I'm tired of the H3 audio cutouts.

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
I keep hoping a software update will solve the audio cutouts on my H3 but so far no joy. At latest three times a day for no reason I lose audio on all channels . The only solution is a restart. It's particularly frustrating when it happens during a program I am watching live. Please somebody fix this. Thank you.

Since this isn't a widespread issue, unless there's some problem with whatever device you're using for audio (TV/audio receiver/sound system/etc), your Hopper has some hardware issue. Try calling in and getting it replaced.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A couple of years back, I had frequent, temporary audio dropouts with my current H3, but not permanent. Dish had me do a SOFT reset, and the problem was gone and hasn't returned.

What was involved in this soft reset?
Open your little door on the front of the Hopper 3. Press the red button and the Hopper 3 will reboot. You could accomplish the same thing and maybe a bit more by simply unplugging your Hopper for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. The latter is a hard reset.

Open your little door on the front of the Hopper 3. Press the red button and the Hopper 3 will reboot. You could accomplish the same thing and maybe a bit more by simply unplugging your Hopper for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. The latter is a hard reset.
A red button reset is what I have used consistently since the dropouts started to no avail.

A red button reset is what I have used consistently since the dropouts started to no avail.
How about answer some more questions.

How is it hooked up.

Does the Hopper HDMI go into a Receiver or Sound Bar first, then out to the TV?

Does it go direct into the TV and you use the Television’s speakers?

Does it go into the TV first, then out to a Receiver/Sound Bar, using (e)ARC?

If so, what are the model# and year built of the TV and Sound System?

How about answer some more questions.

How is it hooked up.
App on H3 direct to TV input via HDMHDMI
Does the Hopper HDMI go into a Receiver or Sound Bar first, then out to the TV?
Direct to TV for picture and sound. Nothing fancy.
Does it go direct into the TV and you use the Television’s speakers?
Yes
Does it go into the TV first, then out to a Receiver/Sound Bar, using (e)ARC?
No.
If so, what are the model# and year built of the TV and Sound System?
6 YO Samsung 4K.

Yes to both.

Does the Hooper have sound options, for example, like Dolby Digital or Stereo?

If so, check what format is outputting.
The Hopper has sound options. It is Dolby Audio on or off. There is also Volume Leveling on and off.

Self Rebooting Hopper