life left, by then, everyone will be able to stream thanks to new options, like Amazon’s Satellite Broadband for one example.

that Sony will “gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs.”

I still buy 4K Discs, but unfortunately, I give the format about 5 years of life left, by then, everyone will be able to stream thanks to new options, like Amazon’s Satellite Broadband for one example.

I never got into buying physical media, it always seemed like a waste of money. Never bought a VHS movie or DVD, but did buy some music CDs and always felt like I was ripped off and never got my money's worth for at least half of what I bought. I sold my CD collection off in 2002 when used CD stores were still buying them and never looked back. I still own like 6 CDs and the only way I have to play them is an external DVD drive I'd need to plug into a computer. Green Day Dookie is one of them, my first CD I ever bought.

I also sold off or gave away all my physical media. The stuff I cared about is stored in legit cloud services. It makes me nervous not having physical copies of everything, but I figure if the cloud infrastructure blows up for some reason, we will have bigger worries than not having access to movies and music.

Reactions: AZ. and dishdude
I also sold off or gave away all my physical media. The stuff I cared about is stored in legit cloud services. It makes me nervous not having physical copies of everything, but I figure if the cloud infrastructure blows up for some reason, we will have bigger worries than not having access to movies and music.

We still have ours! ;)

I never got into buying physical media, it always seemed like a waste of money. Never bought a VHS movie or DVD, but did buy some music CDs and always felt like I was ripped off and never got my money's worth for at least half of what I bought. I sold my CD collection off in 2002 when used CD stores were still buying them and never looked back. I still own like 6 CDs and the only way I have to play them is an external DVD drive I'd need to plug into a computer. Green Day Dookie is one of them, my first CD I ever bought.
Unfortunately I have DVD collection going back to the 90s sitting in my office and I bought a few Blu Rays but found them too high to pay for. My old Blu Ray player had to be replaced last year. Some of my favorite movies are on dvds.

I just threw out my old Cassette music tape collection from the 80s and 90s from when I was in my 20s and early 30s. The old cassette player radio boom box died and I threw it out too. I gave up my music albums that I had from the 70s and early 80s too. I also have a lot of CDs sitting in a cabinet in the bedroom that I haven't listened to since 2017. I probably should eliminate them too. I hate that I spent all that money on technology that is no longer usable.

I finally read this all the way through. Sounds like this is just about recordable DB discs which aren't selling any more.

Yeh, I had a Dual with Shure cartridge from the early 70's. Got rid of in the 90's
I don't even remember which one I had (its been that long).
It had basically a suspension, where as if the table got hit or moved or bumped, it wouldn't skip a beat ...
Loved it, it was awesome.

I may have to swing into to my buddy's store and inquire which one it was, I'm sure they have it on the computer system somewhere.

Maybe its on physical paper in the files downtown ... lol

Albums are on thier way back !
Sales are up, but still an extremely small part of music sales.

Factoring in streaming and downloads of single tracks, however, that number drops to less than 5 percent of album equivalent music consumption, which puts things in perspective. According to RIAA, vinyl records accounted for 8 percent of record music revenues in the U.S. last year, as streaming continues to be the industry's biggest moneymaker by far.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

I don't buy much anymore, but I do like that once a physical disc is in my hands it is there forever and unchanged (Hans shot first). All the streaming services have titles that come and go, and less popular or dated titles never make it back into rotation.

I was looking for a particular disc that I wanted in 4k last week. Went into Best Buy for the first time in a year and discovered that they had totally discontinued all media sales. No DVDs, no CDs. Target had a VERY small selection, as did WalMart, maybe 20 titles each.

I still have - and use - my Zenith CV-660 motorized tray programmable linear tracking turntable. The Zenith is actually a rebranded JVC L-E50B. Very nice unit! :)

Zenith CV-660.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dishdude
I still buy physical disks since I've been burned by losing access to stuff I bought on iTunes and Amazon Video back in the day. More and more stuff I have to buy the UK or Australia import because it isn't available here any more. Meanwhile researchers have developed a 200TB optical disk: Researchers demonstrate 3D nanoscale optical disk memory with petabit capacity
Buy to rip and put on the Plex Server. I've always liked the idea of having personal on demand digital access to my media. I did recently box up the DVDs.

My general rule is to not buy consecutive media progressions, IE no 4K if I have blu-ray. I luckily didn't have a ton of cassettes, as I straddled CD and cassettes. CDs are still viable media, though it is transitioning away. As is most physical media it seems, at least for video.

Reactions: ncted
I was looking for a particular disc that I wanted in 4k last week. Went into Best Buy for the first time in a year and discovered that they had totally discontinued all media sales. No DVDs, no CDs. Target had a VERY small selection, as did WalMart, maybe 20 titles each.
That is what Amazon is for, but once Target/Walmart finally decides to get rid of the few they have (after the holidays is my guess), it will rapidly go downhill from there.

As I have written before, how we receive and buy entertainment has been changing for the last 70 years, just in the last 50, we have had tapes, laser discs, then the smaller discs (DVD, BR, 4K BR), now streaming.

Nothing stays the same, 5 more years, everything will be different, streaming will be everyone’s primary form for receiving everything.

Buy to rip and put on the Plex Server. I've always liked the idea of having personal on demand digital access to my media. I did recently box up the DVDs.

My general rule is to not buy consecutive media progressions, IE no 4K if I have blu-ray. I luckily didn't have a ton of cassettes, as I straddled CD and cassettes. CDs are still viable media, though it is transitioning away. As is most physical media it seems, at least for video.
Yeah, I have all my physical media ripped to a Jellyfin server for easy access.

Reactions: Yespage

HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Paramount +