Hopper Plus Re-booting Issue

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Bobby, couple of weeks ago my Hopper Plus started self-rebooting once or twice a day while watching live TV or a recording. Lately it is self-rebooting three to four times daily while watching an app, live TV, or a recording. Is my Hopper Plus going bad or is there something I can do to stop this behavior? Marriage is on the line!! Hopper Plus is on P12800 5/16/2024 and Hopper 3 is on H375 5/25/2024. Thanks for any help.

Bobby, couple of weeks ago my Hopper Plus started self-rebooting once or twice a day while watching live TV or a recording. Lately it is self-rebooting three to four times daily while watching an app, live TV, or a recording. Is my Hopper Plus going bad or is there something I can do to stop this behavior? Marriage is on the line!! Hopper Plus is on P12800 5/16/2024 and Hopper 3 is on H375 5/25/2024. Thanks for any help.
Beats me, I am not a Hopper+ expert but I do know a bit about it. You should report it to DISH and see what they come up with. I know if my marriage hung in the balance I would have that plus out of there in a flash and I would never look back. Get a Roku or any one of the streaming devices and be done with it. That's what I do.

Last edited:
Beats me, I am not a Hopper+ expert but I do know a bit about it. You should report it to DISH and see what they come up with. I know if my marriage hung in the balance I would have that plus out of there in a flash and I would never look back. Get a Roku of any one of the streaming devices and be done with it. That's what I do.
LOL, thanks Bobby. I knew I could count on you for good solid marriage advice. Removing the Plus is what I want to do too. I told wife we should just use our Firestick for watching apps. But, she is in love with the H+ setup. I still don’t like the H+ slight lag when using the trick buttons. Pure Hopper 3 trick play buttons are lightning fast. It’s been a while since I have done our H+ pull the cord re-boot. Is there a best way to do it, pull the Plus cord first or the H3? How about when plugging them back in? Hopper Plus first and let it run a while and then plug in the Hopper 3? I am going to try that before I call Dish. Thanks again.

LOL, thanks Bobby. I knew I could count on you for good solid marriage advice. Removing the Plus is what I want to do too. I told wife we should just use our Firestick for watching apps. But, she is in love with the H+ setup. I still don’t like the H+ slight lag when using the trick buttons. Pure Hopper 3 trick play buttons are lightning fast. It’s been a while since I have done our H+ pull the cord re-boot. Is there a best way to do it, pull the Plus cord first or the H3? How about when plugging them back in? Hopper Plus first and let it run a while and then plug in the Hopper 3? I am going to try that before I call Dish. Thanks again.
I don't remember the exact sequence to remove the Hopper +. I'm sure someone will pop in with those exact instructions. Remember you can remove the Hopper + at your Hopper 3 location and still use your Joey 4s at the other locations. So your wife can continue using that tech at the Joey 4 locations.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't remember the exact sequence to remove the Hopper +. I'm sure someone will pop in with those exact instructions. Remember you can remove the Hopper + at your Hopper 3 location and still use your Joey 4s at the other locations. So your wife can continue using that tech at the Joey 4 locations.
It is not necessary to reboot the Hopper 3. Disconnect power from the Plus and move the HDMI cable from the Plus and plug it into the Hopper3, it will come on with error screen, wait 10 to 20 minutes and the Hopper3 will resume it's normal operation. You can disconnect the USB connector from the plus to the Hopper3 or just leave it there.

I have removed the Hopper Plus before long time ago. The way I did it was first unplugged the Plus and Hopper AC cord. Then removed the USB cable, plugged the HDMI cable back into the Hopper, and then plugged in the Hopper AC cord. The Hopper took about 20 to 30 minutes to fully boot up. For my present Hopper Plus issue I am going to pull both AC cords from the Plus and Hopper and then in about 30 seconds plug both AC cords back in. I was just wondering if there is a best way for which AC cord I should plug in first, Plus or the Hopper! If my present Plus self-rebooting issue doesn’t go away I will call Dish for help. I have a feeling my Plus is going bad.

