In the middle of two big cities, local channel choice?

lanoit

Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I live in Huntsville, Alabama which is smack dab in the middle of Birmingham and Nashville. While Huntsville offers local channels, they don't offer WB and UPN. Rather than purchase the superstations monthly, I was wondering if I can pick up "local" channels from either Nashville or Birmingham which both have UPN and WB locally. I don't really care if I don't get my Huntsville locals.

Suggestions? Thanks!

You will not be able to get Bham or Nashville without "moving". You are stuck with Huntsville and adding the supers.

BTW, welcome to satellite guys.

Under SHIVA (the law originally allowing LIL) you can only receive the locals from the DMA in which you reside. SHERVA (recently passed law that re-authorizes LIL) contains language dealing with "significantly viewed stations" that will allow you to receive stations located outside of you DMA that meet certain criteria regarding viewership in your area once it goes into effect.

K R Kimmel said:
Under SHIVA (the law originally allowing LIL) you can only receive the locals from the DMA in which you reside. SHERVA (recently passed law that re-authorizes LIL) contains language dealing with "significantly viewed stations" that will allow you to receive stations located outside of you DMA that meet certain criteria regarding viewership in your area once it goes into effect.
Generally correct, though the initials are SHVERA, it isn't 100% passed yet (the President could sign it next week, but that's a formality), and it was required to re-authorize distants for another 5 years (the LIL provisions of SHVIA were permanent).

As a rule, if your cable system where you live in the Huntsville area carries UPN/WB from Birmingham or Nashville, then E* will be allowed to add that to your Huntsville package. If they carry it, the cable company had to get a "significantly viewed" determination from the FCC; under SHVERA, that will carry over to satellite customers in the area. Whenever they're available, you MUST subscribe to the Huntsville LIL package to get these stations.

Technically, they could do it as soon as SHVERA is signed. However, there are two specific actions E* may want to wait for:
  1. Within 60 days after SHVERA is signed, the FCC must publish a list of "significantly viewed" determinations it has made over the years. Though this part isn't specifically required immediately, SHVERA does require the FCC to post this list on its website and update it within 10 business days after any new determination. Until then, the only way for carriers to legally be sure they can do it is to research the FCC archives themselves, which would probably take at least 60 days to complete for all markets; so don't expect it for at least 60 days, regardless.
  2. The law does require the FCC to write implementing rules within one year of passage, including determinations as to whether or not the "network nonduplication" and "syndex" rules will apply to satellite. Offerings of duplicate network stations will probably be delayed for this rulemaking, but except for "syndex" (which few syndication agreements allow for anymore), I don't see where that would block importing stations from neighboring markets where there is no local network station (as with UPN and WB in Huntsville). If they didn't intend for "significantly viewed" to be available before the rulemaking, then why must the FCC publish the list within 60 days of passage?
Bottom line: Unless you have another reason to "move", don't do it just to get UPN/WB. It's illegal (though most get away with it as long as there's not a dish where you "move" to), you'll lose your Huntsville locals (and with it your chance to legally get UPN/WB from neighboring markets within a year), and if the Birmingham or Nashville spotbeams don't reach you in Huntsville, it won't work. You can always drop the superstations when they add UPN/WB in Huntsville.

Also, is there a low-power UPN and/or WB affiliate in Huntsville? If so, SHVERA has other new provisions that encourage (though they don't require) the addition of low-power stations in LIL markets. Adding UPN/WB low-powers is probably the first place that new law would be invoked.

lanoit

Why not use an OTA antenna and get them for free? Depending on how far away you are, you may get them with an indoor antenna.

The original poster must have Dish Network. DirecTV offers WHDF, the Huntsville UPN, as well as WAWB, which I believe is a digital sub channel off of the local Huntsville FOX station.

hate to burst your bubble.. but I'm going to bet that 'significantly viewed" will be a la carte. Can you say $1.99 per channel?

bcshields said:
hate to burst your bubble.. but I'm going to bet that 'significantly viewed" will be a la carte. Can you say $1.99 per channel?

That may or may not be but if it is I suspect they will be a $1.50/mo, the same as "a la carte" distant nets now. What I suspect will happen is that if a "significantly viewed" channel fills a network void in a dma it will be included for no charge (for example if a dma has no NBC but a neighboring dma does and it qulifies for "significantly viewed", it will be included in locals package at no additional charge), however if a local dma has a full slate of network channels and also qulifys for a full slate of network channels under "significantly viewed", those markes may need to pay a full additional $5.99/mo to get them or $1.50/mo each if you only want or qulify for 1 or 2 or 3 of them (for example, subs who live between DC and Baltimore, in DC's dma but qulifys for all Baltimore local channels under "significantly viewed", they would have the option of adding Baltimore locals for an additional $5.99/mo).

Birmingham and Nashville are on spotbeams so you may or may not be able to move to get them, you may want to consider Atlanta instead because all of their major channels including WB, UPN and GPB-PBS are on a National beam and do not require a 2nd dish, if you are willing to pute up a 2nd dish at your own expense you will also receive the local WTBS-17, another PBS and a local Univision channel.

I run into the the same problem living 1 city block from the Wi border. I want to recieve the Madison local channel instead of the Rockford, IL. Main reason is for watching NFL games. Thus i have to have basic cable hooked up.

TV Card and Dishnetwork?

921 From Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)