Is RG6 Wire RG6 Wire?

techdood said:
I've found compression fittings to work better to keep the water from penetrating into the center conductor. This is especially true to those cable runs that carry power to a device. I've used crimps on some plates that were on on the insides of exterior walls, only to find 2 years later that I needed to replace them. all of them.

Yes, I'd agree. As a professional, I now use compression fittings exclusively. The price has come down on both the connectors, the stripper and the compression tool. I'd get an all in one kit, like these Snap-N-Seals, which are the standard of the industry;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5760340705&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I just can't afford the time and expense of a service call, just to replace a connector. Do it once! Do it right!

Barry Erick said:
Yes, I have a reason. We have pictures at work of squirells eating throgh plain RG6 taking our NBC network down witin 4 years of install. The replacement was quad shielded and that has lasted over 15 years.
I think maybe the squirrels simply left. Rodents can cheew through QS same as anything else - just takes them longer to kill the signal.

Anyway - I got the answer I was looking for - VHF/UHF backfeeds. The analog signals need more protection than good solid digital ones. ;)

Thanks guys!

Mike500 said:
Yes, I'd agree. As a professional, I now use compression fittings exclusively. The price has come down on both the connectors, the stripper and the compression tool. I'd get an all in one kit, like these Snap-N-Seals, which are the standard of the industry;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5760340705&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I just can't afford the time and expense of a service call, just to replace a connector. Do it once! Do it right!

I used Snap-N-Seal on my last install of about 750' very nice connectors. Also talking about Quad-shield. The Belden Tri-shield is suppose to work as good and you can use standard connectors on it. Also when running a lot of cable runs with lengths around 100' Quad is harder to work with than the tri.

I bought the cheaper R6 stuff you are referring to at home depot last year for my dishpro install. Ran new lines myself to all receivers. That includes 2 lines to the 721 and lines to the 508's. My biggest thing in advice to you is to make sure your ends are properly crimpped and you are good.

I have no problems out of any of my receivers.

DishPlayer 942 is (NOT) out!

Weird remote problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts