I took the plunge - C Band on the way

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Well . . . I had an impulsive moment and ordered the 240cm C-band dish from Sadoun. It was hard to resist after Iceberg's purchase (No I'm not trying to one-up you Iceberg. I just had the real estate for the bigger dish and no HOA to deal with. )I hope it's big enough to protect me from the rain. I ordered it without speaking to the wife first. I plan to use my hard-earned bonus check for this project, but I may be living outside for a few days (or weeks) which is why I hope I can live under the dish and stay dry.

Anyway, looking at lyngsat, there appears to be several ITC channels on IA13. Can anyone tell me which of these channels are still ITC? Since most of the channels are listed as DVB, I assume my Traxis 2500 will do the trick for now. I may jump to a 4DTV receiver in the future (which is why I went with the 8 foot dish) to get a sports package. I don't subscribe to cable, Dish Network or DircecTV, so this is my only form of TV entertainment. In order to get Monday Night Football this year, I may purchase an ESPN alacarte package from SkyVision.

I'll keep you posted on my adventure.

rjc3895 said:
Anyway, looking at lyngsat, there appears to be several ITC channels on IA13. Can anyone tell me which of these channels are still ITC? Since most of the channels are listed as DVB, I assume my Traxis 2500 will do the trick for now. I may jump to a 4DTV receiver in the future (which is why I went with the 8 foot dish) to get a sports package.
I have 19 channels programmed in. America One being the most watched. When you get your 4dtv and get it authorized, you'll be able to get B-mania Movie service from this sat.

Al

wait a minute...I just reread your post

No I'm not trying to one-up you Iceberg. I just had the real estate for the bigger dish and no HOA to deal with

-you have the real estate
-no HOA

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG???? :D

Iceberg said:
wait a minute...I just reread your post

-you have the real estate
-no HOA

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG???? :D

Finding the cash to justify the expense :D I've been search for a mesh dish, but the ones I have come across are actually being used!

same here....and the ones that arent being used are so banged up it would cost me mucho $$ to fix

Here's a follow-up question. Since this dish must be moved manually at this point, can anyone recommend a good satellite to be pointing to on a regular basis?

If someone comes across a good find in the WUT forum, I would move the dish, but I am looking for mostly English speaking channels. I don't need a lot of the religious programs because I get those on Sky Angel. Any suggestions?

From my location, I can see from 58W degrees to 123W degrees with my 30" KU dish. I'm sure with a little tweaking I canget beyond 123 degrees.

Iceberg said:
same here....and the ones that arent being used are so banged up it would cost me mucho $$ to fix

Get one of the banged up dish for the polar mount & motor & feed horn / LNB / polorotor .

Wyr

Iceberg said:
Since Katrina I've come across a couple of mesh BUDs out for the trash. In each case they were either rusted very badly or had bent or missing mesh panels. One of these days I'll work up the nerve to go knock on doors, for both the BUDs and a couple of Primestars. Politely of course :D

Tron said:
Since Katrina I've come across a couple of mesh BUDs out for the trash. In each case they were either rusted very badly or had bent or missing mesh panels. One of these days I'll work up the nerve to go knock on doors, for both the BUDs and a couple of Primestars. Politely of course :D

Grab them . Mesh panels can be replaced with fly screen or hail cloth .

Or salvage what you can for parts .

Check out FreeCycle , kind of an internet classified for things people are giving away and things people need . That is how I scrounged 3 dishes .

Wyr

rjc3895 said:
Here's a follow-up question. Since this dish must be moved manually at this point, can anyone recommend a good satellite to be pointing to on a regular basis?

I usually hang around AMC3 because of TVU, but since you are already getting that with your SA package I might recommend AMC1. KEEN and KTLN play Little House on the Prarie at night, but I don't know what else they play. The paxson networks there play shows like Diagnosis Murder, Doc, and Early Edition. Plus, there's DW in case you know some German, ja.

Do those dishes accept a polar mount? (edit: without any extensive modification?)

Das Hammer said:
I usually hang around AMC3 because of TVU, but since you are already getting that with your SA package I might recommend AMC1. KEEN and KTLN play Little House on the Prarie at night, but I don't know what else they play. The paxson networks there play shows like Diagnosis Murder, Doc, and Early Edition. Plus, there's DW in case you know some German, ja.

Do those dishes accept a polar mount? (edit: without any extensive modification?)

Sky Angel also has GTN (Guardian Television Network) out of Ohio. I get to watch the Cleveland Cavs play. GTN was formally a PAX station and still carries most of the PAX programming. I watch the A-Team every night :D. I bought the Sky Angel lifetime membership almost 8 years ago. I think Sky Angel added some value by adding the Hallmark Channels, Home and Garden, and Fox News, which has been discsussed in the SA forum (both for and against). Without these additional channels, the C-band dish can get just about everything that SA offered.

As for speraking German, I can still count in German, but I'm afraid I've lost most of my skills from my 2 years of German classes in high school. :)

According to Sadoun's information, it appears that a polar mount is possible, but it comes with a ground mount. Moving an 8ft dish by hand may get old real quick. I'm thinking about adding a 4DTV receiver in the fall to pick up ESPN ala carte for Monday Night football. As stranges as this may sound, I would rather pay a little more for channels that I watch than to pay Dish Network, Direct Tv and Cable for channels that I will never watch nor do I want my children watching. I am a big proponent of ala carte TV. Let me choose what I want.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound strange at all, bro. I got sick of doing the same thing so I put up a 10 footer last year and love paying less than $20 a month for stuff I will actually watch. Combine that with an FTA box to add even more channels and it's the best value around.

Now, Skyvision (and other programming providers) I think will make you pick at least 5 a la carte if you are not ordering a package. Might be worth your while (cheaper) to subscribe to their X4 sports pack and then tack on ESPN as a single a la carte. Pop a C/Ku feedhorn on that dish or have a separate one for Ku and you're good to go. (You WILL need a 4D for the X4 sports since they are DCII). EPG information is on G1 though, so if you want to use the guide (and get software updates if there are any more) you'll need to be on every night (guide is updated nightly).

Been able to catch some college Bball games on G3 in the clear and ABC had the Lakers backhaul on T5 yesterday in the clear. You'll miss out big time if you don't get that thing a movin'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RCA Dish & Lnb On G10r

Now's a good time to try AO-51

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)