HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Sounds like Fox is just hedging their bets.

More like they finally came to the realization that Traditional Paid Live TV is dying, not coming back.

First was the lost of per sub fees, now the advertising market has totally dropped, not just for Traditional, but for streaming also, because of too many options.

Now, spending way too much on sports rights, losing a lot of money on them, need new income to cover those contracts.

Disney probably doesn't care since they've always been counting on ESPN OTT.
Hence why they will not make it too expensive.
Of course, WBD and Zaslav have no idea what's going on, per usual
That is a understatement.

What's interesting to me is Fox is leading the charge on Venu. They are providing the tech and the management team. Yet, they're willing to also throw their content to ESPN as an add-in. Look, I think multiple avenues to sell your thing is better, not worse, but I also think Fox might end up losing a ton of money if they're trying to build a thing from scratch or license in the tech. It always struck me odd that Disney didn't take the charge on Venu, given they already own the BAMTech tech that could easily power the whoe thing.
I think Fox realizes that they're in a very dangerous situation now, with expensive sports rights but no DTC distribution for them. I think their strategy in the past was to keep all those sports exclusive to linear, to prop up the value of their locals and cable nets. But fighting against the cord-cutting trend is a losing proposition, so they either must create a DTC path(s) or just license that stuff out to other companies' DTCs. (Note that they have a non-exclusive licensing agreement in place with Hulu for next-day access to Fox primetime shows.)

Fox may end up being forced to roll out their content (e.g. local Fox station plus all the Fox Sports cable content) on a standalone DTC basis, so they could repurpose the Venu tech/app for that if it came to it. That wouldn't preclude them, of course, from also distributing that same content as add-ons any other way they could, e.g. ESPN, Prime Video Channels, Apple TV Channels, the Roku Channel, etc. (That, BTW, is also the future I envision for HBO if/when Max folds and HBO reverts to being a standalone/a la carte service: sell via their own app but also as add-ons to lots of bigger apps that already have a ton of credit cards on file.)

Reactions: savarese04
Warner’s 2nd Quarter report was released and it is pretty terrible-

• Loss per share: 36 cents vs. a loss of 22 cents expected
  • Revenue: $9.7 billion vs. $10.07 billion expected

$9.1 billion charge related to the devaluation of the company’s TV networks.

The $9.1 billion goodwill impairment charge, which is a non-cash, pre-tax figure, comes after an asset reevaluation that accounted for the difference between the “fair value” and “book value” of the networks, which have changed due to continued softness in U.S. linear ad market and uncertainty around affiliate and sports rights renewals, including the NBA, two years after the close of WarnerMedia and Discovery’s merger.

Warner’s net loss for the quarter was $10 billion.

As of June 30, it had $41.4 billion in gross debt and $3.6 billion cash on hand.

Warner Bros. Discovery reported an adjusted loss of $107 million for its direct-to-consumer segment in Q2.

In the studio segment, revenue was down 4% year over year at $2.4 billion. TV revenue was down 27%, video games revenue dropped 41% and box office was up 19%.

While the Box Office was up, revenues largely went to production companies, for example, Godzilla X Kong and Dune Part Two were produced by Legendary, who receive 80% of Warner’s share from the Box Office.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That $9.1 billion write-down seems awfully shady. Magically wipe away tax considerations.

Their debt to cash ratio seems problematic. But they took in $10 billion in the quarter.

Reactions: ncted
That $9.1 billion write-down seems awfully shady. Magically wipe away tax considerations.

Their debt to cash ratio seems problematic. But they took in $10 billion in the quarter.
That's not how taxes work. This is a write-down of an intangible asset that would have been setup in purchase accounting. The only tax impact is a book/tax adjustment. It doesn't actually change the income tax paid or calculated.

That's not how taxes work. This is a write-down of an intangible asset that would have been setup in purchase accounting. The only tax impact is a book/tax adjustment. It doesn't actually change the income tax paid or calculated.
Thanks. I'll stop pretending I know anything about corporate taxation.

How do free streaming channels make money?

Disney/Hulu News