I'm tired of the H3 audio cutouts.

Are you using just TV speakers? If so simply turn Dolby off and see if that corrects your issue. What brand and model is the TV your Hopper is hooked up to?
Are you using HDMI eARC to get sound to your system? HDMI cables do fail depending on whether you selected active or passive cables. Try a new cable and let us know. It was that simple for me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Are you using HDMI eARC to get sound to your system? HDMI cables do fail depending on whether you selected active or passive cables. Try a new cable and let us know. It was that simple for me.
He already posted he using the TV Speakers, so we said turn Dolby off on the Hopper.

What was involved in this soft reset?
Sorry, the message board did not send me a notification of your post. The 'soft' reset was under the direction of Dish tech support. They talked me through it. It was not just the red button, nor a power disruption. I want to say it involved using the 'tools' menu, but I would not encourage experimentation without their guidance. But this was two or three years ago - don't know if the software is even the same. A 'hard' reset takes the H3 back to factory default settings/preferences, so beware.

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry, the message board did not send me a notification of your post. The 'soft' reset was under the direction of Dish tech support. They talked me through it. It was not just the red button, nor a power disruption. I want to say it involved using the 'tools' menu, but I would not encourage experimentation without their guidance. But this was two or three years ago - don't know if the software is even the same. A 'hard' reset takes the H3 back to factory default settings/preferences, so beware.
What you are talking about is through the tools menu. Press Home 3 times, go down to Tools, Go over to Reset Hopper and select it. IMHO this is no different than an unplug reset. If you have difficulty getting to the plug this is an excellent alternative. The hard reset you are talking about is in the same Tools menu
You should reconsider, as it is not accurate.
Accurate or not, we have used that terminology for over two decades to describe an unplug reset. I have used both the unplug and the Reset Hopper from the Tools menu many times and the start up of the Hopper is the same on both. There are times when issues won't allow you to get to the Tools menu so the unplug does the same thing. Now the Reset To Factory Defaults is a whole different thing.

There are three levels of rebooting a Hopper:

Most graceful is Tools menu "Reset Hopper" which initiates a reboot via software. (see windows: start:shutdown)
Less graceful is pushing the red button which invokes something in hardware. (maybe the exact same thing the menu option invokes)
Least graceful is the "power cord reboot" which definitely will get its attention.

The terminology "hard reset" can mean different things depending on the situation. Sometimes it's taken as "power cord reboot" but other times it might mean "reset to factory settings." Therefore, I prefer to avoid using "hard reset" entirely.

Self Rebooting Hopper

4K Events Discussion Thread