Is this for real?

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I am a brand new subscriber to Dish. According to the program guide, Dish Network now offers about 20 music stations that are supplied in monaural sound? I haven't listened to mono music since the late 50s

Who would listen to music in lo-fi MONO in this era of Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and HD?

What am I missing here? Is this for real?

Depending on your level of subscription, Dish has 3 different music offerings. The mono packge came out a few years back and I believe it came to them through an agreement with a provider that offers more than music. The original package is and has always been stereo and rivals CD quality. More recently, they added the Sirius music package which is also CD quality.

I remember when they turned on the mono package that I liked one particular channel. I wanted it in stereo. I emailed them about it. They told me that the mono package would never be converted to stereo.

All in all, I have so many music channels, all 3 offered, that I really don't care about the mono channels. Dish is required to have it on the system and if no one listens, oh well. Think of it like the TV Guide channel that was recently turned on.

mitchflorida said:
Who would listen to music in lo-fi MONO in this era of Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and HD?
I have stereo sound and enjoy it.
I have Dolby Digital 5.1 and love it.
I don't have HD and am missing out.
I have mono. Don't knock it. It's very relaxing.

But really, there may be some that like it. I don't know, like those that say an old record sounds better than any CD. :)

The mono channels are from Muzak, these were mainly for commercial customers of Muzak (Muzak gets their feed from the same satellites we do) and are programed in mono. I few years ago E* and Muzak agreed to add these channels to Dish Network customers at no additional charge. BTW, when we install commercial sound it works better when the system is mono except for some places that go with high end systems.

Yep, the elevator only has one speaker in it. The produce aisle has multiple speakers but they are just in parallel. No need for stereo from Muzak.

Another thing that many people fail to include is that the mono channels also have very limited dynamic range by design. These channels are designed to be played in commercial establishments like restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. The whole idea is to have a mental wallpaper. With dynamic range limited, there are no loud passages or soft inaudible passages in music; just a background pallet to set the mood. These are not channels that are designed to be "listened to". These are channels designed to be unnoticeable by the listener. Mental Wallpaper.

See ya
Tony

Well, interestingly enough, all of the new DISH sales literature makes NO mention anymore of ANY of the Muzak stations. (stereo OR mono) Since E* is pushing Sirius music & their partnership with them, I see the Muzak stuff eventually going bye bye. (at least as far as for residential subs anyway)

dishrich said:
Well, interestingly enough, all of the new DISH sales literature makes NO mention anymore of ANY of the Muzak stations. (stereo OR mono) Since E* is pushing Sirius music & their partnership with them, I see the Muzak stuff eventually going bye bye. (at least as far as for residential subs anyway)

If Dish Network drops the monaural Muzak stations, what will I listen to when I am going up and down in my elevator? A lot of dentists are going to be angry too!

Can't select which tuner to record to?!

811 OTA Black Screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)