HD pack only - seem to remember a "penalty"

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
OK - feel dumb, can't remember...

I seem to remember the HD pack ONLY being available for $10 + some bogus $5 fee. Correct?

If you don't subscribe to any of Dish's main programming packages AT60, AT120 etc. there is a $5 service charge.

NightRyder

hancox said:
OK - feel dumb, can't remember...

I seem to remember the HD pack ONLY being available for $10 + some bogus $5 fee. Correct?

Yea this is correct i just downgraded To the HD pak only last night and was told my bill would be the HD pak 9.99. Also 4.99 second rec and 5.00 Penalty for not having a pak of at 60 or better.

I might be doing this very same thing in February.

I'm waiting out my contract seeing what will happen with the other providers come that time.

Yeah - I'm going to start a "what should I do thread" soon - lots of 811'ers on the cliff...

Here's a what should I do :)

Should I buy a 921 for $489 or is that still to much for the thing ;)

BFG said:
Here's a what should I do :)

Should I buy a 921 for $489 or is that still to much for the thing ;)

I'd dump my 811 and buy a 921 for that price but I literally have no room the thing (too damn big). :(

NightRyder

Meh, I still don't know if it's worth it. It only has 1 OTA tuner and I'd want to record 2 OTA shows more than 2 satellite shows, also I'd be hit with the $4.98 fee.

Well how about this, what's better? A D* HD STB for $300 or the 921 for $489

Oh fine, since we're starting down that road:

I have a Sony TV with cablecard. I have local HD service only through Cablevision (yuck).

I have AT120 with HD from E* through an 811.

So, I have a few routes:

1) Stay as-is.

This is an expensive route, but gives me a combo of a great HD lineup, locals in HD, and cable modem/vonage

2) Drop E*, up CVC

Probably the cheapest / easiest, but I hate Cablevision and their tricks, + I would lose EPG and the E* goodies, not to mention TNT-HD, the HDNets, and DiscoveryHD.

3) Drop everything, go D*

I'd really like to do this, if only D* gets FOX O&O HD, + sig. viewed channels for my CT locals (my CT location is in the NYC DMA). Add going to DSL and losing vonage, and this gets a little iffy.

4) Drop everything but E*

Unlikely, unless E* pulls all of the O&O HD's out of their @$%@#$%@#$%@#$%

BTW, here's my total lineup for HD if I go #1:

CVC:
WCBS-DT
WNBC-DT
WNYW-DT (Fox)
WABC-DT
PBS HD
InHD
Universal HD
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
FSNY HD
MSG HD
ESPN HD

E*:
TNT HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
DiscoveryHD

Well by next year sometime I think we will see more HD on Dish. For the new folks out there think about coming to Dish I saw on their site they are doing the 6 months Free of HD.

I'd would stay away from cable. I'm sure you can pull in HD via an antenna, your just not trying hard enough :)

Poke, Charlie has said that all new HD will be MPEG-4.

BFG, would an HD DTivo be out of the question? You can record 2 HD OTA at the same time with it.

I would pick a D* HD receiver over a 921 based on reliability.

Hancox, D* should have FOX-HD next month after football season is over.

I like the HD Tivo, but I don't want to be poor. I really don't like to spend a lot of money on equipment that's tied down on a single provider, that's why I prefer to lease. But i'd probably never be able to lease an HD-DVR from someone, except cable, but my cable co is a pile of dung.

You may be able to get a credit from D* to purchase the HD DTivo. They have done that for some people to help them purchase it.

BFG said:
I might be doing this very same thing in February.

I'm waiting out my contract seeing what will happen with the other providers come that time.

Yup same here. cablevision has more HD and just released an HD PVR for $10/month.

Yeah, I've heard lots of yapping about the SA 8300HD - good and bad. It will certainly be in play.

Ah yes, OTA. I live on the fringe of the NYC DMA. Not exactly an OTA paradise (although work is afoot to improve the Empire State Building array). The distance makes this difficult, if not impossible, from my area. I'd probably need a 40' mast with an 8-bay UHF monster + rotator. Yeah, the WAF drops that in a heartbeat. :)

My local cable monopoly is an absolute joke.
Besides no HD, they don't offer any of the PPV sports packages like ESPN Gameplan or FullCourt.
Anyone have experience with HD and ESPN packages only?
Since I'm on auto-renew with both, you'd think Dish would want to keep taking my $99/package/year.

Rookie needs help splitting 2 21sw's.

Do we maintain an active list of 921 bugs/complaints?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)