HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

I didn't understand why they got rid of HBO. It is indeed the premium channel. Since its inception, all the way to about the end of Game of Thrones. To just toss that image away seems silly. Granted, I'm getting older and younger people were way to young to watch The Sopranos, The Wire or weren't even alive when Arli$$ or Kids in the Hall was on. Thirty Helens agree, there still has to be a brand value to HBO.
As I wrote before, name should have been HBO+, or HBOMAX+.

You just do not toss away a name like that, for example, from 2022-
IMG_1350.png

The big problem is Warner Brothers has DC. And they didn't use it well at all. Disney cruised with Marvel, and finished up a remarkable Infinity War story arc of the likes never produced before, even the bad movies were okay. It helps with the heroes being a bit fallible which doesn't require ridiculous (for comic book movies) storylines. Warner Brothers doesn't have Star Wars, a franchise that has proven you can make awful movies, slap that title on it, and people will still show up.
Warner actually has a tremendous catalog beyond DC, many older shows/movies’ concepts that can be used towards an update, much like how Universal treated Battlestar.

Warner/Discovery does not have the $$$ to do so or the want to since it leans into the cheaper reality programming already paid for to pad MAX with content.

I think of Peacock the same way, NBC Universal has a massive back catalog, many shows that can be remade in today’s world.

You can put up as many GIFs as you wish, since taking over Warner from AT&T, they have made it worse ( which is amazing since AT&T basically destroyed it).

Losses continue (negative $966,000,000 in Q1 2024), a bunch of flop movies or barely breaking even, because of way to high budgets, losing more then 2 Million per sub fees every quarter for all their basic cable channels, lost the NBA, etc.

Has lost the Prestige TV Series marker to other streaming services, specially Apple TV, what does HBO have, 1 right now, will be back in 2 years.

And a market cap of $17 Billion, but current debt of $42 Billion.
Um...why exactly did you think I posted the GIF? If it wasn't clear, it was about another name change for what should have always just been HBO.

Reactions: Yespage
Um...why exactly did you think I posted the GIF? If it wasn't clear, it was about another name change for what should have always just been HBO.
The GIF could of been taken many ways.

My apologies.

But I will post this again, Discovery has no idea how to run Warner, still amazed they are doing a worse job then AT&T.

Seems like they reset every 6 months, mostly because they are in desperate needs of cash.

But to keep cutting the programming that subscribers of HBO expect is the wrong move, will cause more to leave.

I received the $139 yearly special for the 4K Package a few months ago, but I am finding it is not worth that.

After the year is over, if things are not better, going to drop and subscribe for a month once a year to catch up, that is how I sub to AMC+.

The only services worth yearly are Hulu, Disney, Paramount with Showtime and Netflix because they are constantly adding new content.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and Bobby
The only services worth yearly are Hulu, Disney, Paramount with Showtime and Netflix because they are constantly adding new content.
I watch Amazon as much as Netflix. They have more classic movies and shows, not to mention Reacher, Boyz, Wheel of Tme, Gen V, etc. And a perk of Prime.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and ncted
I watch Amazon as much as Netflix. They have more classic movies and shows, not to mention Reacher, Boyz, Wheel of Tme, Gen V, etc. And a perk of Prime.
I just do not consider Amazon a streaming service, more of an add on to the free shipping.

If it was just a streaming service, like AMC+, I would subscribe for a month, catch up, cancel, repeat the following year.

I think of Apple TV+ the same way, but a couple of years ago, Costco had Apple TV+ gift cards on sale for 1 year/$30, I bought 6, so have it all year ( and a few more).

Last edited:
Allmost six months ago, I went to cancel the premium tier (4K, DV)) and go an offer to stay and pay $8 for the ad free tier. I went cancel that this morning, and they came back with an $8.50 offer. So, I accepted. They sure don't want to lose "a statistic".

Reactions: ncted
Allmost six months ago, I went to cancel the premium tier (4K, DV)) and go an offer to stay and pay $8 for the ad free tier. I went cancel that this morning, and they came back with an $8.50 offer. So, I accepted. They sure don't want to lose "a statistic".
I'd rather have you pay me $8.50 a month than $0 a month too.

AirTV Anywhere Issue

Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy