Google TV...Slingbox stand alone.....922??? Which one if you don't have any?

OregonScott

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I have 2 722's and a 622.....I do understand that some content has been blocked for the google TV, but withstanding........do you need sling if you get google tv? what are you missing if you don't get sling with google tv? I can get an upgrade to the 922 for $200, approx. the same price for the standalone slingbox or the google tv. I believe alot of people who are not that knowlegeable are interested in this

The purpose of a Slingbox is nothing at all like GoogleTV. The two boxes perform entirely different functions.

Do you want remote viewing or do you want to "enhance" your home TV viewing?

Today I would (and do) go with a Slingbox over a ViP922 if remote viewing is what you're looking for. As it turns out, the lesser model numbered ViP DVRs appear to be the ones that will get GoogleTV first.

There is a fee to use the 922 sling feature. Where as the Slingbox has no fees. Google TV has merit if you want to surf on your tv, as most of the content you will watch will be on your dish STB.

There is a fee to use the 922 sling feature. Where as the Slingbox has no fees. Google TV has merit if you want to surf on your tv, as most of the content you will watch will be on your dish STB.

I have the 922 and their is no fee to use the build in sling player. The google box will not let you watch your satellite receiver from ex the iPhone. While the sling box will not search the Internet like google tv. Two separate devices for two separate functions.

tomcrown1 said:
I have the 922 and their is no fee to use the build in sling player.

While not labeled as a separate sling fee, there is a fee. The standard DVR fee is $6/month per account, but if you have a 922 that goes up to $10/month. So in essence, it's a $4/month sling fee.

TV1 remains on after using Sling to mobile???

Picture and Audio dropouts on WNBC in NY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)