Reactions: Partysox
It is not necessary to reboot the Hopper 3. Disconnect power from the Plus and move the HDMI cable from the Plus and plug it into the Hopper3, it will come on with error screen, wait 10 to 20 minutes and the Hopper3 will resume it's normal operation. You can disconnect the USB connector from the plus to the Hopper3 or just leave it there.
Thanks bobc469. For now, all I want to do is a pull the AC cord reboot for both Plus and Hopper. Do you know if there is a best way to plug the Plus and Hopper's AC cord back in? Plus first or the Hopper or just plug in both AC cords about the same time?

Thanks bobc469. For now, all I want to do is a pull the AC cord reboot for both Plus and Hopper. Do you know if there is a best way to plug the Plus and Hopper's AC cord back in? Plus first or the Hopper or just plug in both AC cords about the same time?
Shouldn't matter which one you plug in first. The first couple minutes on both is just starting up and no data connections are even being made.

I usually plug in the hopper3 1st and then plug in the Plus a minute or so later.

Well, the issue may be your Hopper Plus software version because looking at my own posting history here. P12801 came out on May 7, 2024 and the version immediately before that is P12509, there was no P126 and P127 or even P12800 which you have as on May 16, 2024, P12801 which is already newer than P12800 came out 9 days earlier so not sure how you got a version that was either unreleased or pulled before P12801 came out. P12803 came out on May 26, 2024, there might have been a P12802 or not since I didn't check for about 4 days before that. P12901 came out on May 30, 2024.

One can usually find the latest version of the Hopper Plus software from:
1) Press Home button 1x on remote
2) Select cogwheel on top right
3) On the settings menu, choose "DISH Settings"
4) Choose Diagnostics
5) On Receiver, "Hopper Plus" at the top will show the software version already on the Hopper Plus
6) On the same Receiver, hit "Channel Down"
7) Look at the "Available Joey Software" for the P entries, there are two, the first 3 digits after the P seems to be major version number which should be identical. The one that has 5 digits after the P would be the current software version available which may be the same or newer than what's listed for #5 above. If it is newer, follow instructions below:

How to update Hopper Plus software:
3) On the settings menu, choose "Device Preferences"
4) Select "About"
5) Select "Software Update"
6) It should check on it's own and the last update check should be the current date and time.
7) If not, select "Check for Update"

Notes:
Whether you manually reboot the Hopper Plus using:
4) Select "Restart"
or the Check for Updates, it will not reboot the Hopper 3 or interrupt your buffers or in-progress recordings on the Hopper 3 as only the options under:
4) Choose Diagnostics
5) Select Tools
6) Select "UPGRADE SOFTWARE" or "RESET HOPPER"
will reboot both the Hopper 3 and Hopper+

To see the current uptime of the Hopper Plus only not the Hopper 3 since last rebooted,
4) Select "About"
5) Select "Status"
6) Look at "Up time" where it will show it as HH:MM:SS where HH = Hours, MM = Minutes, and SS = seconds

So when you mention that the Hopper Plus is rebooting 3-4 times daily, if a in-progress recording stops or if you can't go back on a live buffer, then it was actually the Hopper 3 that rebooted with the Hopper Plus which should not happen outside of the nightly reboots or rebooting manually using "UPGRADE SOFTWARE" or "RESET HOPPER" mentioned above.

Well, the issue may be your Hopper Plus software version because looking at my own posting history here. P12801 came out on May 7, 2024 and the version immediately before that is P12509, there was no P126 and P127 or even P12800 which you have as on May 16, 2024, P12801 which is already newer than P12800 came out 9 days earlier so not sure how you got a version that was either unreleased or pulled before P12801 came out. P12803 came out on May 26, 2024, there might have been a P12802 or not since I didn't check for about 4 days before that. P12901 came out on May 30, 2024.

