HDTV will not show my channels in Digital, only analog

I bought a Philips Full HDTV 1080p has the built in tuners of atsc and ntsc. I called Dish and explained to them my story and she had me go through this whole process of unplugging and so forth, waste of time!!

Well my issue is after everything was connected to the HDTV I was only picking up analog channels after autoprogramming. I thought channels on Dish Network were all suppose to be Digital channels.

You are suffering from a big misunderstanding of how your equipment works.

Your Dish receiver takes a digital signal and converts it into digital and analog output for the HDMI, component, svideo, composite and RF outputs. The NTSC and ATSC tuners on your tv are not even necessary since the Dish signal is scrambled and would not be usable without the Dish receiver. Dish Network does not work like cable where you can just run the Coax cable straight into your tv and bypass the set top box altogether.

You need to run component cables from your Dish receiver to your HDTV to get the best possible results with the standard definition channels you have subscribed to. Even then, SD tv will look less than satisfying compared to HD from OTA or FTA.

You are hesitant to spend the money on HD service from Dish and yet you spent big dollars on a 1080p HDTV. Your either need to shift your spending habits in order to feed HD signals to your HDTV or stick to OTA/FTA for your tv signal source.

One question: You say FTA but do you really have an FTA system or are you just talking about over the air signals from a vhf/uhf antenna?

The percentage of hd to sd sets at walmart varies by area but the most hd any will have is about %70. Kmart tends to have a higher percentage of crt's and recently when I stopped by all the ones that didnt have a digital tuner had the notification label on the box to that effect and were marked down. EDTV's are almost completely gone and the last one I saw was about a year ago at BB. Some hd sets dont do a good job with sd and it looks like crap while others do such a good job you'd almost swear it was hd if you werent like those of us here who enjoy our tv viewing. The samsung I had didnt do a good job with sd and I hated it along with the meriad of other problems it had so I took it back and got a vizio, the vizio as far as Im concerned is the best hd lcd tv Ive ever seen and blows away other brands.

One thing I never liked about the dual tuners was the tv2 output could be golden on some tv's while total crap on others regardless of wether it was a new or old set or new or old cable, it was a headache to get fixed if it could be fixed. That being said if I was the poster I'd either get the at100 with hd from dish or get your moneys worth and go to directv and get the 200 package with hd but even going with the family package on the 322 and hooking up an antenna to the hd set will be the cheapest route and even cheaper to just have the antenna.

Funny how the original poster never responds but we keep going on this. It's even more funny to see how many people respond that don't even pay attention to what was said. Here is what I see.

1. The person went out and bought an expensive HD tv Phillips 1080P
2. Hooks is up via coax on the 2nd tuner of a 322
3. Does not understand how his equipment works thinks his output from a 322 is digital
4. Does not want to spend SOOO Much Money to get HD for his expensive HD tv
5. Has a couple grand to buy an expensive tv, but does not want to spend money for HD programs?
6. We keep talking about it...even Iam guilty of this :) I have a good reson though I am board sitting at home with a broken leg..

I completely agree with #1. Anyone who has a TV blow out on them right now is in a very difficult spot, especially if they are on a budget. Right now on Best Buy's website if you are looking at a 30" to 39" TV, only 2, that's right, 2, of the 35+ options are Standard Definition. Chances are that anyone buying a TV right now is going to get HD or ED.

The problem is that a lot of these people don't want, or cannot afford to pay for HD. It's very unfortunate. I know several people who just want an ordinary TV, but are stuck watching a terrible signal on their HDTV because that's all they could find.

Cannot afford..Let's look at that for a moment. Cannot afford. People say they cannot afford something ususally can but just have a other priorities. They ar ethe smart ones. They don't buy unless the price of the item is within their budget.
Now for those who run out and buy a new tv for over $1,000 then complain they can't afford this or that. No wonder. They spent $1,000 they shouldn't have.
This business of retailers no longer selling larger CRT tv's..Ok that 's fine. But who says one MUST have a NEW tv...If a flat panel isn't in the budget, then look elsewhere. The want ads, ebay etc....All kinds of places to find preowned tv's...Real cheap too.
No one is being forced or otherwise coerced into buying a tv they obviously cannot afford to buy.
To me this smacks of whining.
I cannot wait for the other shoe to drop..We'll see headlines screaming about how tv purchasers are now victimns of evil tv manufacturers and retailers and how advocacy groups will demand the federal govt make a law or soem regulation that gives low and moderate income people a tv purchase tax credit.
Jeez..when does it all end.

Dish HD requirements for the SF Bay area

Combineing Signals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts