how to move info from external hard drive

joannefm2

Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Nevada
Okay, my dish dvr (722K) just freezes and shuts down randomly. I have had 5 dvrs in one month. So I bought an external hard drive to transfer programs to, in order to not lose anything if it shut down completely.
Here's the problem: Dish configured it so it is only compatible with Dish. I am able to get the files on my pc from the hard drive by using Explore 2FS; but not able to convert them to a pc movie format. Does anyone know how to do this? Does anyone know how to get the info off the external hard drive otherwise and move it to my pc so I can view it?

Okay, my dish dvr (722K) just freezes and shuts down randomly. I have had 5 dvrs in one month. So I bought an external hard drive to transfer programs to, in order to not lose anything if it shut down completely.
Here's the problem: Dish configured it so it is only compatible with Dish. I am able to get the files on my pc from the hard drive by using Explore 2FS; but not able to convert them to a pc movie format. Does anyone know how to do this? Does anyone know how to get the info off the external hard drive otherwise and move it to my pc so I can view it?

For copyright reasons, Dish encrypts the contents of its hard drives. If anyone knows how to break that encryption, they are keeping mum and not posting the information on this forum.

If you go into the Dish technical forum, you will find postings from a number of people who have successfully copied the contents of one external hard drive onto another by formatting the second drive with the 722 and then booting their PC's in linux (the OS of the 722) and doing a straight copy from one drive to the other. Linux can be downloaded free to a boot CD, and you don't really have to know anything about it in order to do a disk copy. If you do this, you will have an extra copy, but both copies can only be played back through a 722.

Try searching in the technical forum under 'linux' or 'ubuntu' and you should have some luck.

For copyright reasons, Dish encrypts the contents of its hard drives. If anyone knows how to break that encryption, they are keeping mum and not posting the information on this forum.

If you go into the Dish technical forum, you will find postings from a number of people who have successfully copied the contents of one external hard drive onto another by formatting the second drive with the 722 and then booting their PC's in linux (the OS of the 722) and doing a straight copy from one drive to the other. Linux can be downloaded free to a boot CD, and you don't really have to know anything about it in order to do a disk copy. If you do this, you will have an extra copy, but both copies can only be played back through a 722.

Try searching in the technical forum under 'linux' or 'ubuntu' and you should have some luck.

Hi, there is a Linux based utility for cloning one HD to another. It's called clonezilla and is a much smaller download then a full live Linux CD. Just need to burn the CD as bootable .iso image then the PC is booted using the CD.

Later, DC

Dish Network Phone & Broadband Connectivity

311 Rusty Cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)