IPro/Metron Are they shutting their doors???

Doctor Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Riverside, California
Is there anybody out there, that would like to share information on the latest Rumor about the Satellite Industry???

Rumor has it, that Bob Crabtree had a falling out with E* and they decided to close their doors... This all started Friday afternoon, when one of the CSR's told an installer, that they had received "Pink Slips" and were told to start collecting un-employment!!!

Can anybody out there shed any light on the subject???

Hey Doc,

Good to have you here.

I heard something about this this morning and wasnt sure it was about. I know a number or RSP's are about the end their relationships with Dish at the first of the year.

Can anyone fill in some info? (Ir send it to me if you don't want to be identified) ;)

D* & E* want to control everything, so it is no big surprise that there is so much turmoil in this Industry...

What is sad, is that there are hundreds of Quality Technicians suffering because of their greed...

It is a shame that there are many quality technicians out there not directly employed by Dish and Direct, but the problem is that for every 1 good tech there are a dozen bad techs and thats what is hurting rsp's, subs, ect ect. Through our management area here in south east michigan the subs are in the negative more often than not and thats a problem because theyr numbers reflect on our overall numbers. Dish is in my opinion from what Ive been seeing since late 02 wants to go as far into all inhouse work as is possible for them to do and it looks like direct is starting to follow suit as we have been seeing directv installation vans here in the detroit area that arent like the typical "Alakazams house of satellite" on the side.

CSR's from dish arent going to know wether a rsp or sub has been removed from contractual service, heck most still ask if the customer wants theyr fries supesized with theyr order, If I were you I would try to make direct contact with Bob and get the poop straight from the horse.

Welcome to the forums my friend.

Geez Van, I thought that the numbers were lower than than... I understood that 1 for 7 Bad installers in the HSP's and RSP's... Wow, I didn't think they had that many bad installers...

Well, think of it this way Van, eventually the Government will slap D* & E* for conspiring to take over the industries Installations, and when that happens, then and only then will they stop this insanity.... RONTGLMAO...

THe answer is very simple, if the middleman has not taking over half of the installation money from the installation, there will not many bad installs. When you can do the best quality work and only limited to two or three installs a day and there is REALLY NO CUT OUT ON THE PAY, I remembered few years back I was still DTV DEALER. with the single receiver, I can made around $300.00 with sales and installation after cost, plus the small amount of commission from each account.

Back to the topic, if two installation a day that now you need to do four or five installs to catch up to the same pay, how you will see the work can be quality.

With the install price further lower, you guy will see more low quality materials on an install.

Hey Sing,

Most of us shut off the "Fulfillment" Companies, two years ago... We are now doing Custom Install work, as well as commercial work...

Hope you are finding the kind of work that you like, and can make some money at, because you are right!!!

Good Luck out there in Texas!!!

From 9/20/05 edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel

Metron's closure called preventable
Consulting firm official says turnaround plan was ready but rejected

By LARISA BRASS AND REBECCA FERRAR, brass@knews.com; ferrarr@knews.com
September 20, 2005

Metron North America's abrupt closure last week could have been prevented, according to a management-consulting firm hired by Metron's bank to analyze the troubled company's operations.
Metron, an electronics distributor with headquarters in Knoxville, rejected a turnaround plan proposed by Nashville-based Delta Partners this summer, Michael Garrison, Delta Partners' president and CEO, said Monday.

Advertisement

Metron closed its doors Friday, leaving about 200 workers stunned and jobless.

The company provided distribution services, information technology, sales and other support functions to companies primarily in the electronics business. The company lost its biggest customer, DirecTV, last winter.

Garrison said Delta Partners was brought in by Metron North America's bank, SunTrust, in July to assess the company and craft a recovery plan.

"The typical process is that once an assessment is completed and we move into the turnaround phase, then we move into (implementing) the turnaround plan," he said. "We were there for the better part of the month of July. We were informed fully on August 3 that we would not be engaged by the company to implement the turnaround plan."

