Is HD available on the 3LNB Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

auburngadawg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
I recently moved from the Atlanta metro area to the DC metro area and had the 5 LNB dish in Georgia. However, I'm worried the 5 LNB is too heavy to mount on the porch railing (I live on the 3rd floor), especially since the dish needs to be about 3 feet out from the railing to get signal. Right now, I have my old round dual-lnb dish and no HD except over the air and when I called D* about getting the 3LNB dish since it was lighter, the CSR informed me that the 3LNB dish does not received hi-def. programming? Is he right? Please help. Thanks.

The PhaseIII dish will get all the HD programming except the MPEG4 HD which would be your local affiliates & RSN in HD.

The 3lnb will receive the HD programming that resides on the satellites it picks up from the 101, 110 and 119, it will not be able to get the HD mpeg-4 locals, the AT9 is needed in order see the other two satellites, also you need a new receiver such as the H20 or HR20 to be able to get the mpeg4 HD locals.

Edit: charper beat me again, ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I already have the H20-600 from having my old 5LNB... will this receiver work with the 3LNB?

I do not have one, nor have I read about anyone needing to do this, but I would assume it would be backward compatible and receive all the MPEG2 programming just fine. If it isn't backward compatible with the older dish user will chime in ASAP.

auburngadawg said:
I recently moved from the Atlanta metro area to the DC metro area and had the 5 LNB dish in Georgia. However, I'm worried the 5 LNB is too heavy to mount on the porch railing (I live on the 3rd floor), especially since the dish needs to be about 3 feet out from the railing to get signal. Right now, I have my old round dual-lnb dish and no HD except over the air and when I called D* about getting the 3LNB dish since it was lighter, the CSR informed me that the 3LNB dish does not received hi-def. programming? Is he right? Please help. Thanks.
Are you in a balcony situation ?
If the balcony is large enough, you could mount the 5 lnb in the proverbial concrete bucket in order to avoid the porch railing.

Jimbo

You people rock! Thanks for the help...now the fun is convincing the D* CSR that the 3LNB does receive HD and get them to send it to me.

auburngadawg said:
You people rock! Thanks for the help...now the fun is convincing the D* CSR that the 3LNB does receive HD and get them to send it to me.
If you have trouble, let me know, I have at least 2 sitting around here that I am not using .....

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Are you in a balcony situation ?
If the balcony is large enough, you could mount the 5 lnb in the proverbial concrete bucket in order to avoid the porch railing.

Jimbo
I am in a balcony situation and I made a pole in concrete bucket mount before I moved. The problem is my building is parallel to the line of site. I went through 5 installers who all said I could not get signal before I had my family members in Georgia go to my house, remove both of my dishes (5LNB and round) and ship them to me on my father's company's truck. The round dish currently sticks out 3-3.5' using a rig I built. I'm not sure I could do the same with the 5LNB since using the post in concrete would require another 4-5" to reach the location.

Jimbos said:
If you have trouble, let me know, I have at least 2 sitting around here that I am not using .....

Jimbo
I will...thanks for the offer. By the way, best of luck to your Buckeyes. I myself am a UGA fan.

auburngadawg said:
I am in a balcony situation and I made a pole in concrete bucket mount before I moved. The problem is my building is parallel to the line of site. I went through 5 installers who all said I could not get signal before I had my family members in Georgia go to my house, remove both of my dishes (5LNB and round) and ship them to me on my father's company's truck. The round dish currently sticks out 3-3.5' using a rig I built. I'm not sure I could do the same with the 5LNB since using the post in concrete would require another 4-5" to reach the location.

I live in the dc area - I just had my 4 lnb dish not even a week old, removed and had a 5 lnb installed - I baught the 4 lnb which is HD ready except for the local's. I paid $59.00 + shipping from BBuy for it - I am willing to sell it for less money of course - I live in the gaithersburg md area if you are interested email me motsco@comcast.net

lmk
Mots-a

Status
Please reply by conversation.

D11-500 Caller ID ???

Two TVs on One Dish? Help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)