One can usually find the latest version of the Hopper Plus software from:
4) Choose Diagnostics
5) On Receiver, "Hopper Plus" at the top will show the software version already on the Hopper Plus
6) On the same Receiver, hit "Channel Down"
7) Look at the "Available Joey Software" for the P entries, there are two, the first 3 digits after the P seems to be major version number which should be identical. The one that has 5 digits after the P would be the current software version available which may be the same or newer than what's listed for #5 above. If it is newer, follow instructions below:

How to update Hopper Plus software:
4) Select "About"
5) Select "Software Update"
6) It should check on it's own and the last update check should be the current date and time.
7) If not, select "Check for Update"

Notes:
Whether you manually reboot the Hopper Plus using:
4) Select "Restart"
or the Check for Updates, it will not reboot the Hopper 3 or interrupt your buffers or in-progress recordings on the Hopper 3 as only the options under:
4) Choose Diagnostics
5) Select Tools
6) Select "UPGRADE SOFTWARE" or "RESET HOPPER"
will reboot both the Hopper 3 and Hopper+

To see the current uptime of the Hopper Plus only not the Hopper 3 since last rebooted,
4) Select "About"
5) Select "Status"
6) Look at "Up time" where it will show it as HH:MM:SS where HH = Hours, MM = Minutes, and SS = seconds

So when you mention that the Hopper Plus is rebooting 3-4 times daily, if a in-progress recording stops or if you can't go back on a live buffer, then it was actually the Hopper 3 that rebooted with the Hopper Plus which should not happen outside of the nightly reboots or rebooting manually using "UPGRADE SOFTWARE" or "RESET HOPPER" mentioned above.
Thanks Almighty1. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Reactions: Almighty1
I have removed the Hopper Plus before long time ago. The way I did it was first unplugged the Plus and Hopper AC cord. Then removed the USB cable, plugged the HDMI cable back into the Hopper, and then plugged in the Hopper AC cord. The Hopper took about 20 to 30 minutes to fully boot up. For my present Hopper Plus issue I am going to pull both AC cords from the Plus and Hopper and then in about 30 seconds plug both AC cords back in. I was just wondering if there is a best way for which AC cord I should plug in first, Plus or the Hopper! If my present Plus self-rebooting issue doesn’t go away I will call Dish for help. I have a feeling my Plus is going bad.
All you need to do is remove the power to the Plus as the Plus will only be detected when there is power and then with the TV off, move the HDMI cable from the Plus back to the Hopper 3 then turn on the TV and wait.

If you think about it, the Plus needs to be powered up first, otherwise the Hopper 3 will not see the Plus during the booting process which will may require an extra reboot. So what you want to do is:
1) Turn off TV only if #2 is needed below
2) Move the HDMI cable to the Hopper Plus if needed then Turn on TV
3) power Hopper Plus
4) power Hopper 3

charlesrshell - Hopper Plus software is now updated to P12902

And here are the current versions for all DISH Android TV hardware:
Joey 4 P52901
Wireless Joey 4 P62901
Hopper Plus P12902

It appears that unlike the Hopper 3 software which shows the installation timestamp, the Hopper Plus P19202 shows 5/30/2024 8:27 which is either the software build time stamp or when it was originally released even though it was not available for download.

Last edited:
charlesrshell - Hopper Plus software is now updated to P12902

And here are the current versions for all DISH Android TV hardware:
Joey 4 P52901
Wireless Joey 4 P62901
Hopper Plus P12902

It appears that unlike the Hopper 3 software which shows the installation timestamp, the Hopper Plus P19202 shows 5/30/2024 8:27 which is either the software build time stamp or when it was originally released even though it was not available for download.
Thanks. Looks like wife will be using H+ all day. No telling when I will be able to update it. I will at least get my other H3 updated later today.

Reactions: Almighty1
Thanks. Looks like wife will be using H+ all day. No telling when I will be able to update it. I will at least get my other H3 updated later today.
The update takes around 1 minute to download and another minute to install and then the Plus will reboot while the H3 will not so just do it when she isn't using it. You might want to do the Joey 4 in the meantime to see what the difference in the procedure is. Good luck!

New Hopper 3 & Sony XBR-Z9D

Joey 4 w/o Hopper