Got a new HR24, video quality has issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I looked and didn't see any posts about this...

I bit the bullet and bought an HR24-500 online - I just couldn't take the slow speed of my HR21's anymore.

Got it setup tonight and I'm seeing some serious issues with the video quality.

1) The video is lighter than any other of my HDMI sources (my HR21's, Blu-ray player, HD Media player). Color is lower. Blacks are not black they are closer to grey. Also, contrast is not as strong. It's very "off".

2) When viewing an SD channel, the video is VERY jagged at 1080i. When turning off Native and choosing 480i, it looks okay.

Did I get a broken one or is this part of owning something new?

I looked and didn't see any posts about this...

I bit the bullet and bought an HR24-500 online - I just couldn't take the slow speed of my HR21's anymore.

Got it setup tonight and I'm seeing some serious issues with the video quality.

1) The video is lighter than any other of my HDMI sources (my HR21's, Blu-ray player, HD Media player). Color is lower. Blacks are not black they are closer to grey. Also, contrast is not as strong. It's very "off".

2) When viewing an SD channel, the video is VERY jagged at 1080i. When turning off Native and choosing 480i, it looks okay.

Did I get a broken one or is this part of owning something new?

This is definately NOT the norm.

I'm gonna guess that your using a HDMI cable and HD TV ?

If using an av system and using a different hdmi input on the system, you may be seeing default settings. Check your tv settings and see if they are the same as your other sources.

Yeah, I'm using an HDMI cable and even swapped it out. Also, tried a different input on my AV receiver and TV.
I'm using the same input as my old HR21. I put back my HR21 and everything looks fine.

As for problem 2, it looks like there's an issue with the scaler as when I set it to pillar box, the jaggies go away.

DJ Rob said:
It is set to 1080i 1080p, native off. That's what I've had the other ones set to since my TV is 1080i/p.

Mines set the same except native on.

Read through my paperwork and once I subbed the box, the retailer will not swap it or take it back under any conditions. Directv is supposed to warranty it. Called Directv and they can't guarantee that I'll get another HR24 if they replace it. So it looks like I just wasted $225. :(

Read through my paperwork and once I subbed the box, the retailer will not swap it or take it back under any conditions. Directv is supposed to warranty it. Called Directv and they can't guarantee that I'll get another HR24 if they replace it. So it looks like I just wasted $225. :(

Chances are very good that you will get another HR24. They do thier best to get youthe same recvr that you currently have.

Also, Why did you pay $ 225 for your recvr ?
D* has them available for $ 199 as does Solid Signal if you didn't want to take your chances with a non HR24.

I would give D* a call, it IS D*s issue at this point, your local guy is out of the picture once the unit is activated. Unless he's wanting to be a nice guy.

It was $225 with tax and shipping.

When I called about buying an HR24 from Directv, they said they could give me another HD DVR for $199 but couldn't guarantee the model or if it was even a refurb or new.

So today I woke up to a totally dead HR24.
I've spent almost 3 hours on the phone with Directv this morning...now afternoon. I've escalated it to a supervisor and now a manager. On hold with a manager now.

So far they say they are only willing to replace it with a refurb HD DVR since they say they can't guarantee what models they send out. They said most likely it won't be another HR24 since they keep running out of stock of that one.

If this is the case and I don't get a working HR24, I will be cancelling...way to treat existing high paying customers :(
Not very pleased about this.

Update: The manager came back and said she is going to shoot off some emails with corporate and see if she can get it swapped. She said said she is going to call me back within 24 hours with what she finds out. So I wait...

Last edited:
It was $225 with tax and shipping.

When I called about buying an HR24 from Directv, they said they could give me another HD DVR for $199 but couldn't guarantee the model or if it was even a refurb or new.

So today I woke up to a totally dead HR24.
I've spent almost 3 hours on the phone with Directv this morning...now afternoon. I've escalated it to a supervisor and now a manager. On hold with a manager now.

So far they say they are only willing to replace it with a refurb HD DVR since they say they can't guarantee what models they send out. They said most likely it won't be another HR24 since they keep running out of stock of that one.

If this is the case and I don't get a working HR24, I will be cancelling...way to treat existing high paying customers :(
Not very pleased about this.

Update: The manager came back and said she is going to shoot off some emails with corporate and see if she can get it swapped. She said said she is going to call me back within 24 hours with what she finds out. So I wait...

Rob,
When you talk to D* again, ask them if you can have the Installation centers phone number ..... If you get it, call them directly, it will have to be early, like 7-9 am I would think as the guys would be gone somewhere in that time frame.
Ask THEM if they have HR24's and if they do, tell them you have one than is to be replaced and you would like to get one of them.

D* has no way of knowing what the installation group has left in their stock.

Thanks for the advice!
I will try that if this person can't get it done.

Directv needs to put in place a way to swap like models that are under warranty. Especially since there are customers like me who paid a good chunk of cash to get a specific one.

It's crazy that they thought I would be okay getting an older model refurb for the HR24 when I had just turned a free one down a week ago and choose to spend the extra money to get a faster DVR.

This is one place Dish used to be much better, allowing you to get the model you wanted. From what I hear recently, even they have become a PITA in this area.

Thanks for the advice!
I will try that if this person can't get it done.

Directv needs to put in place a way to swap like models that are under warranty.
Especially since there are customers like me who paid a good chunk of cash to get a specific one.

It's crazy that they thought I would be okay getting an older model refurb for the HR24 when I had just turned a free one down a week ago and choose to spend the extra money to get a faster DVR.

Like I mentioned before, USUALLY, D*s been able to give you the same model that you previously had.

Keep in mind, your not the only one thats spend a lot of money on them.

I've spent $200 for both of mine + tax.
Plus I had to spend another $ 60 + each for 2 AM 21's as the NEW HR24 doesn't do what my OLD HR20's did, NO OTA TUNERS

Wow well good luck getting some resolution to your HR24 problem!
Hey has anyone had any experiences buying from 6th Ave. Electronics? Boy they claim they will sell you an HR24 for like $185 with free shipping!

What is the difference between an HR24-500 and HR24-100?

They did a swap out for me yesterday because my HR24-500 had network problems.

They gave me HR24-100 instead. Is there a big difference?

Different manufacturers. There may be a different internal layout, but they should be functionally equivalent.

HR24-500 = Humax
HR24-100 = Technicolor (aka Audiovox/Thomson/RCA)

There is also a HR24-200 which quite recently came out and is built by Samsung.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts