HDTV will not show my channels in Digital, only analog

fineuh4u

Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I bought a Philips Full HDTV 1080p has the built in tuners of atsc and ntsc. I called Dish and explained to them my story and she had me go through this whole process of unplugging and so forth, waste of time!!

Well my issue is after everything was connected to the HDTV I was only picking up analog channels after autoprogramming. I thought channels on Dish Network were all suppose to be Digital channels.

Well I do not have HD service but I only have the Standard Receiver from Dish (The DISH 322 receiver features two tuners for independent satellite TV viewing on two separate televisions)

The actual receiver is upstairs which is on channel 3 and downstairs is where the new HDTV is located and we have to tune into channel 73 and from there use the UHF remote to get DISH channels. All the channels on DISH are grainy and bad quality.

My FTA satellite is very nice and clear much, much better than the Dish channels.... What do I need to do without getting HD service, and spending sooooo much money.. Please help because I have done the search and I do not know who else could help me. Thanks a bunch guys/gals! :eureka

The actual receiver is upstairs which is on channel 3 and downstairs is where the new HDTV is located and we have to tune into channel 73 and from there use the UHF remote to get DISH channels. All the channels on DISH are grainy and bad quality.
You are feeding an HDTV a RF-modulated signal???!!! Things are going to look terrible. Absolutely terrible. Even worse than a regular TV in place of that HDTV.

The 322 receiver has three outputs: (1) S-Video, (2) Composite video, and (3) RF-modulated video/audio. You are using (3) ... the absolute worst of the bunch (by quite a margin). Even the best of what the 322 offers (S-Video) is going to look pretty bad on an HDTV. S-Video does not tolerate long cable runs so to use it, realistically you're talking putting the 322 in the same room as the TV. Even if you were to move your 322 next to your HDTV, an S-Video feed into an HDTV will be quite bad. Add to that the fact that Dish highly compresses it's SD signals (what the 322 is capable of receiving), and your HDTV with it's higher resolution will just magnify those flaws.

The tuner in your TV, whether it be ntsc or atsc, plays no role what-so-ever in the connection from the 322 and your TV if you use S-Video or Composite. It does in the RF-modulated case, which is what you are using. You are using your TVs analog tuner (ntsc) to tune to channel 73.

Your 322 is indeed picking up digital channels from Dish (INPUT). They are all digital. However, the OUTPUTS from the 322 to your TV are all analog. The only connection method that is digital between a Dish receiver and your TV is HDMI. Dish does not give you HDMI except with their HD receivers (622, 722, etc). With an HDMI connection, your TV tuner is not involved. For that matter, the TVs tuner is not involved with Component either, nor S-Video, nor Composite.

The only way to get a HD signal to your HDTV is via HDMI or Component. Any other connection method will NOT pass high definition. Which is a moot point in your case, because the 322 is incapable of receiving HD in the first place. Just remember that in the future, if you ever get a HD receiver from Dish, you must hook it up using HDMI or Component to actually see any HD.

[edit]
Just to clarify, when I said "The only connection method that is digital between a Dish receiver and your TV is HDMI" I should have also mentioned DVI. That is a digital connection as well. HDMI is pretty much just a repackaged DVI connection with audio added.
[/edit]

Last edited:
fineuh4u,

Not only you get poor picture quality, your TV2 coax out from 322 is actually mono sound, not stereo. Can you imagine that?
The solution is to move your receiver from upstairs to next to your HDTV, using the s-video out from TV1 for the HDTV and use TV2, coax out for the TV upstairs. The signal upstairs will be bad but at least you can feed your HDTV with the best signal your 322 has to offer. I don't know how far away your TV upstaris will be once you move the receiver downstair. You can in principle run the composite RCA cables (Video and audio L/R) through the walls. That is a lot of work but at least give you better picture quality and stereo sound upstair. If I were you, I would go ahead to do that. Even when you upgrade to the HD receiver in the future, you will still face the same problem on your 2nd TV if you don't do anything.

Dish Network didn't explain the fine details of the compromise on 322 receiver. I think some people would consider using two receivers (311, e.g.) even though that means monthly fee for the 2nd receiver.

Call a local Dish retailer, tell them that you want to upgrade to HD and have them install the new box for you. If your set handles it, ask them to hook it up via HDMI cables, otherwise use the component cables. First your box has to be an HD box, and second the connection from the box to your TV must also support HD. Good luck.

GET HD--its free for 6 months come on just do it! Its really your best option no matter what that 322 will not give you a satisfactory picture on that t.v.

Guys,

The constraint here is limited budget. After the first 6 months Dish will start charging for the HD channels. He wants to stay with the SD package.
I don't get it. Unless he bought a low budget tv what the hell is the sense in buying an HDTV and not at least entertaining the thought of feeding it what it needs, an HD signal.

I don't get it. Unless he bought a low budget tv what the hell is the sense in buying an HDTV and not at least entertaining the thought of feeding it what it needs, an HD signal.

1. from WalMart, Circuit City, Bestbuy, to Amazon, 99% of what they carry are HDTV or EDTV. There are not much option out there. So that answer you first question why many people are getting HDTV.
2. I think as consumers, we should not become hostages of technology. My surround sound system probably needs high end speaker wires to perform its best but I expect it to perform acceptably even if it is hooked up with some cheap wires.

1. from WalMart, Circuit City, Bestbuy, to Amazon, 99% of what they carry are HDTV or EDTV. There are not much option out there. So that answer you first question why many people are getting HDTV.
2. I think as consumers, we should not become hostages of technology. My surround sound system probably needs high end speaker wires to perform its best but I expect it to perform acceptably even if it is hooked up with some cheap wires.

Guys,

The constraint here is limited budget. After the first 6 months Dish will start charging for the HD channels. He wants to stay with the SD package.

The question remains, why buy an HDTV if you are not going to feed it an HD signal! These few quotes just re-enforce what the polls and surveys have been saying for quite some time now: Many people are illiterate about what it takes to view an HD picture. Folks buy an HDTV and believe that they magically begin to watch HD when they turn the TV on. And before you beat me up on whether or not each of you understand what HD is, I know you do or you wouldn't be on this site. I'm just trying to make the point that the vast majority of consumers don't know.

All he probably needs for at least some HD is a $30 set of rabbit ears to get OTA HD local channels! In most areas of the country you can get at least SOME HD OTA channels with a simple pair or good, AMPLIFIED, rabbit ears.

But plugging in an RF signal from an box (cable/dish/direct/whatever) will NEVER get you HD anything. You need an HD box to ge HD TV from cable/satellite/IPTV

See ya
Tony

All he probably needs for at least some HD is a $30 set of rabbit ears to get OTA HD local channels! In most areas of the country you can get at least SOME HD OTA channels with a simple pair or good, AMPLIFIED, rabbit ears.

But plugging in an RF signal from an box (cable/dish/direct/whatever) will NEVER get you HD anything. You need an HD box to ge HD TV from cable/satellite/IPTV

See ya
Tony

Well said. As I said before. People just don't know. Educate, educate, educate! :eureka

I wonder how many people return their HDTV's because they had it hooked up to an SD source.

That's a GREAT question! I wonder that myself sometimes. I've even had spirited discussions with friends concerning 16:9 SD programming. They'll swear they are watching HD programming when if fact they aren't. People have to take the inititive and learn all they can.

Last edited:
That's a GREAT question! I wonder that myself sometimes. I've even had spirited discussionswith friends concerning 16:9 SD programming. They'll swear they are watching HD programming when if fact they aren't. People have to take the inititive and learn all they can.

I went to a friend's house recently. They had just purchased a nice Samsung LCD TV that was mounted over their fireplace. Looked real nice until you turned it on. They had it connected to analog cable via coax! Horrible picture. I tried to explain that you needed an HD input to see HD. They looked at me with a blank stare as if I was was talking a foreign language!

The question remains, why buy an HDTV if you are not going to feed it an HD signal! These few quotes just re-enforce what the polls and surveys have been saying for quite some time now: Many people are illiterate about what it takes to view an HD picture. Folks buy an HDTV and believe that they magically begin to watch HD when they turn the TV on. And before you beat me up on whether or not each of you understand what HD is, I know you do or you wouldn't be on this site. I'm just trying to make the point that the vast majority of consumers don't know.

Since no one seems to be interested in help solving the question posted initially, let me try my best to rephrase it for him this way:

1. The TV set gets great signal from FTA HD broadcast. No problem.
2. The person knows he doesn't subsribe HD package and doesn't expect HD quality from the SD package he does subscribe.
3. There is a comparison of analog signals vs. digital signals. He also mentioned that problem occurred after he did the auto programming. The confusion comes since he didn't specify what connection he uses between his satellite receiver and his HDTV.

To me, auto progrmming is not necessary since he probably should use s-Video out from the receiver to connect to his TV set. in that case he should use LINE IN or AUX IN when he watch his SD digital programs. Auto programming on his TV does do anything.

Anyway, the problem probably has been resolved.

I completely agree with #1. Anyone who has a TV blow out on them right now is in a very difficult spot, especially if they are on a budget. Right now on Best Buy's website if you are looking at a 30" to 39" TV, only 2, that's right, 2, of the 35+ options are Standard Definition. Chances are that anyone buying a TV right now is going to get HD or ED.

The problem is that a lot of these people don't want, or cannot afford to pay for HD. It's very unfortunate. I know several people who just want an ordinary TV, but are stuck watching a terrible signal on their HDTV because that's all they could find.

Anybody buying a new TV should make sure that it comes with a digital tuner to take advantage of the change coming in feb 09 " the switch to all digital broadcast", if your local cable co. offers a low cost package for just the network affiliates and some others, you will have access to all networks in HD. This is the case with my local cable "cox" right now, I cannot get my HD locals from dish till who knows when but for $12 a month I get all network HD feeds that are being broadcast along with the analog. I have 2 abc , 2 cbs ,2 nbc , 1 fox, 2 pbs and whatever the the other one is all in 1080i or 720p. you have to do a digital scan and they will show up as 3.1, 4.1, 5.1 and so on. this is a great option for rain days and blackout games that can happen. it sounds like the 1st post member has that option with his tv and it is a way to actualy see HD without commiting to a contract and renting box's for $$$. E would be $20 for HD $6 for lease fee per month and $49- $99 upgrade after rebate but you still have to pay $149- $199 up front. I believe that cable co's are required to offer these lower teirs but they may not advertise them, but some may not be broadcasting HD in the lower channels yet, cox just started some last year but went to all this past july.

I went to a friend's house recently. They had just purchased a nice Samsung LCD TV that was mounted over their fireplace. Looked real nice until you turned it on. They had it connected to analog cable via coax! Horrible picture. I tried to explain that you needed an HD input to see HD. They looked at me with a blank stare as if I was was talking a foreign language!

In most cases you are correct.. Although, when I hooked up my 42in plasma to the cable and did a channel scan, it picked up a few digital HD channels that are provided by our useless cable system. My Toshiba though does have a Qam tuner in it in additioni to the Atsc tuner. So it is possible to get some actual HD by just plugging in the cable from the cable source. That being said, why would anyone want too? :)

Actually, I am amazed at all the low-priced SD TVs (under $200) with digital tuners that Walmart has. I think they know their market here in Vermont. You would think that they could make them 480p for very little cost, but most are 480i.
BB & CC just seem to carry mostly HD.

Dish HD requirements for the SF Bay area

Combineing Signals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)