Garrison said because of confidentiality agreements he could not disclose what Delta Partners discovered in the assessment or the reasons Metron chose not to go forward with the plan.

But he called the company's move "highly unusual" and said Metron is the first Delta Partners client to reject a turnaround proposal.

When asked if he believed the company could have been spared closure had the plan been accepted, Garrison said, "Yes I do. It was a viable and achievable turnaround plan."

Metron CEO Bob Crabtree declined to comment Monday.

Additional questions arose Monday regarding Metron management's assertion that executives learned the company would close just hours before they told workers Friday.

Final paychecks distributed Friday to employees were dated Thursday, Sept. 15. They were for the pay period ended Saturday, Sept. 17, and weren't expected until Sept. 22, workers said, since they're paid every two weeks and had their last payday Sept. 8.

The company that handled Metron's checks e-mailed a direct-deposit notification to workers Thursday, which Metron said was sent in error.

Dark Monday
Employees who weren't at work Friday arrived Monday to pick up their final paychecks, expressing displeasure that they had to learn about the closure from co-workers.

"(Company officials) did not call us or nothing," said Robin Marrow, 41, a recruiter for subcontractors. She learned she was out of work when a co-worker called about 7 p.m. Friday.

"That's what made me mad about the whole deal. There was no notice. They knew this was happening."

Workers said they've heard rumors for some time that the company was in trouble.

"We saw it coming," said Leann Lunsford, 24, a quality process analyst. "It's been like this over a year. They had layoffs in December and were cutting back in the company. It is hard to take. We have really good friends here."

Salesman Mark Larue, 40, said he already had been laid off effective Sept. 30 and was not surprised by the closure.

"I pretty well knew it was a good possibility," he said. "When we lost the DirecTV contract, there wasn't a lot to do after that. I don't think they had any choice. I don't have any grudge against the owners. I earned a good living."

Larue said he has another sales job lined up.

Others aren't so fortunate.

Jan Moulden, 29, is a single mother who worked part time at Metron and attended South College full-time. She said she wasn't sure where she could find another job with flexible hours to allow her to go to school.

"I'm here to get my last paycheck and my belongings," Moulden said Monday. "I think they held back information. It's been awhile that rumors have been going around about closing. But they kept reassuring us we would have our jobs. Then, 'boom,' I got a call from a co-worker saying we don't have a job anymore."

Workers received no severance pay.

"I'm the breadwinner in my family," said Tom Skibinski, 28, who worked in the call center and was "a little bit shocked" at the abrupt closure. He is married with two children.

"I'll have to go out and get another job. It's not easy, but you have to keep on going."

Erika Andra, a communications editor, has put resumes out and has a side business preparing resumes. She brought information to Metron's headquarters Monday for interested workers.

"I'm offering half-off for anyone displaced," she said.

Taken by surprise
Local officials expressed surprise at Metron's shutdown but said the region was ready to absorb the job loss and fill the building space it's vacating.

Large companies are required to provide a 60-day layoff notice to the state prior to a layoff. Metron did not notify the state, although the law provides exceptions for certain reasons - for instance, if layoffs are not "reasonably foreseen."

Metron was headquartered in the former Albers Drug building on Kingston Pike near Tyson Park. The company also operated a local distribution center in Clinton that, at last report, employed about 60 people.

"We were as surprised as anybody else," said Rhonda Rice, executive vice president at the Knoxville Area Chamber Partnership. Although she took note when the company lost its DirecTV contract and laid off about 40 people, "based on what they told us at that time was that they had other contracts and other forms of business that they were working on," Rice said.

Mike Edwards, president and CEO of the chamber partnership, said as of Monday afternoon two companies interested in Metron's Knoxville building and displaced work force had contacted the partnership.

"We're going to absorb the space. We're going to absorb the jobs," he said.

Edwards said the company never qualified for a Knox County tax incentive program connected to a $12 million expansion of its call center last year because it did not deliver on promised new jobs.

