Looks like Physical Movie Rental are almost gone

Another step towards the end of physical media-

that Sony will “gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs.”

I still buy 4K Discs, but unfortunately, I give the format about 5 years of life left, by then, everyone will be able to stream thanks to new options, like Amazon’s Satellite Broadband for one example.

Another step towards the end of physical media-

that Sony will “gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs.”

I still buy 4K Discs, but unfortunately, I give the format about 5 years of life left, by then, everyone will be able to stream thanks to new options, like Amazon’s Satellite Broadband for one example.

I never got into buying physical media, it always seemed like a waste of money. Never bought a VHS movie or DVD, but did buy some music CDs and always felt like I was ripped off and never got my money's worth for at least half of what I bought. I sold my CD collection off in 2002 when used CD stores were still buying them and never looked back. I still own like 6 CDs and the only way I have to play them is an external DVD drive I'd need to plug into a computer. Green Day Dookie is one of them, my first CD I ever bought.

I also sold off or gave away all my physical media. The stuff I cared about is stored in legit cloud services. It makes me nervous not having physical copies of everything, but I figure if the cloud infrastructure blows up for some reason, we will have bigger worries than not having access to movies and music.

Reactions: AZ. and dishdude
I also sold off or gave away all my physical media. The stuff I cared about is stored in legit cloud services. It makes me nervous not having physical copies of everything, but I figure if the cloud infrastructure blows up for some reason, we will have bigger worries than not having access to movies and music.

We still have ours! ;)

I never got into buying physical media, it always seemed like a waste of money. Never bought a VHS movie or DVD, but did buy some music CDs and always felt like I was ripped off and never got my money's worth for at least half of what I bought. I sold my CD collection off in 2002 when used CD stores were still buying them and never looked back. I still own like 6 CDs and the only way I have to play them is an external DVD drive I'd need to plug into a computer. Green Day Dookie is one of them, my first CD I ever bought.
Unfortunately I have DVD collection going back to the 90s sitting in my office and I bought a few Blu Rays but found them too high to pay for. My old Blu Ray player had to be replaced last year. Some of my favorite movies are on dvds.

I just threw out my old Cassette music tape collection from the 80s and 90s from when I was in my 20s and early 30s. The old cassette player radio boom box died and I threw it out too. I gave up my music albums that I had from the 70s and early 80s too. I also have a lot of CDs sitting in a cabinet in the bedroom that I haven't listened to since 2017. I probably should eliminate them too. I hate that I spent all that money on technology that is no longer usable.

Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger