OTHER GTMEDIA V7 or V9?

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
I'm thinking about buying one of these while they're still cheap and available. Anyone have any experience with either and which one would be best/easiest to learn to use for this soon to be 79 year old "old fart"?

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL!!!!!

Just say'in

Reactions: FTA4PA
I have the GT Media V7S5X. Its blind scan works very well. It's easy to use. There is an editor available so you can do editing on your PC and then upload the database via USB memory stick similar to how the GSP microHD worked. I leave the USB memory stick installed on the receiver so I can always have a current database backup on the stick in case anything happens to the receiver.

There is no way to use a web browser on your PC to access this box. The Edision can do this so you can remotely view on your PC any channel received on the satellite receiver. Therefore you can't use PotPlayer or VLC to view on your PC channels using modulations not supported by the box. For example, I can stream 4.2.2. channels via the web interface on the Edision to my PC for viewing.

The youtube streaming capability is not very good. So I don't use it. I had to manually program North American satellites since it comes loaded with the European satellites. Often when I blind scan it wipes out custom names I entered for channels.

So the Edision is better in most ways. However, overall, the V7S5X is a great little box for the $30 delivered that I paid. I'm glad I bought it. I have no experience with the V9 model.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
One thing I noticed about the V9 is it supports HEVC, whatever that is and it's not mentioned on the V7? Is that important?

That and the V9 is a couple of bucks cheaper, not that the $2 would make that much of a difference.

Just say'in

One thing I noticed about the V9 is it supports HEVC, whatever that is and it's not mentioned on the V7? Is that important?

That and the V9 is a couple of bucks cheaper, not that the $2 would make that much of a difference.

Just say'in

HEVC = H.265

The V7S5X can receive the HEVC transponder on 117W Ku which confirms it can handle H.265 / HEVC. This is a newer standard than H.264 / AVC. Also, V7S5X has interfaces for wifi, 3G and Mobile Tethering. I have only tested the wifi interface and it works fine for connecting via your home wifi to the Internet. For those with more networking savvy than I, this may mean you can communicate to the V7S5X from other devices on your home network.

The V7S5X can receive the HEVC transponder on 117W Ku which confirms it can handle H.265 / HEVC. This is a newer standard than H.264 / AVC. Also, V7S5X has interfaces for wifi, 3G and Mobile Tethering. I have only tested the wifi interface and it works fine for connecting via your home wifi to the Internet. For those with more networking savvy than I, this may mean you can communicate to the V7S5X from other devices on your home network.
How about firmware updates for the V7S5X? From what I read there were some problems with the V9 firmware a while back?

For those with more networking savvy than I, this may mean you can communicate to the V7S5X from other devices on your home network.
Modern receivers that don't support a web interface usually have at least one of two things, a DLNA server and/or support for a proprietary app called Big2Small. I believe someone here sniffed their network and wrote their own Windows program to access the latter capability.

OTHER C Band Orthomode Feed. How do you switch LNB's?