Tim Thompson, president of the Melton Hill Regional Industrial Association, said he got no word the company was going out of business and did not know what would become of the building it occupied near Norris. He said Metron was leasing the space from local developer Joe Hollingsworth.

In February the industrial development board approved a seven-year, 50-percent tax abatement connected to Metron's plans to add employees at its new Anderson County facility, a 124,500-square-foot building that opened in 2004. The IDB held title to Metron's equipment in exchange for in-lieu-of-tax payments, but IDB lawyer Phil Crye said he believed a lien was in place on the equipment, which would likely be enforced now that the company is gone.

"We're ready to market (the building) when they're ready," Thompson said, adding that a "big demand" exists for leased space in the county.

"It's not like we've got 20 empty buildings and here's another one right now," said Anderson County Mayor Rex Lynch. "I'm very confident we'll be able to get someone else."

Metron continues to share warehouse space with local charity Mission of Hope, which is using the company's warehouse to store donated goods for children.

"The Metron owners and employees have been longtime supporters of Hope," said Emmette Thompson, Mission of Hope executive director. "I don't know right now what the exact status is going to be with us there."

Business writer Larisa Brass may be reached at 865-342-6318 and business writer Rebecca Ferrar may be reached at 865-342-6357.

The Big Bad Wolf

I want to set the record straight about who is the bad guy, here, because it sure isn't Metron.

When D* cancelled its contract with Metron, without warning and nine months before the contract was to expire, they had no reason - admitted they had no reason. They simply wanted Metron's share of the satellite pie. After D* severed the relationship with Metron, Metron approached E* to start negotionations. Mind you, the contract was OVER, according to D*, and D* knew Metron relied heavily on that revenue to keep over 300 people employed, yet when D* found out Metron was talking to E*, D* simply did not want Metron to build up E* the way Metron built up D* over the years. D* refused to pay Metron for all of fourth quarter of last year! For work already done! Metron absorbed all those costs and made sure all the installers got paid the whole time. Metron also filed a lawsuit against D*, which we all know is fruitless because the whole world is suing D* but they'll never see a dime.

Metron signed a contract with E* recently - it was to be a very good deal for all parties involved - especially installers. Unfortunately, it was too late. Other clients had gotten wind of how financially troubled Metron was because of D* and the length of time it took to negotiate with E* and started pulling contracts. The already very fragile system collapsed quickly.

So despite what some rogue installers are saying on other sites, Metron and InstallationPro were good companies that believed in their installers, held all installers to a much higher level of quality that other companies, paid on time, and worked very hard to make it happen.

And to my last days, I will tell everyone I ever come in contact with to never buy D* because it is run by greedy, selfish, uncaring monsters who make installers do more and more for less and less. They are no better than textile companies who open plants in third-world countries to make small children work 12-hour days for 15 cents.

What little Ive heard of Metron in the past has never been bad, it is a shame that so many people have lost theyr jobs this way and a greater shame that it wasnt handled better by the management. As for what D did I wouldnt be surprised to see D fleet vans popping in that area as has been showing up here in the metro detroit area.

Sorry that you had to go thru all that you did with the loss of Metron, TivoGirl...

But as you can see, by this article below, (go to the Knoxville News as this site will not allow URL's to be put on it) this was preventable... I also did work for Metron, and shut them off when they started lying to us about our pay... We had to re-fax work orders 4 & 5 times, when they said that they had not received our paperwork!!! They also Lied about several other things that as a so called "Christian Company" they didn't even have to lie about...

PS: No love loss here for D* either!!! They are Wolves in Sheep's clothing!!! LOL

Metron's closure called preventable
Knoxville News Sentinel (subscription) - Knoxville,TN,USA
Metron North America's abrupt closure last week could have been prevented, according to a management-consulting firm hired by Metron's bank to analyze the ...
See all stories on this topic

new channels coming on adelphia

FIOS in apartments for Pinellas County:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)