FCC wants to make carriers unlock phones within 60 days of activation

Like many other forms of credit, postpaid service ends up costing them more in the end, just for the luxury of being able to finance a phone.
Financing isn't a "luxury" -- for many, it is a necessity. Sure it costs, but you have to weigh that against the opportunity cost (i.e. racking up credit card interest at some usury rate). Even at that, many wireless users choose to do the monthly thing with the understanding that they'll get their device upgraded periodically.

Look how many households choose to rent instead of buying a home.

I'm guessing there was a time when dropping eight bills would have put a serious hurt on your budget.

One more time

The only voice service on a cellphone in the USA is a version of voice over Ip..we know it as 5g or 4g

3g has been discontinued.. I have no idea what you are posting about since you already agreed about the voice over ip part
And that will not make a difference. You can say it for the nth time or a infinite amout of times, it will not make a difference because there are several scenarios where your 5G connection will be slower as molasses. One, the internet connection speed would be your bottleneck as you can be connected to a WAN that has a slow link speed and you will not get 5G speeds. And the 2nd is even if you connect to a 5G network, you still have a chance of getting slow speeds and this is not made up. Let's look at Google Fi where all your data roaming worldwide is free but at 128kbps or 256kbps speeds. TMobile also has the free data roaming at 128kbps speeds worldwide and XFinity Mobile for example has 256kbps unlimited data which is included when you visit Mexico and Canada. Reference your own post... so don't go you have no idea as I gave you the post #'s.

1721465731152.png

And what you asked for is that you can't even edit your post because this is a photo of what you wrote. You talk about frequencies it supports here and this is your post comment, not mines.

1721465832047.png

And once again, you are the one who said it depends on what frequences they use over seas.

The frequencies even if it says 5G does not mean you will get 5G speeds. Internationally 3G and 2G still exists since remember you are talking about in the international market, locally ofcourse there is no 3G, 2.5G or 2G. And like I said in the previous comment, just because you connect with a 5G frequency does not mean you will get 5G speeds as that is something you have no control over. No different than Xfinity Mobile being slow on Verizon's network because it routes all connections to Houston, MSP or ATL before it actually connects with the tier 1 internet backbones for example. I mean you are still mentioning frequencies even in post #50 which you wrote yourself. If it didn't matter, you wouldn't still talk about it even after the comment I am responding to.

1721466391428.png

And that will not make a difference. You can say it for the nth time or a infinite amout of times, it will not make a difference because there are several scenarios where your 5G connection will be slower as molasses. One, the internet connection speed would be your bottleneck as you can be connected to a WAN that has a slow link speed and you will not get 5G speeds. And the 2nd is even if you connect to a 5G network, you still have a chance of getting slow speeds and this is not made up. Let's look at Google Fi where all your data roaming worldwide is free but at 128kbps or 256kbps speeds. TMobile also has the free data roaming at 128kbps speeds worldwide and XFinity Mobile for example has 256kbps unlimited data which is included when you visit Mexico and Canada. Reference your own post... so don't go you have no idea as I gave you the post #'s.

View attachment 172934
And what you asked for is that you can't even edit your post because this is a photo of what you wrote. You talk about frequencies it supports here and this is your post comment, not mines.

View attachment 172935
And once again, you are the one who said it depends on what frequences they use over seas.

The frequencies even if it says 5G does not mean you will get 5G speeds. Internationally 3G and 2G still exists since remember you are talking about in the international market, locally ofcourse there is no 3G, 2.5G or 2G. And like I said in the previous comment, just because you connect with a 5G frequency does not mean you will get 5G speeds as that is something you have no control over. No different than Xfinity Mobile being slow on Verizon's network because it routes all connections to Houston, MSP or ATL before it actually connects with the tier 1 internet backbones for example. I mean you are still mentioning frequencies even in post #50 which you wrote yourself. If it didn't matter, you wouldn't still talk about it even after the comment I am responding to.

View attachment 172936
Don't feed the troll.

Verizon was forced to do this years ago

Here's the kicker

Cell phones can be built for specific carriers
The phone has to be capable of using the frequencies of the new carrier

Unlocking it won't change anything

Unless it's a verizon phone that was built after they were forced to make their phones compatible with all carriers

You need to pay attention to the actual model of the phone and read the fine print on the frequencies it supports

Samsung s 24 isn't enough.. you need the global version of the phone not the t mobile version
true alot of people don't realize that carriers cut out some of the radio bands on there phones vs just buying the unlocked version from a manufacture. i know that trash mobile cuts out the radio bands on there phones i am sure att and verizion do to

Side note. When I was transferred to Cherry Point, I was told it was cheaper to rent than to buy. I found that to be true……
Normally, I would claim that no debt is the way to live in retirement. But, I too discovered, Apple CC was cheaper to pay monthly. 3% cash back on each monthly payment. Just pay the statement balance. No finance charges.

Locally, Comcast wanted me to switch my phones to Verizon through them for a discount on my monthly Comcast internet service. But I use Verizon as my backup when Comcast is down. Wasn't worth it for a small discount.

True, but I don't consider purchases on a CC debt when I normally pay them off before incurring finance charges.
It doesn't much matter how or what you consider things. It is about how the credit reporting agencies classify your diligence in the maintenance of your credit.

Banks don't extend loans based on check registers or account balances.

• Haha
Reactions: TheForce
It doesn't much matter how or what you consider things. It is about how the credit reporting agencies classify your diligence in the maintenance of your credit.

Banks don't extend loans based on check registers or account balances.
You are trying to preach to the teacher. ;) I've probably been at this longer than you are alive. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Foxbat
When someone is 80 years old credit really doesn't mean that much anymore
Unless you're independently wealthy and entirely invested in gold (and maybe real estate), credit is nice to have around in an emergency.

Should you live that long, eldercare/assisted living is wicked expensive (an average of $6K/month per person?) and highly dependent on what ails you.

My crystal ball didn't tell me that my roof would go bad and my car would wig out in the same year.

Unless you're independently wealthy and entirely invested in gold (and maybe real estate), credit is nice to have around in an emergency.

Should you live that long, eldercare/assisted living is wicked expensive (an average of $6K/month per person?) and highly dependent on what ails you.

My crystal ball didn't tell me that my roof would go bad and my car would wig out in the same year.
You still have much to learn, padawan.

If you do it right in life, you will learn what real wealth really means. A wise master once explained it to me as reaching "critical mass." That doesn't mean having 1 million, or 10 million, or a billion in investments, gold, or real estate. Critical mass is when you have enough to meet all your necessities to enjoy what you want to enjoy without going into debt because debt is a form of slavery that you choose. When you have enough to handle all your needs, then real enjoyment is being able to help others, starting with your family and then charity.

Your crystal ball did tell you those things would happen, but you just ignored the clues. We all have those clues. If your roof is a shingle design and over 20 years old, that's a clue to plan your budget to replace it. If you own a car that is outside the warranty period and don't want to have a surprise $1500 major repair, trade it in and buy new that has a B2B warranty, but be able to pay cash if you are retired and no longer earning a pay check.

Edit- I just realized this side discussion is so off topic. This will be my last comment on "credit" discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan and Foxbat

Apple Vision Pro Gets a Release Date

Will you buy an Apple Watch?