Looks like Physical Movie Rental are almost gone

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
The last main one, Redbox, is having Revenue issues due to not enough people renting disc anymore.

They put themselves up for sale last October, no takers.

By the way, I still do purchase some movies on 4K Disc, be sad to see it go, but technology moves forward.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
PS- who's spell checking AI??

IMG_4447.jpeg

The last main one, Redbox, is having Revenue issues due to not enough people renting disc anymore.

They put themselves up for sale last October, no takers.

By the way, I still do purchase some movies on 4K Disc, be sad to see it go, but technology moves forward.

Almost dead-

In the latest sign of trouble for Redbox parent Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment, the company’s employees say they have not been paid in nearly a week and their medical benefits have been suspended.

Eight current workers, all of whom wished to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, provided Deadline with a glimpse inside the struggling company, supporting their assertions with a raft of internal emails. A number of frustrated workers have also started to vent in Reddit forums and across social media.

One senior executive said no updates about the status of pay have been provided since last Friday, when workers were warned that direct deposit would hit over the weekend or on Monday instead of the scheduled time on Friday. “We haven’t heard anything over the past couple of days,” the senior executive told Deadline. “Initially, they said checks would go out Tuesday at the latest. And now here we are.”

After several days without word from CEO Bill Rouhana, after initial publication of this article Wednesday evening, he emailed employees but not with any definitive news about the payroll or benefits. Acknowledging that the limbo state “has caused incredible frustration and anxiety,” he said he and members of the management team have been “working nonstop” to close a financing arrangement that will allow cash to resume flowing. They “hope” to fund the delinquent payroll by Monday, Rouhana said, promising an update by Friday, with benefits “expected” to be reinstated in two weeks.

Or, keep delaying to keep the employees on until they file for Chapter 7.

Based on this, no way Chapter 11 will work, they basically have no future-

In an SEC filing earlier this month, the company said its net losses widened to $636.6 million in 2023 from $111.2 million in the prior year. A failure to secure additional financing, the company said, “will likely require us to diminish or halt operations and seek protection under applicable bankruptcy laws.”

The stock closed Wednesday at just 21 cents

Still have one in front of our Walgreens, see people there often enough. My guess if you have limited internet, those places will still flourish?

Still have one in front of our Walgreens, see people there often enough. My guess if you have limited internet, those places will still flourish?
More like maybe limp by. If they can barely make payroll this week, what of the future?

What is their streaming service? Redbox? Crackel?

Years back we used to love Redbox and rented there a lot. As time went by and we tried to rent movies there they never had copies available of new titles that had been released - maybe too many slots filled up with the game rentals they did back then? Stopped renting there for several years.

Recently we tried them again and reserved a movie online for pickup. The machine did not work when we got there and we had to call for a refund as our card had already been charged. Not very good service! :(

There was one at our local Walgreens, but since I never rent physical media, I have no idea if its used often or not.

IF I had to guess, I would say not. The town has gig cable available, and the power company ran fiber to every house with a meter in the last year or two, so everyone has fast internet in the county.

I don’t use them, but will miss them. Maybe a HUGE sale is coming!

I expect the failure to pay wages has the attention of many government entities.

I hope so. I'm also concerned about the suspension of medical benefits. If they have over 50 employees, they're required by law to provide health insurance.
If they are having that much trouble, doubtful they care, it is a obvious Chapter 7 incoming.

And they filed Chapter 11…..good luck with that.
The company relayed news of the Delaware court filing in a message to employees in the early hours of Saturday.

“Overnight we filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection,” the message said. “In connection with the filing, we have applied for approval of a debtor in possession [DIP] loan. Upon court approval, we expect payroll to be funded early in the week and funding for this upcoming week’s payroll to also be secured. We also expect to have the funds to reinstate medical benefits back to May 14, 2024 and going forward. We will provide regular updates.”

It will now be up to a Delaware bankruptcy court to determine how the company moves forward and whether it can come out on the other side.

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA and navychop

HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger