I am so lost. Please help me decide on phone.

I really appreciate the feedback. Here's what I've gleaned from the net with my research.

Galaxy SIII

Advantages over Razr MAXX
  • Higher rez screen (720 x 1280 vs. Razr's 540 x 960. Is this noticeable given the screen size?)
  • S-Voice (Not sure I'd ever use it, but may be a fun gimmick.)
  • Faster Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Gyroscope (and accelerometer vs. Razr which only has accelerometer).
  • Removable Battery

RAZR MAXX

Advantages over Galaxy S III
  • Durability, splash resistant, dust proof
  • Longer battery life (We charge our phones daily, not sure 24 hr battery life would be noticed)

So, is my data correct? Anything I'm missing?

Apparently there's some difference where the Razr's web browser supports word wrap while the Galaxy's doesn't, but there are discrepancies on the web.

Additionally, from Verizon, the Galaxy is only available in white or blue. I would have preferred black, but I don't think I'd let that sway me.

I guess the only advantage of the Razr over the Galaxy that has relevance with regard to how I use the phone would be durability and protection. However, those could be huge advantages if the Galaxy creaks and squeaks and falls apart.

This is a really tough decision!

If you are a daily charger, and are careful/or are willing to use a case, then I would say go with the Gs3. It is overall, a better phone on paper. As you said, those are the two main advantages as far as your usage is concerned, and they can be cancelled out or met with charging or a case.

The Galaxy advantages are not something that you can compensate for, although, how much of a real world difference you will see besides a larger, probably brighter screen is debatable.

Based on personal experience?

yes sir. normal to light use i get a a day and a half. heavy use i get a full day. now it has been reported that some of the gs3's are coming with not so good batteries but most are fine and other users are reporting great battery life as well.

I really appreciate the feedback. Here's what I've gleaned from the net with my research.

Galaxy SIII

Advantages over Razr MAXX
  • Higher rez screen (720 x 1280 vs. Razr's 540 x 960. Is this noticeable given the screen size?)
  • S-Voice (Not sure I'd ever use it, but may be a fun gimmick.)
  • Faster Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Gyroscope (and accelerometer vs. Razr which only has accelerometer).
  • Removable Battery

RAZR MAXX

Advantages over Galaxy S III
  • Durability, splash resistant, dust proof
  • Longer battery life (We charge our phones daily, not sure 24 hr battery life would be noticed)

So, is my data correct? Anything I'm missing?

Apparently there's some difference where the Razr's web browser supports word wrap while the Galaxy's doesn't, but there are discrepancies on the web.

Additionally, from Verizon, the Galaxy is only available in white or blue. I would have preferred black, but I don't think I'd let that sway me.

I guess the only advantage of the Razr over the Galaxy that has relevance with regard to how I use the phone would be durability and protection. However, those could be huge advantages if the Galaxy creaks and squeaks and falls apart.

This is a really tough decision!

I would go with the S3. The bigger screen and higher resolution really makes a difference. I recently went from a 4.2 inch screen to a 4.7 inch screen. I just couldn't go back to the 4.2 inch screen with the lower resolution. Also the S3 on VZW supports GSM roaming, I assume for international use. The S4 Snapdragon processor is a new generation chip with 28nm manufacturing instead of 45nm that the MAXX has resulting in lower power consumption. The Snapdragon chip also handles the LTE "in-house" as well resulting in even better battery performance.

I don't have the S3 personally, but the wife does and she loves the phone especially the better battery life. I have another phone that has the same snapdragon chipset and I can tell you the battery performance is insane over other phones I've used. I don't have LTE in my area, but even with the phone scanning for LTE during the day I don't even notice a difference in battery life with turning the LTE scanning off, so I just let it scan for LTE all the time.

I have a Sprint SIII, and love it. The display is gorgeous, and TouchWiz is not that heavy (unlike Sense on HTC phones).

I tried a Evo 4G LTE, but didn't like the memory layout. The SIII has one big filesystem for the internal memory, and is what I've been hoping for all these years.

I have NOT looked at the Razr/Razr MAXX, as they are NOT available on Sprint at the present time.

I think you'd like the SIII.

Similar to what I had with the Nexus. Easy to grip and provided moderate protection with little added bulk.

had the same one with the GS2, dropped the phone quite a few times with zero issues. i used to do the bulky cases but no more.

Here's another really dumb question. I'm so accustomed to syncing my phone to my laptop via blue tooth or cable. In the old days, I used Palm's software. Now I use Microsoft's ActiveSync (I think).

Something tells me the Android OS may have a totally different approach. I assume there is a syncing software that comes with the phone?

Long ago when I had to change from Palm OS to Windows, I converted my contacts over to Outlook (which I don't really like, but my phone prefers it). I've been a gmail user for a long time. I recently exported my Outlook contacts to CSV and imported them into my gmail. So, now, my gmail is all set to sync up with my new GSIII. It's my understanding that all I have to do is just sign in to my gmail account on the phone and all will be there and sync'd to the phones native contacts list.

I use the native calendar on my Windows phone so it syncs with Outlook on my laptop whenever I sync them. Additionally, I have Google Calendar Sync that daily updates my google calendar with whatever is on my Outlook calendar.

Bottom line is, I've got gmail and google calendar with the most up-to-date data. If I understand it correctly, that'll make things run smoothly on the new Android 4.0 phone. At which point, since gmail and google calendar are "web based", manually syncing seems to be unnecessary.

That brings me to some programs I commonly use. One being ePocrates and the other SPB Wallet. Which have desktop and mobile interactions. I've already emailed these companies with regard to how I will transition over to their Android versions (both of which are available for Android ICS).

I must be over thinking this. But ultimately, this is why I keep a phone FOREVER. Because, once I have everything working the way I like it, I hate to change it - even in the presence of newer, shinier, cooler phones.

(EDIT: My god, I just read this post. I started rambling....it's because I've been doing several things at the same time, but the post sounds like a B.H. post. Sheesh.)

Last edited:
If you have gmail and use it for contacts and calander then you will like Android. You don't need to sync it with your PC as everything is synced to your gmail account.

If you have gmail and use it for contacts and calander then you will like Android. You don't need to sync it with your PC as everything is synced to your gmail account.
I figured that. Thanks. But what about other apps that reside both on the desktop and phone? Will the Android phone sync with a local PC just like my oldschool phone? Or does anyone even do that anymore?

120inna55 said:
I figured that. Thanks. But what about other apps that reside both on the desktop and phone? Will the Android phone sync with a local PC just like my oldschool phone? Or does anyone even do that anymore?

Which apps?

It depends on the apps. I personally don't have any application that needs to reside on the phone and desktop. Only thing I do is copy music to the phone but that is done just like any ordinary USB drive.

One of the selling points of the Razr was the Gorilla Glass. None of the Samsung's documentation mentions Gorilla Glass on the GS3, but apparently it does have Gorilla Glass 2. Article here. I haven't used a screen protector on my Treo Pro that I've used rather heavily for at least 2 years, and there are no scratches. Granted the GS3, having much more screen real estate, may be more susceptible. My wife wants a screen protector for hers, but I think I'll go naked. Sound strategy?

I mentioned it earlier but I would not go without a screen protector. Gorilla glass or no. Most of the good ones you won't be able to tell are on there until you get a scratch. Then you will be glad it is on a pull off versus the screen itself. As unintrusive as they are I wouldn't go without one.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)